• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Went to Chez Billy again tonight. It's quickly becoming one of my fav places in town. If you don't get the chicken liver app then you are missing the fuck out. It is ridiculously good.

if you haven't tried Lupo Verde at 14th and T, you should. I live a block away and have gotten to know the folks there, so it's sort of become my spot latey.

Did the tasting menu at Iron Gate last Friday night. Pricey but very good. Think the tasting menu at Corduroy was better, fwiw.

I've been wanting to try Iron Gate. Does Lupo become a shitshow like most other places on 14th or is it relatively easy to get into?

I've been wanting to try Iron Gate. Does Lupo become a shitshow like most other places on 14th or is it relatively easy to get into?

It is not a shitshow in the sense that it is more mature and subdued than most of 14th Street. But it has become very tough to get a res. at a decent time on a weekend night. Book in advance. We tend to go late on weekends.

Request to sit upstairs.

Food is very good, though i preferred the winter/spring menu to the summer variations. Actually reasonably priced, sans wine. Pasta made in-house. Great charcuterie from the meat & cheese shop downstairs. People are great.

if you haven't tried Lupo Verde at 14th and T, you should. I live a block away and have gotten to know the folks there, so it's sort of become my spot latey.

Did the tasting menu at Iron Gate last Friday night. Pricey but very good. Think the tasting menu at Corduroy was better, fwiw.

The prix fixe bar dinner at Corduroy is one of our favorite weeknight spots. Such a good deal.

Corduroy is great.

Finally did Red Hen for the first time, for my bday in June. So good - at one point our waiter came to offer dessert menu and we order another entre instead, b/c we wanted to try more dishes.

The wife and I are heading to DC this weekend to see Arcade Fire on Sunday night. We're staying in the Old Town Alexandria area. Concert is at the Verizon center. We're looking for a place to eat dinner before the show. Any recommendations?

Probably looking for something that is (i) not too formal, in case we don't have time to change before the show, and (ii) close to either where we are staying or the Verizon Center.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The wife and I are heading to DC this weekend to see Arcade Fire on Sunday night. Looking for a place to eat dinner before the show. We're staying in the Old Town Alexandria area. Concert is at the Verizon center. We're looking for a place to eat dinner before the show. Any recommendations?

Probably looking for something that is (i) not too formal, in case we don't have time to change before the show, and (ii) close to either where we are staying or the Verizon Center.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about Old Town, so I'll leave that to someone else. But there are a ton of places near Verizon. A few that are good and very close:

Zatinya (Greek)
Oyamel (fancy mexican)
Graffiado (Italian)
City Tap House (decent bar food)
Ping Pong Dim Sum (dumplings)
Jaleo (tapas)
Hill Country (BBQ)

If you wanna go super casual there's a ShakeShack just like 2 blocks away from the Verizon Center. You could try and get in at Matchbox for pizzas beforehand, but might have a big wait. Hill Country BBQ is pretty solid for Texas-style Q. Graffiato is behind the Verizon Center and features Italian small plates from a Top Chef finalist (and is pretty casual). Daikaya is next door to that and features a ramen shop on the first floor and Japanese small plates upstairs. China Town Express is a total dive grungy hole in the wall but I love their fresh noodles.

I don't know anything about Old Town, so I'll leave that to someone else. But there are a ton of places near Verizon. A few that are good and very close:

Zatinya (Greek)
Oyamel (fancy mexican)
Graffiado (Italian)
City Tap House (decent bar food)
Ping Pong Dim Sum (dumplings)
Jaleo (tapas)
Hill Country (BBQ)

one thing to keep in mind is it is Restaurant Week, so a lot of of those places are probably participating and might not have availability.

The wife and I are heading to DC this weekend to see Arcade Fire on Sunday night. We're staying in the Old Town Alexandria area. Concert is at the Verizon center. We're looking for a place to eat dinner before the show. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I would check out Vaso's on King Street in Old Town. Delicious food and not super formal. Good date spot.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vasos-mediterranean-bistro-alexandria

I live in Old Town and have some local spots I like a lot, but I would just go ahead and get into DC. Will be less stressful and a ton of good casual-ish spots around there. Any of the spots wfudkn mentioned would work well for your purposes.

Also live in Old Town and work a couple blocks from Verizon center.

In Old Town I'd recommend the Majestic, Rustico (especially if you enjoy craft beer), or head to Del Ray for Evening Star. Or if you want ribs Jackson 20 apparently has some of the best anywhere.

There are a million places in Penn Quarter/Chinatown. Graffiato is a hot spot, the others Barca mentioned are solid minus the Tap House, whenever I've been there it's been awful. I'd add the Partisan, another new/hot spot, Rasika (one of the best ever if you like Indian), and Proof. All are awesome.

Also live in Old Town and work a couple blocks from Verizon center.

In Old Town I'd recommend the Majestic, Rustico (especially if you enjoy craft beer), or head to Del Ray for Evening Star. Or if you want ribs Jackson 20 apparently has some of the best anywhere.

There are a million places in Penn Quarter/Chinatown. Graffiato is a hot spot, the others Barca mentioned are solid minus the Tap House, whenever I've been there it's been awful. I'd add the Partisan, another new/hot spot, Rasika (one of the best ever if you like Indian), and Proof. All are awesome.

Any thoughts on Vermilion?

Back