• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I don't see any indication on the internet that Komi closed. Surely one of the zombies on rockwell would have woken up to post it, and nothing in eater. Also it got a star in 2018?

They transformed it during the pandemic to a takeout spot called Happy Gyro. Looks like it’s still operating as such.

ooh yeah. I think that indicates they will be back though. lol 7 dollar slices.

1/ went to hiraya last night, filipino place part of a food hall downtown (separated from the main food hall). was pretty interesting; definitely less “authentic” than purple patch or bad saint (felt more inspired by filipino cuisine than anything), but was an awesome experience. the whole staff is family — we were the last ones there so talked to the owner/chef, he gave us a couple of “extra” bottles they had to take home, i gave him some unsolicited ideas on menu pricing. recommend.

2/ for bdale folk, wtf is this ridiculous eyesore that replaced windows cafe on the corner. what a disappointment.

3/ anyone going to the clawson thing next week?

1/ went to hiraya last night, filipino place part of a food hall downtown (separated from the main food hall). was pretty interesting; definitely less “authentic” than purple patch or bad saint (felt more inspired by filipino cuisine than anything), but was an awesome experience. the whole staff is family — we were the last ones there so talked to the owner/chef, he gave us a couple of “extra” bottles they had to take home, i gave him some unsolicited ideas on menu pricing. recommend.

2/ for bdale folk, wtf is this ridiculous eyesore that replaced windows cafe on the corner. what a disappointment.

If you love Filipino, the little grocery in Beltsville is worth a stop if you are ever over there for some reason. We are talking grandmotherly classics in a styrofoam tray though.

I haven't been in, but I think it's just another version of windows. Small grocery that may have a cafe in front. Not totally sure though. It's defs ugly tho.

It's supposed to be a Turkish place of many things: https://www.popville.com/2022/03/turkish-coffee-house-bloomingdale-eleven-zero-seven/

Also I'm moving to Philly at the end of the month, let's get a drink at b stone before I leave but after I recover from covid

Fed Pig won Good Morning America's Ultimate Pitmaster contest. They competed against BBQ joints from all over the country and came out on top. This proves what I have been saying for years, that their bbq is better than anything I found in NC or TX.

I can't agree Fed Pig is better than the best I've had outside DC, but it is outstanding. What is your favorite meat there?

I also like Fat Pete's, their wings are boss.

nah we are kinda trying to get back to NC, but can't seem to line up childcare

I can't agree Fed Pig is better than the best I've had outside DC, but it is outstanding. What is your favorite meat there?

I also like Fat Pete's, their wings are boss.

Oof, I would always get a Jimmy Muscles sandwich or the Texas Ranger, so I guess their pork belly and brisket. Can't say I was ever overly impressed by Fat Pete's. Fat Pete's had decent burnt ends as I recall.

punjab grill rebranded (with new staff) as rania and changed to prix fixe menu (one of the choose your own adventure ones). was really good (can't recall my feelings on punjab grill, but it didnt stand out the one time i went).

re:honeymoon, not a big fried food person :)couch), so haven't been inclined to reveal it's existence to my fiancee who loves that shit. will probably give it a shot for brunch.

Had it again tonight (it’s like four blocks from my house) and damn it’s so good

punjab grill rebranded (with new staff) as rania and changed to prix fixe menu (one of the choose your own adventure ones). was really good (can't recall my feelings on punjab grill, but it didnt stand out the one time i went).

re:honeymoon, not a big fried food person :)couch), so haven't been inclined to reveal it's existence to my fiancee who loves that shit. will probably give it a shot for brunch.

Went to Rania on Sat night and we all thought it was fantastic. Between the five of us we had most everything on the menu and there was only one dish out of the lot that I would say was just good rather than great. We will absolutely be going back there.

Got a room at The Line at the end of the month for our wedding anniversary and reservations at Queen’s English

Will be our first overnight without the kid, gonna hit up some of our favorite bars too, Passenger and The Raven

Then Phish at Merriwether the next night, Sunday show

I don’t always love this town but it has a lot to offer

I forgot to say my favorite DC brewery shut down. RIP 3 Stars (gotta go out and buy all the peppercorn saison I can find!)

I forgot to say my favorite DC brewery shut down. RIP 3 Stars (gotta go out and buy all the peppercorn saison I can find!)

Townie was recently bemoaning the loss of both these great institutions in the CT. RIP RIP

I think he also went to their last day open and bought as much as he could carry, but they didn't have peppercorn saison because it's not the right season (?)

Back