• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I've read blacksalt has taken a big step back.

Was that recently? They brought in a new chef over the summer and the last few times I went it was better than it ever had been. I haven't been in a couple of months, so I can't speak to anything super recent.

It was either Kliman or Sietsema who panned it recently.

Went to BDT on Saturday, first time there with their new chef and the results didn't disappoint. Wish my fiance was adventerous enough to want to split the marrow app -- I felt like too much of a glutton to do it on my own.

The new cheese steak place the Taylor Deli guys opened on H St kind of sucks. Expensive too.

Went yesterday. The price didn't bother me that much, but I was disappointed in the steak. I know some places in Philly don't chop their steak, but I definitely prefer mine chopped. It was way too chewy and I had many pieces pull out of the sandwich with each bite. I liked the decor though.

It was either Kliman or Sietsema who panned it recently.

Went to BDT on Saturday, first time there with their new chef and the results didn't disappoint. Wish my fiance was adventerous enough to want to split the marrow app -- I felt like too much of a glutton to do it on my own.

Went to BDT twice over the last week and a half (once for lunch and once for dinner). Had the bone marrow both times, and it was amazing (not meaning to taunt you...but def order it next time you go). I'm a fairly adventurous eater, but I don't think I would count marrow as THAT crazy (not like most offal). At BDT it mostly just tastes like very savory, garlicy, peppery, oily, spread.

Hey DC deacs... Friend of mine is looking for a good place to have an engagement party. Thinking of a bar/restaurant with a private space or something else (ideas?). Probably would have 50-60 people and be 3-4 hours. Any ideas?

We had a thing there following my grandfather's funeral at Arlington Cemetary. My mom actually emailed Tom Sietsema for suggestions and he mentioned them specifically.

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot. They are reaching out now for price and availability. The game parlor looks perfect

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot. They are reaching out now for price and availability. The game parlor looks perfect

Love that place. The game parlor is awesome. Food is consistently solid and the prices are reasonable. Not surprised it's a great place to host an event.

Was that recently? They brought in a new chef over the summer and the last few times I went it was better than it ever had been. I haven't been in a couple of months, so I can't speak to anything super recent.

Not super recent so maybe they are back on track.

Booked myself a seat at the Sushi Taro omakase counter on 2/12. Pretty pumped.

Booked myself a seat at the Sushi Taro omakase counter on 2/12. Pretty pumped.

I really need to do this. I have to find someone to do it with me though, as I don't think my wife could handle it. She doesn't do very well with the weird stuff.

I'm flying solo. My fiance definitely couldn't handle it, so I'll do it on a day where she's not in town. will be easy to just wait in my office until dinner time.

I think someone on this thread mentioned there is a good Thai place that is BYOB, somewhere in NE or something? I can't find it on the thread but I heard it mentioned the other day again by a friend of a friend. What was the name of it?

Went to Thai-Xing most recently last week. It is so awesome. I'm so happy it's a 5 minute walk from my house. Food is as good as Little Serow and getting in is way less of a PITA (especially with their new online system). And the BYOB is just gravy on top. 4 of us went through 3 bottles of wine and a growler of DC Brau and didn't have to pay restaurant prices. Good times.

just realized I had a Living Social to Kushi expiring this weekend so booked myself a spot there tomorrow night. couldn't find someone to come along so I'll just gorge myself on sushi.

Finally checked out Mintwood Place last night. Place is very good, and I really liked the lively (loud) atmosphere. We will absolutely be going back.

Back