Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 2147

Thread: Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

  1. #61
    Shit's always going down in Chinatown!

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by DDeac08 View Post
    I had and awesome experience sitting at the ceviche bar for dinner a year ago or so. We were in seats at the far right, in the corner next to the windows. Such an awesome place to sit and linger over a meal.

    I'm completely done with Restaurant Week. I have had so many mediocre experiences over the years. The service sucks, the portions are small, and the quality of the food is often decreased. The price isn't even anything that great unless you are going to a $$$$ place, considering that I usually don't order a dessert when eating out.
    lunch is by far the better value, especially because the dinner menu is usually the same. if I hit a dinner place, it'll be one that normally has fairly expensive entrees to begin with. and the key to maximize your value is to go for more expensive proteins (eg, not salmon or chicken). went to Oval Room 2 nights ago and it was fantastic, actually. one other perk of going for dinner is that you can drink since they have bottles of wine on RW special. can't do that at a weekday lunch.

  3. #63
    best restaurant week deal i had was fogo.

    i cant believe people get the guacamole at oyamel talk about a rip-off

  4. #64
    I love making guac and in my opinion make pretty decent stuff. I hate when going out with a group somewhere and people always want to get it. such a ripoff.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    lunch is by far the better value, especially because the dinner menu is usually the same.
    Agree with Barca on the lunch thing. Went to Rasika for Restaurant Week Lunch on Monday and the portions we got were pretty significant. Food was absolutely delicious as well.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    my gf just took me to Komi for my bday in Nov and it was incredible. she took me to minibar the year before, so we're always looking to what's great in the city. still need to hit Citronelle, Rogue, and a few others.
    The other thing you should do is the 7x7 menu at PS7's. Outside of Komi it's the best dining experience I've had in DC. (Although I haven't done Restaurant Eve's tasting menu yet or Minibar yet...)

    They can only do it when the head chef and Gina are both working, and they give you a wax-sealed personal menu they work out the night before. It's 7 courses paired with 7 cocktails, served around the outside corner of the bar. It's not on the website or anything, you have to call and ask the hostess and they can set up a time. Even with the cocktails it's cheaper than Komi.

    Highlights were a smoked veal tenderloin steak that was a perfect medium rare, still have no idea how they did that - and they had a duck dish paired with a bourbon cocktail that had been re-fermenting for 30 days in mason jars under the bar with figs. Anyway, it was awesome, highly recommended. Our whole group thought it was a solid step above Rogue 24.

  7. #67
    headed to Sushi Taro tomorrow. they have a great deal for RW lunch, but it's right across from my office.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    The other thing you should do is the 7x7 menu at PS7's. Outside of Komi it's the best dining experience I've had in DC. (Although I haven't done Restaurant Eve's tasting menu yet or Minibar yet...)

    They can only do it when the head chef and Gina are both working, and they give you a wax-sealed personal menu they work out the night before. It's 7 courses paired with 7 cocktails, served around the outside corner of the bar. It's not on the website or anything, you have to call and ask the hostess and they can set up a time. Even with the cocktails it's cheaper than Komi.

    Highlights were a smoked veal tenderloin steak that was a perfect medium rare, still have no idea how they did that - and they had a duck dish paired with a bourbon cocktail that had been re-fermenting for 30 days in mason jars under the bar with figs. Anyway, it was awesome, highly recommended. Our whole group thought it was a solid step above Rogue 24.
    oh wow that sounds awesome. I love Gina's cocktails, so this sounds like a great thing. do you mind if I ask cost per person? Komi I think is $135 plus wine.

    and Eve has been on my list as well. I actually haven't hit any of his places in Old Town, but then, I rarely venture over there any way.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    oh wow that sounds awesome. I love Gina's cocktails, so this sounds like a great thing. do you mind if I ask cost per person? Komi I think is $135 plus wine.

    and Eve has been on my list as well. I actually haven't hit any of his places in Old Town, but then, I rarely venture over there any way.
    It's $107 cocktails included I believe. Gina was hysterical - by the end of the night some bar people were arguing over the tab and she got pissed off at them, poured us all shots of Jamison and then of some 23 year old rum she had stashed in the back. Then she started passing out high life cans. I was hammered when we left. Really fun experience. The head chef, Peter, was really cool as well and far more talented than I realized going in.

