• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

yesterday was the first day. they were at the portrait gallery. i'm hoping they make their way to franklin or farragut soon, but the lines will likely be a bear (especially the first trip).

a friend of mine also had a food truck kick off recently. cirque cuisine is the name. the truck is circus themed, but it doesnt really tie to the food (which is weird, and i told her she needs cotton candy machine). the food is really good, and it's organic and healthy. the menu rotates different regionally inspred fare, and she does mexican, asian, and middle eastern really well. it's probably the best quality of food i've had in a truck so far, and if youre lucky i will have helped with the prep. the chef moved back to the area recently after working at a bunch of silly restaurants in denver and san fran. check it out, so she'll make bank and hopefully open a restaurant in our neighborhood (bloomingdale).

I woulda been all over it yesterday at the Portrait Gallery because I used to work right there, defs hoping for Eastern Market on weekends or Farragut during the week.

supposedly Jose Andres' new food truck, Pepe, is awesome. it features a $20 Iberico pork and Serrano ham sandwich which is the most expensive item from any DC food truck.

I just had the pork sausage sandwich and the hazelnut icecream sandwich. Both were really good, but not worth the money they are charging.

Columbia Room tonight. Looking forward to it.

How was it?

Secondly, my wife and I and another couple have reservations at PS7's in a couple of weeks. I want to grab drinks after dinner. Columbia Room is already booked. Any other thoughts near the area? Thanks in advance.

In case anyone was wondering, my sister made reservations at Ping Pong Dim Sum, missed the reservation and ended up eating at some place with a sushi boat.

How was it?

Secondly, my wife and I and another couple have reservations at PS7's in a couple of weeks. I want to grab drinks after dinner. Columbia Room is already booked. Any other thoughts near the area? Thanks in advance.

In case anyone was wondering, my sister made reservations at Ping Pong Dim Sum, missed the reservation and ended up eating at some place with a sushi boat.

I like the bar at PS7's more than anything else around there.

Though I forgot Gina left.

Last edited:
How was it?

Columbia room was fantastic. We had one of the later reservations of the night, so there was no one waiting on us to leave, which was perfect. We spent a number of hours in there with the bartenders making us some crazy stuff. I went out the next day and bought some new liquors to make the drinks at home. My two favorite cocktails are manhattans and negronis, so she made me a drink with bourbon, campari and dry vermouth, which sounds weird but was amazing. It's also awesome with sweet vermouth. I definitely recommend checking it out some time. But definitely eat something beforehand or order some food while you are in there. And be warned, if you order drinks beyond the three drink tasting as we did (my buddy and I each had 4 additional drinks and our girls had 3 each) it gets wicked expensive.

And I love Ping Pong Dim Sum. There are some really tasty bites on their menu. And it's cheap.

Ok, I need some help here from the DC veterans, who has the best burger/shake combo: Shake Shack or Good Stuff Eatery?

Ok, I need some help here from the DC veterans, who has the best burger/shake combo: Shake Shack or Good Stuff Eatery?
Walked right by Shake Shack on my way to 18th Street Lounge last night but missed the opportunity to try Shake Shack for the first time. And Good Stuff Eatery is moving into Crystal City soon. Pretty stoked.

that site is the Living Social demo space, not where she ended up. Supposedly her place will be on the Hill on Penn Ave near Good Stuff and We the Pizza.

Latest I heard is that she's ending up at the new Hank's coming to the old Ba Bay space.

I haven't had a burger at Shake Shack, but I have tried one of their shakes. And have had burgers and shakes at Good Stuff. They're definitely different. I think I would personally prefer Good Stuff between the two because I like having some different toppings on my burgers and Good Stuff has some more interesting things than Shake Shack. The toasted marshmallow shake there is also pretty good (but very sweet). I don't love Good Stuff's fries when compared to some others around town (had some awesome ones at Brasserie Beck last night), but I think they beat Shake Shack's boring krinkle fries and I also like Good Stuff's dipping sauces.

I've never been, but Burger, Tap, and Shake in Foggy Bottom also has the burger and shake combo (duh).

And, since this is the de facto DC thread for now http://whenindc.tumblr.com/. Lots are dumb, but some are pretty funny.

When someone says they're moving from DC to Arlington
tumblr_lyg1mnqRWT1qg124y.gif

Good Stuff. BTS (mentioned above) is also pretty good. I hear Bobby's shakes are decent too, although I've only had burgers there.

I really like Shake Shack, but I need to try Good Stuff. Heard nothing but goot things. Anyone try Bobby Flay's burger place on K? Kind of a shit location, but it looks pretty good.

Back