• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I once had live shrimp served to me at a sushi restaurant in NYC. The tails were cut off and the bodies were jumping around the plate. It was pretty fucked up.

Went to a new spot at 8th and E called Penn Social last night. It's got cornhole, shuffleboard, skeeball, pool, basketball, jumbo jenga, and a lot of other games. Also got a great beer list and decent food. Good times.

Actually just went to Cava on Barracks Row for the first time on Friday night with 5 friends. We loved it (had a great and personable server, which helped).

My advice from the recent visit...the mezze are bigger than what you usually think of as tapas, so you really need 2-3 per person instead of 3-5 like at some tapas places.

Also, don't order all at once! The food comes out super fast, so if you want to take your time and enjoy everything, order 1-2 things, then order a couple more things later, and so on.

We really liked all our food though...especially the pork belly, mini gyros, and spicy lamb sliders.

That place is great. There's a Turkish meze place in Adams Morgan, too, with similar dishes plus a little more exotic stuff.

For those who have mentioned liking goat, I'd recommend venturing to Huascaran in the Arlandria area of Alexandria. They have a great Andean menu. It's a hole in the wall and not fancy, but the goat is unbelievable.

Hmm I love goat so will have to check it out. The goat and accoutrements at Komi is probably one of the top 5 dishes I've ever had.

Rosa Mexicana is extremely tight butthole, it's across the street from the Verizon Center, and they make the delicious guac right in front of you. Pretty good margs too.

Rosa Mexicana is extremely tight butthole, it's across the street from the Verizon Center, and they make the delicious guac right in front of you. Pretty good margs too.

Just don't order anything else. Anything but the guac and drinks are terribly overpriced.

Just don't order anything else. Anything but the guac and drinks are terribly overpriced.

For sure. More than once, I've gone and had nothing but margs and guac. So it might not be the best meal recommendation, but for something chill it's pretty solid.

I like their happy hour but the guacamole is way overpriced. I make some pretty decent guac and it's for sure cheaper.

So as not to clog up other threads with DC talk, I thought I'd put this here, since this seems to be the de facto DC talk thread. It's a list of the 25 douchiest bars in DC. Link here.

Here's the list, and since I have been to some, I've added my commentary.

1. McFadden's - AKA Titty McBibbities. There is some serious hot young ass there. I'm way too old for this place now, and yes, the douche-factor is quite high IMO.
2. Rumors
3. Smith Point - Haven't been in since the Bush Twins were in town, but it would have been king of the douches at that time. Guess it isn't much better now.
4. Lucky Bar - They have soccer on, so maybe I haven't noticed the douchiness, or maybe i've been one of the douches.
5. Grand Central
6. Town Hall - at the old location, this was the fucking worst. It's a lot better at the newer location. Much less douchy.
7. Mad Hatter
8. George
9. Recessions - Only been once or twice, but don't recall it being that terrible.
10. Public Bar - Went once and will never go back. Nothing but a bunch of turds.
11. The Town Tavern
12. Rocket Bar - Hate this fucking place. Unfortunately I will be there tonight.
13. Ibiza
14. The Greene Turtle
15. Club Heaven & Hell
16. Rhino Bar & Pumphouse - haven't been in years, but it's in the terrible part of G'town, so it doesn't surprise me that it's on the list.
17. My Brother's Place
18. Sign of the Whale
19. Tommy Joe's
20. Cafe Citron
21. TruOrleans
22. The Front Page - It's fucking hill staffer paradise. Avoid avoid avoid.
23. Red Room
24. Shenanigan's Irish Pub
25. Old Dominion Brewhouse

just spent 15 minutes talking about this with coworkers. Hilarious.

they should just call it the awful, unoriginal dc bars. a lot aren't really douchey, they just suck.

That's probably more accurate. But I would definitely consider Town Hall, Smith Point and Titty McBibbities douchey.

What's wrong with Rocket Bar? It has always been my go to bar to bar for pounding drinks before heading into verizon center. It is way less douchey than Iron Horse or Redline.

yeah. i think its the best of the verizon bars other than rfd.

I don't necessarily consider Rocket to be douchey, I just hate it. Everytime I go in there, there are shady dudes trolling around. The last two times I've been there with my wife, dudes have hit on her directly in front of me, including a couple of weeks ago after the Roger Waters show, when two different dudes were hitting on her in front of me at the same time. It's just gross in there. And they don't serve food. My pre-Verizon Center spot is Bar Louie, which isn't great, but I like it better than Rocket and they have food.

yeah. i think its the best of the verizon bars other than rfd.

My prob with RFD is that they have weird rules with respect to their service. I haven't been in a few years, so maybe it's better, but they used to refuse to split checks, and they wouldn't let people stand anywhere, either at the tiny bar or next to a table, which I found to be very strange for a bar.

probs going to BS tonight. defs not on this list.

Defs not. T-minus one week until I live a few short blocks away.

wooooooooooooot

we'll have to meet up at BS for a beer when you do (and feel settled enough).

Back