• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

So I'm going to the Columbia Room on Wednesday and I'm just wondering if the amount of food served constitutes dinner or if it really just a snack while you are boozing. Just curious if we need to plan on getting other food out as well.

Just a snack for sure. A small side plate with the second drink. Definitely plan on eating.

So I'm going to the Columbia Room on Wednesday and I'm just wondering if the amount of food served constitutes dinner or if it really just a snack while you are boozing. Just curious if we need to plan on getting other food out as well.

When we went it was just a small dessert.

could always eat at The Passenger. they've got some tasty grub.

speaking of bars, I'm excited Standard has reopened for the year. we loved that place last year. my roommates went on Thursday night when it was so nice out, but don't think they'll be getting too much business tonight!

speaking of bars, I'm excited Standard has reopened for the year. we loved that place last year. my roommates went on Thursday night when it was so nice out, but don't think they'll be getting too much business tonight!

I love it when the doughnut guy is there with his fresh doughnuts. So tasty.

The guy who makes the hot dogs for The Passenger is Nate Anda of Red Apron butchery - actually went to business school with his wife. They're finally opening a restaurant/market type place that sounds like it'll be really awesome. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-penn-quarter/2012/02/06/gIQAzTC6wQ_blog.html

For now Red Apron still just sells out of the Dupont farmer's market and I think one other, plus they supply a few restaurants like Church Key/B&B and Vermillion. His stuff is awesome and definitely worth checking out. Probably the best pastrami I've ever had.

I love it when the doughnut guy is there with his fresh doughnuts. So tasty.

I read an interview with their owner and apparently they need to find a new doughnut guy since there's went back to school. also, they want to put some more interesting cuts of meat on their menu this year, like bbq beef cheeks and lamb and such. plus the team is opening an Italian place elsewhere on 14th.

Can someone please summarize the top 5-7 restaurants in this neighborhood for me?

My sister and her boyfriend are coming in from out of town and want to get a reservation for this Friday (early evening). Thanks.

Can someone please summarize the top 5-7 restaurants in this neighborhood for me?

My sister and her boyfriend are coming in from out of town and want to get a reservation for this Friday (early evening). Thanks.

The Source is great but expensive.

in that case -- PS7, Graffiato, Zaytinya, Rasika, Kushi, Passenger, Matchbox

There is likely to be a lot of disagreement on the top 5-7 restaurants in the Chinatown area, but I'll throw out my favorites in no particular order:

Brasserie Beck: Belgian food; great Belgian beer list; good wine list; very, very good food.

Acadiana: High-end New Orleans food (as someone who lived in NOLA, it does a VERY good job of keeping true to NOLA cusine); It's not hip, but it's nice and the food is really good.

Graffiato: Mike Isabella's Italian spot; very good food (would highly recommend the tasting menu so you get a bit of everything); very trendy and can be very loud and crowded; may be tough to get a reservation at this point.

Zaytinya - Mediteranean small plates; most of the food is very good; a very popular spot.

Source - Some of the best food in DC; if they still have the Chinese tasting menu it is a must (one of the best meals I've ever had); it is very pricey.

Rasika - High-end Indian; I've only been once so I'm not the best authority on it, but I remember it being good; it gets incredible reviews and most people absolutely rave about it. A reservation may be tough to get at this point.

Oyamel - Mexican small plates; there is some disagreement on this one, but I really enjoy it every time I go; the food is different from generic Mexican and some things are incredibly good; they have a great ceviche bar and good drinks.

Ping Pong Dim Sum - Fun spot that serves dumplings, pork buns and other Chinese small plate dim sum; not fancy but I think it's really good; not too expensive.

Againn - a stretch to call it Chinatown, but it's got a great bar and really good food; they pride themselves on their scotch selection, which is very good.

So that's 9 rather than 5-7, and I'm sure I'm missing some crucial places. Some people will likely say PS7 which has gotten a lot of discussion on this thread, and while it's good I think I'd personally prefer any of the above. Some may say Rosa Mexicana for fancy Mexican, but I prefer Oyamel; I just find it more interesting. There are a ton of other restaurants in the neighborhood, but you can't go wrong with any of the above in my experience.

Seems like Ping Pong Dim Sum would be a good choice for this occasion damo. Cool spot, good food and not crazy expensive.

There is likely to be a lot of disagreement on the top 5-7 restaurants in the Chinatown area, but I'll throw out my favorites in no particular order:

Brasserie Beck: Belgian food; great Belgian beer list; good wine list; very, very good food.

Acadiana: High-end New Orleans food (as someone who lived in NOLA, it does a VERY good job of keeping true to NOLA cusine); It's not hip, but it's nice and the food is really good.

Graffiato: Mike Isabella's Italian spot; very good food (would highly recommend the tasting menu so you get a bit of everything); very trendy and can be very loud and crowded; may be tough to get a reservation at this point.

Zaytinya - Mediteranean small plates; most of the food is very good; a very popular spot.

Source - Some of the best food in DC; if they still have the Chinese tasting menu it is a must (one of the best meals I've ever had); it is very pricey.

Rasika - High-end Indian; I've only been once so I'm not the best authority on it, but I remember it being good; it gets incredible reviews and most people absolutely rave about it. A reservation may be tough to get at this point.

Oyamel - Mexican small plates; there is some disagreement on this one, but I really enjoy it every time I go; the food is different from generic Mexican and some things are incredibly good; they have a great ceviche bar and good drinks.

Ping Pong Dim Sum - Fun spot that serves dumplings, pork buns and other Chinese small plate dim sum; not fancy but I think it's really good; not too expensive.

Againn - a stretch to call it Chinatown, but it's got a great bar and really good food; they pride themselves on their scotch selection, which is very good.

So that's 9 rather than 5-7, and I'm sure I'm missing some crucial places. Some people will likely say PS7 which has gotten a lot of discussion on this thread, and while it's good I think I'd personally prefer any of the above. Some may say Rosa Mexicana for fancy Mexican, but I prefer Oyamel; I just find it more interesting. There are a ton of other restaurants in the neighborhood, but you can't go wrong with any of the above in my experience.

Rosa Mexicana sucks ventworm nut

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=30

it's good for happy hour, which, for some reason, they only offer in the summer. it's not like it even applies to their outdoor seating area, only the bar. I get that it's more "summery" stuff, but those taquitos are great for like $4.

supposedly Jose Andres' new food truck, Pepe, is awesome. it features a $20 Iberico pork and Serrano ham sandwich which is the most expensive item from any DC food truck.

I didn't realize Pepe was up and running. I'm hoping that it comes to West End soon, but it probably won't since very few do. I'd pay $20 for that sammich.

Back