• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Going back to the original title of this thread, I've been hitting up Jackpot in Chinatown pretty frequently for happy hour. I guess they cut Rocket Bar in half and made one half of it a bit more casual. Usually 3-4 new beers to try and the HH goes until 8pm, which is great for people like me who have office hours until 6. $2 off all beers and $5 rail drinks.

Never been to Jackpot, but I hate going to Rocket Bar these days. I went quite a bit when it first opened but now it's just not my scene (probs because I'm an #old). Frankly there aren't many places in Chinatown that I like for drinks. I meet a group of friends out about once a week in the chinatown/mount vernon area and it's always a struggle to find a place that someone in the group doesn't hate for some reason or another.

Never been to Jackpot, but I hate going to Rocket Bar these days. I went quite a bit when it first opened but now it's just not my scene (probs because I'm an #old). Frankly there aren't many places in Chinatown that I like for drinks. I meet a group of friends out about once a week in the chinatown/mount vernon area and it's always a struggle to find a place that someone in the group doesn't hate for some reason or another.

I went to Flight over the weekend and was really impressed by the decor/quiet vibe, but man was the wine bad. I wasn't expected world-class for a 3-wine $18 flight, but out of the 12 wines our group had, maybe 2 were actually good and several were downright terrible.

I went to Flight over the weekend and was really impressed by the decor/quiet vibe, but man was the wine bad. I wasn't expected world-class for a 3-wine $18 flight, but out of the 12 wines our group had, maybe 2 were actually good and several were downright terrible.

I like Flight ok. My wife likes it a lot more than I do. But I agree that none of the 3 glass flights are very good. But they de have some very good wines that aren't on any of the flights. I've never had any food there, but I've heard people say that they like it.

Asian Spice in chinatown is nothing special. But they do have a pretty damn reasonable HH / bar menu. Like $5 sushi rolls I believe, $4 beers. Somewhat hard to beat these days in that area of the city.

And if the dude bartender with the tats is in there and he thinks you are new, he will hook it pretty good.

Asian Spice in chinatown is nothing special. But they do have a pretty damn reasonable HH / bar menu. Like $5 sushi rolls I believe, $4 beers. Somewhat hard to beat these days in that area of the city.

And if the dude bartender with the tats is in there and he thinks you are new, he will hook it pretty good.

I've never been inside there, but I've had delivery from there a number of times. It's decent white person asian food.

Best wings in DC, go. (Non- Boundary Stone category)

I'm still searching. Damn that's a tough question with not a lot of good answers.

Best wings in DC, go. (Non- Boundary Stone category)

RIP Duffys :-(

This is going to sound weird as shit, but the Korean place at 1400 I St (McPherson Sq Metro) just got new ownership in the last year and they have really good twice-fried korean hot-wings. Super crispy and delicious.

RIP Duffys :-(

This is going to sound weird as shit, but the Korean place at 1400 I St (McPherson Sq Metro) just got new ownership in the last year and they have really good twice-fried korean hot-wings. Super crispy and delicious.

I'll go with Kochix on Florida Ave.

Mandu has good, cheap happy hour wings.

I keep hearing this, but I haven't tried it. It's about, oh, a 15 second walk from my house. Do I need to forget the awfulness that this building was before Kochix?

Thanks for the responses. I'll be in DC this weekend with a wing nut (though I think he basically just orders wings at every restaurant that has them on the menu regardless of how good they are). Wanted to try a new spot with him.

Last edited:
Kochix doesn't have seating or anything, you just order at the counter. I would grab a shitload of Kochix (wings and drumsticks) and a case of beer and eat at home for a pregame.

Also, they don't have it on the menu but you can order hot honey spicy. I prefer it to regular honey spicy.

I keep hearing this, but I haven't tried it. It's about, oh, a 15 second walk from my house. Do I need to forget the awfulness that this building was before Kochix?

You live that close and haven't tried it?!? For shame.

I like it better than Bonchon although I am admittedly a puss when it comes to spicy wings and the ones at Kochix don't even compare to Bonchon in terms of heat level.

Back