• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

So as not to clog up other threads with DC talk, I thought I'd put this here, since this seems to be the de facto DC talk thread. It's a list of the 25 douchiest bars in DC. Link here.

Here's the list, and since I have been to some, I've added my commentary.

4. Lucky Bar - They have soccer on, so maybe I haven't noticed the douchiness, or maybe i've been one of the douches.
Don't really think of this as a douchey bar but I've got a friend who bartends there so maybe that's made me impartial.
7. Mad Hatter
Definitely douchey. Though the girls there are all about one nighters.
10. Public Bar - Went once and will never go back. Nothing but a bunch of turds.
Different levels bring very different crowds. Top floor patio tries to go Vegas nightclub and bottle service is only like $300. But you'd be getting bottle service at a bar in DC. Silly.
16. Rhino Bar & Pumphouse - haven't been in years, but it's in the terrible part of G'town, so it doesn't surprise me that it's on the list.
Fine place to watch baseball during the summer. Haven't gone during the school year but I hear it's horrible. Lots of underage dudes.
18. Sign of the Whale
Guy to girl ratio is never greater than 5 to 1. And it's always horribly crowded.

Pretty surprised Fur nightclub or a couple of the others weren't included.

4. Lucky Bar - They have soccer on, so maybe I haven't noticed the douchiness, or maybe i've been one of the douches.
9. Recessions - Only been once or twice, but don't recall it being that terrible.
10. Public Bar - Went once and will never go back. Nothing but a bunch of turds.
12. Rocket Bar - Hate this fucking place. Unfortunately I will be there tonight.
17. My Brother's Place
22. The Front Page - It's fucking hill staffer paradise. Avoid avoid avoid.

Lucky Bar/Public Bar are probably my least favorite bars in DC. I think if you've only gone and watched soccer at Lucky bar, you have no idea how terrible it can be on Friday/Saturday nights when the upstairs turns into a dance club.

Recessions douchey? Eh. It's probably the crappiest, worst-decorated bar in DC (and kinda creepy to boot)... but that typically keeps the douches away IMO (definitely not a lot of girls). I was a big fan back when I actually had happy hours and could go knock out 6 or 7 King Kong beers for like 3/4$ (or whatevers it is). In essence, it's a great place to go if you want to get hammered before 7pm.

I kind of like Rocket Bar just because they have so many shuffleboard and pool tables. The beer isn't terribly priced either. I still enjoy going with co-workers and nabbing a shuffleboard for 1 or 2 hours. It's so spacious that it never feels too packed (I've never been before/after a game or concert, though).

My Brother's Place is one of DF09Toy's fave spots on Fridays. I hate the bar/clientele, but when they're selling beer for $.25 - $1.25 on Friday nights, I deal with it.

Front page definitely sucks. Most bars in Dupont Circle do (common theme on this list). When I was unemployed in DC, though, it was nice to be able to grab free Taco's on Thursdays with $2 Coronas. The trick was to get there early (unemployed!) and nab a big table for all your friends so you didn't have to deal with the douchey crowd that came pouring in at 5pm on the dot.

you are more than welcome

Yeyeyeye.

I wonder if we bring a big enough contingent if we can get them to put on a Wake Forest game this fall? Would much rather drink corruption + whiskey while watching our march to the Orange Bowl than lukewarm pitchers at Touchdown.

I need to make reservations for my 2 year anniversary on September 5th. Any ideas DC'ers?

I've got a gift card for Blue Duck Tavern, but seems tacky to use that on a special date.

a friend of mine also had a food truck kick off recently. cirque cuisine is the name. the truck is circus themed, but it doesnt really tie to the food (which is weird, and i told her she needs cotton candy machine). the food is really good, and it's organic and healthy. the menu rotates different regionally inspred fare, and she does mexican, asian, and middle eastern really well. it's probably the best quality of food i've had in a truck so far, and if youre lucky i will have helped with the prep. the chef moved back to the area recently after working at a bunch of silly restaurants in denver and san fran. check it out, so she'll make bank and hopefully open a restaurant in our neighborhood (bloomingdale).

Just reading through this thread again. Crazy your friend owns this truck.

It is definitely one of my favorites. The fig/prosciutto/goatcheese flatbread they've had on the menu for the past 2 weeks is incredible.

nice. i'll tell her you said that. spread the good word because they rule.

what are you looking for in the din?

nice. i'll tell her you said that. spread the good word because they rule.

what are you looking for in the din?

Yeah. I've definitely spread the word when I can... most of my coworkers were out-the-door and on the way to the truck after they saw my pizza last week. I'd be ecstatic if they opened up a brick and mortar restaurant in Bloomingdale.

I'm just looking for something delicious and at least partially romantic/close. No real limit on price. I was leaning towards Rasika (still haven't been) or Zaytinya(sp? she's been, but I still haven't).. but not sure if I want to go that ethnic with it.

Rasika is des awesome and worth the hype. The new West End location is really nice and the food is just as good. Would she be interested in something like Little Serow? Though I dunno you might want an actual res for your anniversary. Zaytinya is one of my favorite places in DC and I find myself there a lot. I've heard great things about the redesigned Jaleo. Went to Proof recently on a date night and we had a great time.

I want to try the new Hanks on the Hill since it's really close to my place and they have Gina running the bar. Also want to try Churchkey's new chicken dinner:

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/bestbites/special-dinners/9-fried-chicken-nights-to-try-now.php

I have never been to Blue Duck, but if your only concern is using a gift card on a special occasion, I wouldn't let that deter you. Think of it that you can spend what you would on another restaurant, plus you have the gift card, so you could spring for a more expensive bottle of wine or a tasting menu or something you wouldn't normally do on a regular night out to dinner.

That said, Rasika is great. It's pretty loud and not so much "romantic," but the food is awesome. Haven't been to the West End version yet. Zaytinya is also great, but definitely a hot spot, so can get loud.

I always love Corduroy since it has consistently great food, but is a bit quieter to be able to talk to and enjoy the people you're eating with.

i was thinking cordoroy as well. it's also really close to b-dale, so you can rush home for april 15th.

cordoroy has the perfect ambience for a special date because it's small and the waitstaff is great in my experience. like ladydeac said, it's quiet too. we had a booth in the back of the restaurant that was so secluded (you may ask about it). the tasting menu w/ pairings is really reasonable as well (i think like 115 or something).

I've meant to check out corduroy for like 10 years now and just never have. I think I'll have to finally go, because I've heard nothing but good things.

Blue Duck is getting awesome reviews with their new chef (both by Kliman and Sietsema), so might be worth checking out soon. my lady and I have loved it in the past but I want to see what it's like now.

I LOVE Corduroy and have been trying to go at least once a year for the last probably 6-7 years? Tom Power is the best. Even better is the $30 3-course menu you can get at the bar every night. Nom nom nom.

I went to fiola's pretty recently (fabio's restaurant) and I thought it was really good. and I could defs see it as a romantic place. tasting menu really wasn't that expensive compared to a lot of places.

If you're thinking Italian and Fiola is too tough to get a table, Bibiana is killing it right now. Nice atmosphere, great food. Had a burrata and oyster dish there that was one of the best things I've eaten all year.

Back