• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I got super drunked up in Chinatown last night. That is all.

Kushi and Mandu are nearby and both pretty good, Kushi is excellent. but it might be harder to get a table there since it's usually pretty crowded plus they just had a Groupon.

Did you hear the story about Kushi?

Apparently they have kind of a neophyte owner who thought that a tacit agreement for paying local taxes was ok.

Tax man walked in there one night and shut the place down in the middle of a packed dinner service. Demanded every dollar from every till in the place.

They closed and faced a massive tax debt, so they reopened with a much smaller menu and sold a massive amount of groupons to raise a bunch of money fast.

Anyway, it's still good - not as good as it was originally though. Maybe eventually they'll get back to the original concept.

Apparently they have kind of a neophyte owner who thought that a tacit agreement for paying local taxes was ok.

Tax man walked in there one night and shut the place down in the middle of a packed dinner service. Demanded every dollar from every till in the place.

They closed and faced a massive tax debt, so they reopened with a much smaller menu and sold a massive amount of groupons to raise a bunch of money fast.

Anyway, it's still good - not as good as it was originally though. Maybe eventually they'll get back to the original concept.

Wow, I hadn't heard about this. Went last weekend and it was fantastic, especially the pork belly and duck plates. One of the people in my group did have a Groupon.

For those of you who live in Chinatown, you might recognize that red building on Mass Ave that's been under construction recently. Well, here's what they're doing.

http://www.mvtriangleblog.com/?p=3842

It's going to be called Sixth Engine, and will hopefully open later this month. Beer list looks solid. The pictures from upstairs are impressive. Can't wait to go to this place.

yeah I read about that and only had the chance to go after they reopened. I did buy their latest Groupon, so we'll see how it all goes.

Ha, yeah, I heard that about Kushi too. Craziness. And I too have a Groupon! Love that pork belly.

Heading to Rasika tomorrow for LadyDeacToy's bday! Sweet! I've been a few times, but he never has.

Anyone done the tasting menus there? We're trying to decide between that and just a la carte. As long as I have the palak chaat I will be happy.

Columbia Room is the fucking best.

Going to Graffiato tonight with the GF's fam. Things to avoid? Things to definitely recommend and/or try?

love the bone marrow, countryman and jersey shore pizzas, crispy goat with polenta, spaghetti with tomatoes. the best thing they had was the corn agnolotti when they opened in summer, it's a butternut squash one now, which is fine, but not nearly as awesome as the corn.

Palak Chaat at Rasika is perhaps the best thing I've ever eaten. I've had it at least 4 times now and it is seriously like crack. So good.

Also went to Ping Pong Dim Sum for the first time last night. Good stuff.

Also went to Ping Pong Dim Sum for the first time last night. Good stuff.

I was there last night too. If you came and or went between 8 and 930, then you saw us. We were the couple in the front window.

Not chinatown, but has anyone been to Cashion's Eat Place in Adams Morgan? If so, any recommendations?

Saw last night there's a Mellow Mushroom in Adams Morgan....apparently opened over the summer

Saw last night there's a Mellow Mushroom in Adams Morgan....apparently opened over the summer

Yeah. DF09Toy and I grabbed lunch there last fall on a hungover Sunday morning. It was pretty good... decent selection of beers on tap.

Also, Graffiato last night was suberb. Thanks for all the recs, I made sure we got the countryman and jersey shore pizzas... Waitress also picked out some complimentary stuff. It was all great.

Back