• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I need to get to Standard. Although I love in that article the first comment is "o hell no."

I'm also very angry at myself for never having tried Hill Country before last week. Had their beef shoulder, pork spare rib, sausage... Best bbq I've ever had around here.

still need to get to Toki. Was on H St on Sunday night and wanted to try them, but found out they're closed on Sun. so we tried Sticky Rice but they had a big wait. Ended up at Schwafel and it was pretty damn tasty.

Everything on H has a long wait. Toki is usually 90 minutes or so (last night was an hour). But completely worth it. You absolutely need to go. Shawafel is awesome though. Love that place.

I think Toki now takes reservations for off hours. Will have to look into that. Also Erik Bruner-Yang is supposedly putting in some kind of Asian Eastern Market along H St I read.

I think my favorite H St places are still Granville Moore's and Ethiopic, but I wish the latter was closer to the Atlas District part, it's relatively isolated, though makes for an easy walk home if I'm just having dinner and not going out.

Only for 6:00 and before. And yeah, he's putting in a new spot. Should be opening soon.

I like Granville okay. I've had some really good meals there, but I've had two horrible experiences as well, and the bad always sticks out more than the good. I really want to try Ethiopic. Heard nothing but good things.

Ethiopic is great. definitely recommend the veggie sampler, and if you have enough people, the meat sampler. if just like 2 of you, go with the veggie sampler and lamb tibs. gotta get the tibs.

see I've had nothing but great experiences at Granville, but then, we've ordered nothing but mussels and frites every time we've gone.

I don't know what tibs are, but I like the sound of it.

Their mussels and frites are always good. My bad experiences were with other menu items.

lamb-tibs.jpg

description from some blog I found:

There was one dish that really stood out in my mind though: their signature lamb tibs ($16). Boneless leg of lamb is quickly sauteed with red onions, garlic, jalepenos, tomatoes, and rosemary, and served tableside in a sizzling pot. The lamb was tender and flavorful, and like all the other dishes, spicy as heck. But in contrast to the other meat dishes, the flavor of the meat really shined through and enhanced the dish.

Going to CityZen for bday dinner in a few weeks. Anyone been? Recs?

lamb-tibs.jpg

description from some blog I found:

There was one dish that really stood out in my mind though: their signature lamb tibs ($16). Boneless leg of lamb is quickly sauteed with red onions, garlic, jalepenos, tomatoes, and rosemary, and served tableside in a sizzling pot. The lamb was tender and flavorful, and like all the other dishes, spicy as heck. But in contrast to the other meat dishes, the flavor of the meat really shined through and enhanced the dish.

:drool: must have

I go to Toki once every couple of weeks. Inexpensive and my favorite meal in town. Granville Moores is also fantastic. The marinere mussles are outrageous.

yo phan what's the name of the Ethiopian place we always go to that I'm pretty sure is a front for an illegitimate business.

I go to Toki once every couple of weeks. Inexpensive and my favorite meal in town. Granville Moores is also fantastic. The marinere mussles are outrageous.

It's amazing how cheap it is. I scraped my bowl clean last night.

Back