• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Jesus that sucks. We left R&R Hotel around like 1 am a few months ago and came outside to see a bunch of cops and ambulances a block away tending to some guy who got shot.

Everyone gets robbed on H St. eventually. It is not a safe neighborhood by any means. That said, it's still a great neighborhood.

As for my fav bars in town:

Bounday Stone - obviously

Bourbon (Glover Park) - I've lived a short walk away since the day it opened and know the staff and management fairly well. It started out great, got pretty bad for a few years, and is back to being great.

Pug - Shitbox dive, but I get the major hookup there. The manager is a friend.

Lil Miss Whiskeys - Just a great little bar, and a little eccentric.

I like Passenger when it's not crowded, but on very busy nights I can't stand it.

Never been to the Gibson, but that's going to change soon.

df2009, talked to MY GURL from cirque for a bit yesterday. i told her how you preach the gospel of cirque lunch, and apparently they are killing it now and have to buy a new walk-in to keep up with demand. AND they are thinking of starting a second truck. the new truck would be quiches and salads and healthy shiz. she said she'd work on the cirque truck, and let someone else handle taht one as it would be less strenuous. i asked her about an actual restaurant and she said not yet.

i saw her when i was walking to the farmer's market late, so i stopped back by where she preps and met my dog walker (who happens to also be a prep cook for her). hilarious. i love our 'hood.

she's doing a hanger steak with chimichurri this week that sounded awesome.

I'm only going to BS from now on when I'm in DC.

it is killing it on yelp. might need to go check it out.

omg and the human block head. may have to go tonight.

and gulden draak. gawd. and old rasputing. great beer list on tap.

its about a mile and a half east of us. i believe ladydeac lives in brookland

I had Old Rasputin on tap a couple months ago. It was like 95 degrees and I was eating shrimp so it didn't make sense at all but damn it was delicious. Definitely a top beer.

it's my favorite beer that is readily available year round. NOM NOM NOM

phan, etc, have you checked out Menomale yet?

nopers... you?

it is killing it on yelp. might need to go check it out.

no but I've heard it's good. isn't it in your hood?

its about a mile and a half east of us. i believe ladydeac lives in brookland

I LOVE MENOMALE! It is about 2 blocks from my house, so we've been probably 6-8 times now? We went on opening night, have done carry out twice, and have taken both sets of parents and some friends. Everyone is a fan.

It is tiny though, so be prepared. There are literally about 14-16 table seats and then about 6 seats at the bar, so there can be a wait. We've had the most success early in the evening (between 5-6pm) or at lunch time on Saturday or Sunday.

If you like beer, Menomale us definitely a must-visit. The co-owners are a couple of young guys (mid-20s I think). One is Italian and is the pizziolo who studied pizza-making in Naples (the oven goes up to some crazy temperature and cooks the pizzas in like 60 seconds). The other owners is a self-proclaimed "beer nerd" and is obsessed with the drink service. They usually have 20 beers on tap (for a max 20 seat restaurant!) and he will happily explain the beers and help you pick one. He usually also offers a small taste of it before pouring a whole glass.

The pizzas are obvi awesome (our favorite so far is the Bianca) and the calzone we tried once was good. We also really really liked the panuozzo, which are basically giant sandwiches served on pizza dough. The pollo verde is our favorite of those. And you MUST get la bomba for dessert. Pizza dough stuffed with Nutella. Nom nom nom. :drool:

I suppose I am not really an impartial judge since I'm just excited to have a "gourmet" type restaurant walkable in my hood, but it's also getting great reviews on Yelp and DR.com (and I think Don Rockwell called it one of the best pizza places in the area).

I've now figured out who you are :sketch:

lol @ the tag

is that really surprising? on wednesdays and thursdays, MY BOY comes by to walk the dog midday so myself and the lady can work late or go to HHs or whatever with out feeling we have to be home by 6.

Back