    I live in Old Town, great food but a little quiet on the night-life side for me. Eve is awesome obviously, the same crew just opened an upscale pub called Virtue which is also great and more laid back. Both are worth the trip, along with Vermillion and maybe Brabo.

  10. #70
    yeah I was gonna go to Virtue a few weeks ago, but we didn't end up going over to Old Town, but I've heard great things. also want to hit PX (plus Columbia Room).

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    The other thing you should do is the 7x7 menu at PS7's. Outside of Komi it's the best dining experience I've had in DC. (Although I haven't done Restaurant Eve's tasting menu yet or Minibar yet...)

    They can only do it when the head chef and Gina are both working, and they give you a wax-sealed personal menu they work out the night before. It's 7 courses paired with 7 cocktails, served around the outside corner of the bar. It's not on the website or anything, you have to call and ask the hostess and they can set up a time. Even with the cocktails it's cheaper than Komi.

    Highlights were a smoked veal tenderloin steak that was a perfect medium rare, still have no idea how they did that - and they had a duck dish paired with a bourbon cocktail that had been re-fermenting for 30 days in mason jars under the bar with figs. Anyway, it was awesome, highly recommended. Our whole group thought it was a solid step above Rogue 24.
    Thanks for the tip. This sounds amazing.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    It's $107 cocktails included I believe. Gina was hysterical - by the end of the night some bar people were arguing over the tab and she got pissed off at them, poured us all shots of Jamison and then of some 23 year old rum she had stashed in the back. Then she started passing out high life cans. I was hammered when we left. Really fun experience. The head chef, Peter, was really cool as well and far more talented than I realized going in.

    I live in Old Town, great food but a little quiet on the night-life side for me. Eve is awesome obviously, the same crew just opened an upscale pub called Virtue which is also great and more laid back. Both are worth the trip, along with Vermillion and maybe Brabo.
    What's that place that's in a basement and packed but has some sweet dancing action?

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by rjequalsmj View Post
    What's that place that's in a basement and packed but has some sweet dancing action?
    The Bayou room? Weird shit goes on down there...

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    The Bayou room? Weird shit goes on down there...
    Maybe, I don't know I've only been there twice but both times it was awesome.

  15. #75
    I really only do restaurant week for lunch.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    It's $107 cocktails included I believe. Gina was hysterical - by the end of the night some bar people were arguing over the tab and she got pissed off at them, poured us all shots of Jamison and then of some 23 year old rum she had stashed in the back. Then she started passing out high life cans. I was hammered when we left. Really fun experience. The head chef, Peter, was really cool as well and far more talented than I realized going in.

    I live in Old Town, great food but a little quiet on the night-life side for me. Eve is awesome obviously, the same crew just opened an upscale pub called Virtue which is also great and more laid back. Both are worth the trip, along with Vermillion and maybe Brabo.
    love ps7. i'll have to try this.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by deacphan View Post
    love ps7. i'll have to try this.
    If someone does hit this up be sure to post about it. I don't know anyone else who's done it and I'm curious whether it's always that good or if we caught them on a great night. The veal dish was the best thing I ate in 2011.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    If someone does hit this up be sure to post about it. I don't know anyone else who's done it and I'm curious whether it's always that good or if we caught them on a great night. The veal dish was the best thing I ate in 2011.
    I called them and am waiting to get some menus from them (she said it'd be around 3 when she could send). I think I'm going to do it later this month with my gf.

  19. #79
    i'll have to wait until my gf is out of busy season unless we can fo it later on a saturday (seems like it'd be hard to get them to schedule you for that)...

  20. #80
    when I called they said they did it on weeknights I think at 7 and Sats at 8.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •