• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Thanks for the heads up. I love Peruvian food. I'll see how much time I have to head over there.

DCDeac, thanks for the Vermillion recommendation. It was fantastic.

Is there anywhere in DC to get good dim sum? The once passable spot near Gallery Place has fallen off big time. Someone mentioned a decent option on 14th called Da Hong Pao, might try there.

Is there anywhere in DC to get good dim sum? The once passable spot near Gallery Place has fallen off big time. Someone mentioned a decent option on 14th called Da Hong Pao, might try there.

Lunch or Dinner? Da Hong Pao is legit good, but I can't remember if they do the carts for lunch only. I would just call ahead and ask. Yes it is more expensive than dim sum out in the burbs, but it seemed cheaper than a meal at any sit down place along 14th St after stuffing our faces.

Last edited:

Hazel does dim sum on Sunday, not exactly authentic but supposedly pretty good. Q by Peter Chang in Bethesda. Every where else I know is in VA, Mark's Duck House and Fortune in Falls Church

Went to Da Hong Pao yesterday around 11 am. The food was pretty good but the place was a madhouse. The fire marshall would have had a stroke if he saw how many people were crammed in there.

Going to Mirabelle tonight.

Last few months have been to:

Poca Madre - Awesome. Highly recommend. Great cocktails.
Maketto - Went for dinner, feel like I'd like it even more for brunch. A little too hip, but the food was great.
A Rake's Progress - Gimmicky and pricey, in the new Line Hotel. Food good, nothing special.
Sally's Middle Name - Have been here lots of times for brunch, tried it for dinner, was good, but I was sick as a dog.
Ambar - Fun. More food than humanly possible to eat.
Convivial - Great food, meh atmosphere
Rasika - Incredible. Lives up to the hype.
Tail Up Goat - Very good.
Bresca - Odd decor, but delicious food
Momofuku CCDC - Branzino Sssam all day
Kith and Kin - Very unique food, a little overpriced bc it's in a hotel, but recommended.
Zaytinya - A little disappointed given all the great stuff I'd heard, the place was overcrowded and service very slow and food was really heavy.

Dabney still the best place I've eaten in DC. Will take my wife for her bday again in May.

Oh yea I've been lots of times. I used to stay in the Pod hotel next door before I moved. Whiskey bar in the basement is a gem. If we're eating in Chinatown we usually go there before or after dinner. The roof bar there is great in the summer too.

Love Crimson. Wife and I have hit up the diner for breakfast on weekends a lot, and the basement bar is great, especially for larger groups.

Good list of restaurants you've got up there. Defs go up to Ivy City and check out Gravitas. It's really good.

I think Haikan is my favorite ramen in the city now. Love going there before a movie.

Going to Himitsu in two weeks, looking forward to it.

Went to DC last week and went to Le Diplomate, Centrolina and Bad Saint. Even though Bad Saint gets all the hype, my favorite meal was at Centrolina. Killer soft shell crab app and duck entree. Even loved the semolina cake for dessert and I’m not a big dessert person.

I think Haikan is my favorite ramen in the city now. Love going there before a movie.

Going to Himitsu in two weeks, looking forward to it.

Went to Himitsu last night, really liked it. Drinks were crazy expensive. Bros at the table next to us were somms/bev directors at places around the city and these dudes each brought like six bottles of wine to dinner with them. They ordered a bottle and then sat there and opened at least 10 more bottles to try. I wasn't eavesdropping too hard but caught that one of them worked for Dale Talde up in Brooklyn.

Anyone been to Lapis? Afghan food, looks great http://www.lapisdc.com/supper-menu

Went to Himitsu last night, really liked it. Drinks were crazy expensive. Bros at the table next to us were somms/bev directors at places around the city and these dudes each brought like six bottles of wine to dinner with them. They ordered a bottle and then sat there and opened at least 10 more bottles to try. I wasn't eavesdropping too hard but caught that one of them worked for Dale Talde up in Brooklyn.

Anyone been to Lapis? Afghan food, looks great http://www.lapisdc.com/supper-menu

Went to Lapis a few years ago. Liked it a lot: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...f5479e6bbdd_story.html?utm_term=.13791ed9164f

I'll keep trying to get into Himitsu, but it is just so damn hard to get a reservation/table.

Went to the Dabney for the first time tonight and it was fantastic. Straight to the top of my “awesome place that I can take non-adventurous eating family members”. The baked Virginia is probably the best dessert I’ve had in my life.

Wo, wonder if we were there at the same time. Went last night for the first time in a long time.

El Camino, the mexican spot in my neighborhood, reopened under new ownership a week or two ago after being closed for a year and I finally went in last night and it's so much better than it was before. I'm super cised. Literally everything was better, from the service to the price to the food to the margs to the non-stickiness of the tables. I really hope it survives this time around, because all I want in this world is a halfway decent mexican joint that I can walk to.

El Camino, the mexican spot in my neighborhood, reopened under new ownership a week or two ago after being closed for a year and I finally went in last night and it's so much better than it was before. I'm super cised. Literally everything was better, from the service to the price to the food to the margs to the non-stickiness of the tables. I really hope it survives this time around, because all I want in this world is a halfway decent mexican joint that I can walk to.

We are neighbors! I liked El Camino before, but the bar service was so damn slow. Haven't been since reopening; have you been to Cantina Marina yet:

Also, got Himitsu reservations for our anniversary later this month, stoked!

Went to Seven Reasons last month and really liked it: https://www.sevenreasonsdc.com/menu. Since there were 4 of us we were able to order a ton of dishes.

My wife has this month planned for my bday, not sure where we're going yet. Unconventional Diner and Federalist Pig this weekend for sure though.

Back