• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Oh man I was just thinking about what silly place I should get my fam to go to for Christmas Eve dinner, but were going to KC to see the BABY.

it's only $65.

i think that's why my fiance likes it so much. it is all pretty straight forward, well prepared food. we had the choice of the game (antelope?) instead of wagyu, but i passed.

With the wine pairings? Thats not bad at all.

had another great experience at cordoroy last week. tasting with wine pairings. here's a rundown on the menu:

bread->kabocha squash soup (champagne) ->tuna tartar (german crisp white) ->seared scallops with mushrooms and a green that i forget (some white i forget)->braised chicken (pinot noir)->wagyu filet (cabernet i think, it was a big red)->apple and puff pastry tart with caramel ice cream/dark chocolate bar thingy with caramel ice cream (two desert wines).

can't believe how much you get. sooo good too.

I think that was the same menu we had when we went a couple of weeks ago. Really good.

Finally checked out the new Thai/sushi place, Aroi , on First. Didn't have the Thai and went with the sushi. It was actually good. Not saying it was Sushiko or Sushi Taro or anything, but it was definitely good and I will have no hesitation to go back. My biggest complaint was that the nigiri was a little too big, though not as gigantic as some other places I've been. I prefer my nigiri in the more traditional Japanese style of not flopping all over the edge of the rice. But still, I'll be going back.

no. the wine pairings are an additional $50.

That makes more sense.

In keeping with the op, went to Ooah and Aaahs last night. My God, what a delicious dive. I got the fried catfish and it was like three huge filets piled on top of each other. Couldnt even come close to finishing my food.

Also went to Standard to get a drink beforehand since it was such a nice night out. Anyone ever eaten there? The food smelled fantastic.

the food's very good. i've had a braut, some pulled pork, the fried pickles, and one time i talked my friends in to the below (the best thing we've eaten there):

29mqgw3.jpg

we go there a fair amount during summer.

the pighead is pretty awesome. tastes great, and you are the star of the show (if youre in to that sort of thing).

I still salivate over the cheek I had when we did our annual pig roast in a box for last year's tailgate.

pork cheek is defs where it's at. I make a great ragu with both veal cheek and pork cheek.

where do you buy the cheeks

Organic Butcher in McLean can order them for you. Fresh Market and Whole Foods probs can as well. There are probably other independent butchers in town that will do it as well.

Finally checked out the new Thai/sushi place, Aroi , on First. Didn't have the Thai and went with the sushi. It was actually good. Not saying it was Sushiko or Sushi Taro or anything, but it was definitely good and I will have no hesitation to go back. My biggest complaint was that the nigiri was a little too big, though not as gigantic as some other places I've been. I prefer my nigiri in the more traditional Japanese style of not flopping all over the edge of the rice. But still, I'll be going back.

Yep. I went this past weekend and this was the same impression I had. Not the best Sushi in town, but it's really affordable (Winston Salem sushi prices) and good for the price. Will definitely hit the spot when I'm craving Sushi.

I also really liked that they were BYOB. I don't know if that's the long-term plan, but I hope it is.

OH SHIT BYOB

Yeah. It's awesome because it's right beside Bloomingdale Liquors. I don't know if they're doing it long-term, or just because they don't have a license yet... but I hope it's the former.

I know that they had a liquor license application displayed on the window a few weeks ago, but I don't know what the status is. Still didn't have booze yesterday.

Back