• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Three Stars

The Inn at Little Washington

Two Stars

Minibar
Pineapple & Pearls

One Star

Bresca
The Dabney
Fiola
Gravitas (new)
Kinship
Komi
Little Pearl (new)
Masseria
Maydan (new)
Metier
Plume
Rose’s Luxury
Sushi Nakazawa (new)
Sushi Taro
Tail up Goat

Bolded the one's I've been to. Love The Dabney as well as Bad Saint and Thip Khao. I guess I like all of them I've been to. Rose's is great too. Thip Khao is surprisingly kid friendly for lunch. Ok, I'll stop fanboy-ing.

We almost went to Gravitas last weekend, there were plenty of reservations available. We'll see if that continues.

I'm pretty surprised that Fiola continues to get the *. I think that both Fiola Mare and Del Mar are far better restaurants. My two experiences at Fiola were awful and meh, respectively.

Still haven't been to Komi? Surprised at the continued snubs of Bad Saint and Little Serow.

Komi has been doing this weird thing called Happy Gyro every couple months where the restaurant just changes to a fancy gyro place for a month at a time? They're doing it again in October. It isn't an easy reservation to get other times. Just now booked Little Pearl for November.

Some of the ones I haven't been to yet are really pricey (Inn at Little Washington, Pineapple and Pearl, etc) and some don't take reservations.

Metier was a special occasion (I think it's a $200 prix fixe) and minibar was for work (lol).

I'm not balling out like wfudkn.

did Minibar back when it was just a bar within Cafe Atlantico and it was great. wife got on waiting list for my bday, so she booked Vidalia 24 (precursor to Rogue 24) but RJ left Rogue since then and we were gonna chance it with their sous chef when she got a call the day before to get us off the list. I miss Rogue 24, went there a lot. barmini is also great.

Fiola Mare was the only one of his restaurants I went to and it was fantastic.

Never went to Metier, but have been to Kinship and Cityzen.

We did the Inn one year and while the whole experience was nice, and we stayed at a nice hotel just down the street, the food itself left something to be desired after eating at so many other great DC spots.

The new minibar is a whole different gig than the old CA location. Btw, I miss the fuck out of CA. They served a torta at lunch that was soooo good. Metier and Kinship are very different experiences. Metier is quiet and intimate and, in my opinion, the food is much better and more interesting. As for the Inn, I wonder if you went when they were in their slump. We've been quite a few times and there was definitely a dip in quality for a few years back in the early to mid 20-teens. I definitely think that the quality in DC caught up with them and it took some time to figure their shit out. But we went earlier this year and it was fantastic.

It was probably 2014 or 15 when we went to the Inn, so not sure if during the slump or not. before the Michelin guide was announced, at least.

went to Eleven Madison Park for lunch a few months before it was announced they had gotten 3 stars, so you could tell they were trying hard AF to get that recognition. back then they gave you a menu like this and you picked any four courses you wanted and there were tons of canapes, unlisted courses, palate cleansers, etc.

imag1066.jpg

I typically watch at home, but I think that there is an official WF viewing spot at this place on the corner of Indiana Ave. and 7th NW.

is penn quarter a consistent wake spot? there was an "official" gamewatch at stoney's for BC which i didn't attend. i think townie said he watches at midlands.

im always down to go somewhere if there's sound.

Tried two new restaurants this weekend. First was Pom Pom, the replacement to Himitsu. Thought it was great. Really liked the variety of flavors and the uniqueness of everything. Then tonight tried San Lorenzo, which isn’t all that new but I haven’t been before. Thought it was fabulous and appreciated how casual it was. We will absolutely be going back and I hate I’m that it took us so long to get there. Also had a wine from a winery we were at in Etna am two weeks ago which was cool.

Yeah, the omakase room was fantastic. I went a number of times before they got their *, but after that it was virtually impossible to get in. I tried countless times and never once had any luck. And their stupid email only reservation policy was super irritating.

I went once and the other party canceled so it was just me and the chef asked if he could test out some dishes on me. Also got to eat fugu. Didn't taste like much, but looked cool and I can say I've done it.

I went once and the other party canceled so it was just me and the chef asked if he could test out some dishes on me. Also got to eat fugu. Didn't taste like much, but looked cool and I can say I've done it.

Ha I was going to post this. My one fugu experience per their omakase and also on a night focused on different types of snapper. One of the best meals I've ever had. Sad times.

Fugu is definitely one of those experiences you do once to say you’ve done it, but it’s not really good or worth the price. I had fugu 6 ways in a restaurant in S Korea and none of them were memorable.

We did it early on. It was good but like most of the take home stuff it does lose a little in translation. But just getting that Lychee salad...

We did Masseria for my wife's birthday and it was really good. Also some of our friends really liked the Unconventional Diner takeout they got.

Pulled the trigger on Roses for next weekend. I keep trying to get The Dabney but it sells out really fast.

Back