• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Off subject, but Corduroy FTW! Has been one of my DC favorites for the last 5-6 years at least.

I think, although can't 100% confirm, that they still do a $30 3-course dinner if you eat at the upstairs bar.

Tom Power is the best.

This is a good call. Almost every restaurant in the Chinatown area is horribly overrated.

but Penn Quarter does have some of the best places in the city: Fiola, Proof, Rasika, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Oyamel.

Some of these places blur the line between the two areas, but there are some great places nearby. Also, probably more in Chinatown, but PS7's and Graffiato also have acclaim.

Off subject, but Corduroy FTW! Has been one of my DC favorites for the last 5-6 years at least.

I think, although can't 100% confirm, that they still do a $30 3-course dinner if you eat at the upstairs bar.

Tom Power is the best.

They did when I was last there in November. Will be daydreaming about their lobster carpaccio today :heart:

Ella's over at 9th and F also has a good HH from 4-7pm with $3.50 sangria and $5 pizzas (which are usually $11-13).

Pi Pizzeria also has a good beer list and good deep dish pizza. It gets crowded before Caps games though (like most places near the Verizon Center.)

Chinatown hate? Odd. Solid places in/near Chinatown:

Graffiatos
Meatballs
Matchbox
PS7's
Corduroy
Kushi
Full Kee
Zaytinya
Proof
Cedar
Capital Q

Plus Penn Quarter is like another 3 blocks and has many of the top restaurants anywhere in DC.

The Chinatown area is only "overrated" if you go to all the chains that surround any downtown/stadium area.

Yeah, food was quite good and service couldn't have been better for me.

Haven't been in a while, though.

My one time there was underwhelming. My meal was just decent and the waiter was too friendly. I don't need you to pretend that you're my best friend.

I definitely need to give it another chance.

but Penn Quarter does have some of the best places in the city: Fiola, Proof, Rasika, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Oyamel.

I went there for Valentines Day last year and they had a really high dollar pre-set menu so I take that experience with a grain of salt, but I just was not a big fan. Will have to check out the other places you have mentioned though as it sounds like you know your DC cuisine.

I went there for Valentines Day last year and they had a really high dollar pre-set menu so I take that experience with a grain of salt, but I just was not a big fan. Will have to check out the other places you have mentioned though as it sounds like you know your DC cuisine.

Agreed on Oyamel.

Also if anyone is considering America Eats (in the space that was previously Cafe Atlantico) I do not recommend it. Extremely overpriced and some of the preparations are humorously ridiculous. They actually dissect a chicken pot pie table side.

I'm a huge fan of Oyamel. The menu is pretty big and diverse, so I do think it really depends on what you get. I have a number of things that I get that I know that will be amazing, so every time I go I know I will enjoy it.

big Cordoroy fan. is taht really chinatown, though? id consider it more convention center (considering it is across the street). supposedly the owner/chef is opening a divey-type place next door that will be wine-bar/gastropub type place per our waiter. tasting menu with wine pairings were like 115 or something which is really good.

huge ps7 fan as well. good cocktails and bar food for pregame.

Tom Power is the best.

thats true

Agreed on Oyamel.

Also if anyone is considering America Eats (in the space that was previously Cafe Atlantico) I do not recommend it. Extremely overpriced and some of the preparations are humorously ridiculous. They actually dissect a chicken pot pie table side.

I actually quite enjoyed America Eats. It was a tad overpriced, but the dishes we got were great.

I'm a huge fan of Oyamel. The menu is pretty big and diverse, so I do think it really depends on what you get. I have a number of things that I get that I know that will be amazing, so every time I go I know I will enjoy it.

Agreed. Getting a preset menu at Oyamel is definitely going to end up in fail every time.

We went one week during Restaurant week and were seated at the ceviche bar (#awesome). The chefs were talking us up and letting us know what a rip-off the restaurant week menu was.

In this case I would absolutely recommend Chinatown Express if you're really looking for good cheap eats. If you don't mind dropping $12-17 on a pizza + 5/6$ bearz (nice beers, though) then PI would be perfect. They have thing crust pizza, too... if deep dish isn't your thing (it's not mine).

I dream about Smuttnyose Finestkind IPA on tap at PI all day, everyday.

I went to Graffiato once (big Top Chef fan) and thought it was super mediocre and really overpriced. I keep hearing good things but I'm not going back any time soon.

I went to Graffiato once (big Top Chef fan) and thought it was super mediocre and really overpriced. I keep hearing good things but I'm not going back any time soon.

Just depends on what you get I guess. I've been twice and both times have been incredible. Just don't bother ordering the pizza except for the one with the egg on top, the others aren't really worth it compared to other things on the menu.

Graffiato is getting rave reviews, just not really for its pizza.

All the small plates and non-pizza stuff I've had there has been awesome. The pizza is fine, but there are much better options out around.

Just depends on what you get I guess. I've been twice and both times have been incredible. Just don't bother ordering the pizza except for the one with the egg on top, the others aren't really worth it compared to other things on the menu.

That fucking pizza with the egg on top is one of the best things I can ever remember eating.

Back