• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

You live that close and haven't tried it?!? For shame.

I like it better than Bonchon although I am admittedly a puss when it comes to spicy wings and the ones at Kochix don't even compare to Bonchon in terms of heat level.

aight, i'll go this weekend. maybe wash it down with a chilito from meat and foods.

Yo Lady, hung out in your hood last night. Brookland's Finest for drinks and dinner, and Steel Plate for drinks later. Really liked the vibe at both places. The food at BF was great and the drinks at SP were terrific. The bartendress introduced me to a game-changer for cocktails: Vermouth del Professore.

Yo Lady, hung out in your hood last night. Brookland's Finest for drinks and dinner, and Steel Plate for drinks later. Really liked the vibe at both places. The food at BF was great and the drinks at SP were terrific. The bartendress introduced me to a game-changer for cocktails: Vermouth del Professore.

Awesome. Glad you liked. So many places to hit up these days (Smith Public Trust, Brookland Pint, and Busboys as well...plus of course Menomale). What did you have at BF for food?

Awesome. Glad you liked. So many places to hit up these days (Smith Public Trust, Brookland Pint, and Busboys as well...plus of course Menomale). What did you have at BF for food?

We tried quite a few things at BF. We shared some mac n cheese (which was super), pretzel bites (which were awesome - and I don't like soft pretzels) and spiced nuts (ok), and the various entrees were the pit beef sandwich, pork chop, salmon 'n grits and the catfish. Everything was great. I think next time we will check out the Pint and SPT (my friends and I have all been to Menomale a number of times).

Hit up Impala yesterday on H street. Not sure how long it's been there but they opened up the outside deck for us. They have an amazzzzing side patio looking out onto H and then it pushes back into a raised deck they share with the gallery next door, with a stage for live music in the summer. I felt kind of bad that we went out there as a bunch of people looked in from H, saw how nice it looked and filled up that patio within 15 minutes at like 4pm, the most understaffed time of the day for restaurants.

Food was really good, had some tacos and rice and beans. Drinks were really weak though.

I haven't been to Impala since they opened in that spot, but I always liked the tacos when they served them out of the window down the street. The patio on the side is pretty sweet though. It's part of the Gallery O, so I'm not sure how it'll work when the gallery wants to have an event outside. Will they just close the patio?

Tried the new Bastille this weekend in Old Town. Pretty nice space, if a little new/sterile - but it was packed and the food was excellent. I really like their menu, seems a little more creative than the old Bastille but nothing's over $30 for entrees. Big window looking in on the kitchen from the dining room. Lost Dog, Sugar Shack, Bastille, and Mason Social on the way - they're finally filling some of the retail in the new buildings around Braddock.

we have friends who recently moved to Silver Spring and we did a SS bar crawl on Saturday night. Hit up Denizens brewpub (had been there before in the summer when they first opened), Sidebar (from the owners of Jackie's -- very similar to their other place Bar Charley), Quarry House (awesome dive bar with a great rockabilly band playing and a great whiskey selection -- we'll have to go back and spend an evening there), and finally Piratz of "Bar Rescue" fame (which wasn't that bad -- we split 2 64 oz skulls of grog).

Went to Rasika (on D St NW) for the first time on Saturday. Words cannot describe the awesomeness!

Awesome blog timdunk! I've got a gift certificate to Rose's Luxury, but I have no idea how to spend it without waiting in line for 2+ hours. Show up at 5pm on a rainy Tuesday and hope for the best?

Awesome blog timdunk! I've got a gift certificate to Rose's Luxury, but I have no idea how to spend it without waiting in line for 2+ hours. Show up at 5pm on a rainy Tuesday and hope for the best?

I go probably once every two months and typically just go early in the week around 830. Typically have a max of a 30 minute wait and often am able to get seated right away, either downstairs or at the bar upstairs.

Yeah, rolling into the bar with 2-4 people and chilling for a few minutes late on weeknights is pretty easy. As long as you have a place to stand and a spot to put a plate, the bartenders are incredibly good at making food happen and keeping track of you even if it's crowded.

But really, if you have a GC and haven't been - I'd just show up early, get your name on the list, hang at a bar for a while and make a night of it. It's worth it.

Finally tried Kochix last night and those are some pretty good wings. Tried each variety, and the ones that were supposed to be hot really weren't really spicy at all.

Just made a res to try Fiola Mare in a couple of weeks. I just wish it wasn't in G'town.

Anyone been to Denson? Looking for a new Chinatown HH option.

Tried to meet up with some folks there last friday and they were so crowded that they weren't letting anyone else in the door. I don't know anyone who has ever been so I'd be curious as well.

Back