• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Oh man, just got lasagna from Basil Thyme food truck for the first time. It's delicious.

1/2 Butternut squash, goat cheese and sage
1/2 Pork and spinach with vodka sauce

Last edited:
I'm always partial to Nando's Peri Peri as well for Portuguese style grilled chicken

Big fan too. That was going to be my default. I actually ran into a former student there several years ago.

Oh man, just got lasagna from Basil Thyme food truck for the first time. It's delicious.

1/2 Butternut squash, goat cheese and sage
1/2 Pork and spinach with vodka sauce

All their stuff is soooo good.

The ramen was good. I was in and out before the lines even started. Thanks again.

Was going to Obelisk tonight for an anniversary dinner but the girlfriend got sick so we are postponing a week. Never been, what do people think?

All the places mentioned in this thread and our "working dinner" was at McCormick & Schmick's. Fail.

DC Deacs, I have a meeting in DC at the National Press Club. The hotel options are:

Donovan House, a Kimpton® Hotel
1155 14th St NW - tel: (202) 737-1200

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown
815 14th Street NW · (202) 783-7800

W Washington DC
515 15th Street NW · (202) 661-2400

Courtyard Washington Convention Center
900 F Street, NW · (202) 638-4600

Residence Inn Washington, DC Downtown
1199 Vermont Avenue, NW · (202) 898-1100

Where should I stay, and what should I eat for dinner?

the W. their rooftop bar POV has the best view in the city. 2nd choice would be Donovan House.

being at the W would put you close to all the Penn Quarter restaurants like Rasika (one of the best Indian places in the country) and all the Jose Andres places; Graffiato by Mike Isabella, and more.

Donovan House you're within easy walking distance of 14th St's new restaurants and bars, like Birch and Barley/Churchkey, which has one of the best beer selections in the country. Other good 14th St. spots are Doi Moi (azn small plates), Estadio (Spanish tapas, same owners as Doi Moi), Ghibellina (pizza), many more I'm forgetting

Staying at Donovan House.

Churchkey is a given for the first night when I'm not tied down with the team.

if you want whiskey, you're not too too far from Jack Rose which claims to have the best whiskey selection in the w. hemisphere.

We went to Churchkey on Friday night and I swear the air conditioning wasn't on, it was brutal in there. We bolted immediately after a beer.

Keep walking north and you hit Le Diplomate and a little farther is Kapnos.

So many great options around there. Everything Barca mentioned is great. If you can get in, the basement bar at Jack Rose (Dram and Grain) is excellent.

As an aside, dropped by Rose's Luxury after the Nats game last night. The Cacio E Pepe pasta they're doing right now is so freaking good. Pasta, salt, pepper, cheese, butter. That's it, and it's ridiculous anyway. And the fried chicken is back. They're still just killing it.

finally gonna hit it up on Monday after waiting forever. I thought it'd be a thing I'd have to do solo, as my wife can be a picky eater at times, even though we'll go places like Komi and Rogue 24 and she'll eat and enjoy most of the menu. she had friends going last Saturday and was invited, looked at the menu and didn't think anything looked good to her. I told her to go in with an open mind. it's the #1 best new restaurant in the country, it's gonna be good. so she did and had a fucking blast and was raving about how we need to get back there ASAP. one thing I'm gonna have to get for myself is the off-menu brisket sandwich, since one thing she definitely doesn't eat is beef.

one thing everyone harps on is the wonderful service, and it really comes through in the Bon Appetit article is the level of service. interestingly, we went to the new Pop's SeaBar in Adams Morgan on Monday, and it was uncrowded and there looked to be managers/owners there, but the service was terrible. she couldn't help but contrast the two.

Back