• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

For real. I avoid Dulles at all costs. Only thing worse is BWI.

Yeah, I prefer BWI to Dulles, but I think that is mostly because I live in NE and BWI is much easier to access. If you live in VA I can see why Dulles would be preferable. However, if it was just based on the airports themselves and not the travel time/distance, BWI is much more preferable. Dulles sucks.

Yeah, I prefer BWI to Dulles, but I think that is mostly because I live in NE and BWI is much easier to access. If you live in VA I can see why Dulles would be preferable. However, if it was just based on the airports themselves and not the travel time/distance, BWI is much more preferable. Dulles sucks.

Yeah I guess thats what he was trying to get at but I was guessing he meant the second part.

I live in NW. Dulles takes about 45 mins on a good day whereas BWI is never less than an hour. DCA is 10 minutes.

DCA is obvi best but I live less than 10 mins from Union Station so I can get to BWI quite easily. Also because of where on the Hill I live I'm the last person picked up by SuperShuttle if heading there and the first one dropped off if coming back. But I only use them when I have an early morning flight or get back late on the weekends.

And yeah they just announced this week that Gina will head up the bar at the new Hanks on the Hill (in the old Ba Bay space on Penn Ave). Should be like the other locations but with an emphasis on meat and of course a great bar.

Regarding airports, BWI is 100 times easier to get around (especially if you are flying SW) than Dulles. The people movers, super long security lines and parking all suck at Dulles.

Regarding the thread, I am going to PS7's, bringing a couple of nice bottles of my own wine ($20 corking fee FTW!) and then heading to Proof after. That is the tentative plan at least.

I was hanging at the bar at Oya last night for the first time in years. That place is still weird and over-priced.

This week I've been to Rasika twice (once at each location) and Graffiado twice. For those that haven't tried Graffiado, I defs recommend. There is some really good stuff coming out of that kitchen.

The menu is almost identical and the food was equally awesome. And it's only a couple of blocks from my office, which makes it that much better. And Prez Clinton was there at the same time I was yesterday, which was pretty baller.

So much better than the moon vehicles, though I think one terminal still has them.

I saw a few of them at BWI yesterday by the parking deck. When did they use those there?

The alcoholic shakes at the Bobby Flay place were way better than BTS. The Stag Party shake was particularly horrid, whereas the Vanilla Caramel Bourbon shake at Flay's was awesome. Burgers were solid in both, although I'd give the edge to Flay. The BTS blue cheese burger had the strongest, most overwhelming blue cheese I've ever had in a burger. It was too intense even for me. The Southern Comfort was delicious though.

From Tom Sietsema's chat:

The first drink Gina Chersevani made for chef Jamie Leeds was at 15 Ria in 2003, years before the bar tender became MIXTRESSdc on Twitter and the chef went on to open multiple branches of Hank’s Oyster Bar in Dupont Circle and Old Town Alexandria.

During an interview, Leeds asked Chersevani to make her Ria 15’s signature drink, a Blueberry Smash. Chersevani put whole fruit, mint, lemon juice and rum in a shaker, added some ice, gave it a few shakes and poured the cocktail --- whole berries and all -- into Leeds' glass.

“What’s this?” asked the chef after tasted the concoction, which even the bar tender deemed "terrible."

“I had a lot to learn,” concedes Chersevani, who went on to understand the importance of muddling, to become one of the region’s best-known mixologists and to develop a cult following at the bar at PS 7’s. She left that gig in February, with the idea of doing something on her own.

Instead, as announced yesterday, she and Leeds are collaborating on a third Hank’s Oyster Bar, which is expected to open in June in the old Ba Bay space at 633 Pennsylvania Ave. SE. “This is an incredible opportunity,” says Chersevani, who says she and Leeds have long wanted to work together again. For the first time, “I’m a business partner, not an employee.”

The forthcoming Hank’s Oyster Bar will feature a raw bar and a seafood theme, says Leeds, but its menu will be meatier to accommodate the Hill crowd. The liquid part of the equation will have its own name, Eddy Bar, a reference to “strong water,” says Chersevani, who also has a fresh mantra: “Swirling liquor, turbulent waters.”

“The bar I always wanted” will be stocked with an ice box and a large block of ice, says the cocktail guru. Hank’s on the Hill is months away, but Chersevani has already whipped up some original drinks. One of them swirls together mescal, bulleit rye whiskey, citrus and liquefied salt water taffy. She’s calling it “Deadliest Catch.”

I really like Shake Shack, but I need to try Good Stuff. Heard nothing but goot things. Anyone try Bobby Flay's burger place on K? Kind of a shit location, but it looks pretty good.

Burgers are decent, more similar to BTS burgers than to any of the other places mentioned (which is interesting given that they're essentially a block away from each other). Bobby's is lacking in some of the non-food areas (service, seating arrangement, decor), but still not a bad option.

Got a burger at Good Stuff Eatery for lunch and shared a toasted marshmellow shake. Damn good choice. Had dinner at the Nats game, and the half smoke from Bens Chili Bowl was delicious. Cholesterol going up, but its been totally worth it so far. Nandos for lunch tommorow, and dinner is still undecided.

Nando's? I mean, it's alright, but if you're just in DC to visit for the weekend don't go there. Tons of better options.

Nando's? I mean, it's alright, but if you're just in DC to visit for the weekend don't go there. Tons of better options.

Ive wanted to go there for a while, and I dont plan on going to London anytime soon. I dont have the money to go all out, foodie wise

Boundary Stone is so legit. Great whiskey menu, phenomenal wings, and I tried the Shepherds Pie last night, and it was better than any I've had in the UK or anywhere. The wait staff was excellent and the restaurant is really cool.

Back