• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Virtue is also money for a shepard's pie. Love that place.

I ended up having dinner at Oya in Chinatown. Really cool place with good sushi. I had fun people watching and seeing the floor manager of the place awkwardly hit on all these young girls at the bar and get shut down pretty hard.

Ate dinner at Oyamel for the first time on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed the meatballs and the guac.

I ended up having dinner at Oya in Chinatown. Really cool place with good sushi. I had fun people watching and seeing the floor manager of the place awkwardly hit on all these young girls at the bar and get shut down pretty hard.

That place has some funky decoration. I do enjoy their happy hour specials though. Food is decent, if only slightly overpriced.

I have a friends who has had them. He liked them, but he's also a weirdo. I'm sure they are fine, but I'll never know.

The oyamel tacos are grasshopper, not cricket, and are delicious. They taste like salty crunch. Like a frito without the corn.

The oyamel tacos are grasshopper, not cricket, and are delicious. They taste like salty crunch. Like a frito without the corn.

Yeah. My B. I've been to Oyamel 3 or 4 times, and every time they've been out of them. Terrible luck, I suppose.

Any brunch recommendations on the green line? Or better to just go to one of the red line places?

Going to the Nats game Sunday (1:35pm start) and looking to grab brunch w/ drinks beforehand. I'm assuming Saturday will be a late night so we won't want to wake up too early, making time fairly important.

What say you, DC crew?

A lot of places in Chinatown do a decent brunch. Ping Pong has an all you can eat dim sum that is good. I really like Acadiana's brunch as well, but may not be ideal if you are on a time crunch. People also really like the brunch at Matchbox, but I've never been.

Any brunch recommendations on the green line? Or better to just go to one of the red line places?

Going to the Nats game Sunday (1:35pm start) and looking to grab brunch w/ drinks beforehand. I'm assuming Saturday will be a late night so we won't want to wake up too early, making time fairly important.

What say you, DC crew?

A lot of places in Chinatown do a decent brunch. Ping Pong has an all you can eat dim sum that is good. I really like Acadiana's brunch as well, but may not be ideal if you are on a time crunch. People also really like the brunch at Matchbox, but I've never been.

Acadiana brunch is awesome, but it's 3 courses and you will leave quite full. Maybe not a great pre-ballgame stop.

I haven't been to the Chinatown Matchbox for brunch, but have enjoyed brunch at the one on Barracks Row before. The Bloody Mary Burger is tasty.

If you want to venture up to Columbia Heights, The Heights has a decent brunch. Food is more or less traditional brunch stuff, but their Bloody Mary menu is pretty sweet.

I've never been, but have a few friends that have raved about the brunch at Ulah Bistro on U St. as well.

I've got a couple invitations for a Remy Martin tasting event tonight, tomorrow or Thursday at the French Embassy. Rep or PM me your email address and I'll sign you up to receive an invitation.

Went to Fiola (fabio's restaurant) this weekend and it was pretty freaking delicious.

want to go there. anyone done the omakase at Sushi Taro? I have a gift card there, so wouldn't mind putting that towards it. it's across the street from my office, so would be easy to treat myself one night after work.

Done it a couple times. It is a little hit or miss. First time we went, sardines were in season, so we had a lot of different kinds of raw sardines. Not my thing. The second time we went it was Snapper season, and they had all kinds of stuff I'd never heard of. Plus that had Fugu which was really awesome.

Either way the last course is choose whatever you want, and it's kinda fun to pick the $12/each pieces off the sushi menu. The first course can be interesting - it's just "of the season" and included a live conch where they coaxed the guy out and then stuck a toothpick through him, along with a purple baby squid that popped when you ate it. That one was a bit much for me.

I didn't think any of the cooked dishes were all that good, so I'd stick to the sushi version unless you're not really into sushi.

On a side note, I took the parents to Bibiana the other night... That place is just getting better and better. Probably one of the top Italian places in DC now. We got a Burrata and Oyster dish that was ridiculously good.

so when were sardines and snapper in season? love sushi, and definitely would steer towards the snapper if possible.

I think that was in October for Sardines. February for Snapper. Who knows...

As long as you're adventurous and really enjoy sushi, it's a great experience. You get a ton of sushi - so just be prepared for a few things you may not love.

Here's a clip I took of one of our dishes:

o6lfi.gif

(just kidding)

I'm pretty adventurous and down. If you don't mind my asking, what did it come out to per person?

I'm pretty adventurous and down. If you don't mind my asking, what did it come out to per person?

We had Groupons both times for the Kaiseke tasting, can't remember the deal, but it's $75 each normally + drinks. Think it was maybe half off for Groupon so under $150 for the night. Not bad.

Back