• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I went to Graffiato once (big Top Chef fan) and thought it was super mediocre and really overpriced. I keep hearing good things but I'm not going back any time soon.

BLASPHEMY.

But yea, if you don't want to spend too much, I'd try Nando's or Ella's. There's also a place around 7th and G called Redline that has some solid bar food and a bunch of TVs.

That fucking pizza with the egg on top is one of the best things I can ever remember eating.

yeah it's great. truffles, fontina, runny duck egg? what's not to love?

I've been about 4x and haven't eaten a bad thing there.

yeah it's great. truffles, fontina, runny duck egg? what's not to love?

I've been about 4x and haven't eaten a bad thing there.

The first time I went, my gf's friend who is a sous chef there was working so we got 4 or 5 extra dishes (for free) that weren't on the menu. That was an awesome dinner.

The second time, they forgot to put in one of our dishes, but eventually we reordered and got it. They made up for it by giving us a free dessert, and eventually a second free dessert since they apparently put in our cake order twice. Also an awesome dinner!

BLASPHEMY.

But yea, if you don't want to spend too much, I'd try Nando's or Ella's. There's also a place around 7th and G called Redline that has some solid bar food and a bunch of TVs.

Lolz. I would never eat at Redline. It's not their fault (the blame goes to the restaurant before them that closed), but they've got a serious cockroach problem. My office is located above them, those motherf*ckers make it up here all the time.

Redline is a solid spot to watch games, although its usually slammed before Caps/Wiz games.

Lolz. I would never eat at Redline. It's not their fault (the blame goes to the restaurant before them that closed), but they've got a serious cockroach problem. My office is located above them, those motherf*ckers make it up here all the time.

Ha. And this is how I learned Deacfan's office is two blocks from mine...

But real talk, go to Corduroy.

Edit: Damn, didn't read inexpensive. Still keeping the recommendation up for anyone else interested in trying it.

Does this place back up to an alley where there's an art gallery or something? We went to that white night art festival over the summer and found ourselves in some back alley near the convention center. There was a restaurant back there and we peered in the window and it looked amazing.

I think you're thinking of Rogue 24, which is down an alley. RJ Cooper (former chef at Vidalia and James Beard winner) just opened it a few months ago. 24 course and full-on "dinner theatre" with an open kitchen at the middle of the restaurant. I want to go there soon.

I think you're thinking of Rogue 24, which is down an alley. RJ Cooper (former chef at Vidalia and James Beard winner) just opened it a few months ago. 24 course and full-on "dinner theatre" with an open kitchen at the middle of the restaurant. I want to go there soon.

He's having heart surgery and there's guest chefs for the next few weeks. Brian Voltaggio is there this week, the rest of the line-up is more than impressive. Might be a good time to check it out but it won't be 'normal' if you will. I wanna go but I doubt I can find anyone willing to drop $185/head

http://dc.eater.com/archives/2011/12/28/all-manner-of-famous-chefs-will-be-filling-in-for-rj-cooper-at-rogue-24-next-month.php

I told a girl she should be my girlfriend so I can go to this with her and drop serious coinage. She didn't bite.

Thanks. Yeah that must be it. Kitchen seemed to be right in the middle of the restaurant like you said. You would never know the place is there.

I'd spend that kind of money at Komi first, but Rogue 24 is definitely interesting.

I will say it's probably the only place in DC where you can have 24 courses of food and leave hungry...

I'd spend that kind of money at Komi first, but Rogue 24 is definitely interesting.

I will say it's probably the only place in DC where you can have 24 courses of food and leave hungry...

my gf just took me to Komi for my bday in Nov and it was incredible. she took me to minibar the year before, so we're always looking to what's great in the city. still need to hit Citronelle, Rogue, and a few others.

Oh my God I wish I'd never read this.

Agreed. Getting a preset menu at Oyamel is definitely going to end up in fail every time.

We went one week during Restaurant week and were seated at the ceviche bar (#awesome). The chefs were talking us up and letting us know what a rip-off the restaurant week menu was.

I had and awesome experience sitting at the ceviche bar for dinner a year ago or so. We were in seats at the far right, in the corner next to the windows. Such an awesome place to sit and linger over a meal.

I'm completely done with Restaurant Week. I have had so many mediocre experiences over the years. The service sucks, the portions are small, and the quality of the food is often decreased. The price isn't even anything that great unless you are going to a $$$$ place, considering that I usually don't order a dessert when eating out.

Back