• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I forgot to say my favorite DC brewery shut down. RIP 3 Stars (gotta go out and buy all the peppercorn saison I can find!)

It was definitely the finest DC-only brewery. Other Half and Solace have come to DC and added good beers, and have solid locations and facilities. But 3 Stars was consistently great. Loved the lemon citra saison. Big loss for DC.

I went Sunday night for a couple hours before the last last call. Saw the head brewer chug an imperial stout on the bar. Saw another bar owner buy the bar a round with a stack of hundreds. Saw lots of old staff reuniting and getting ready to party after the place shut down to the public. I managed to snag a few cases of my favs, including some of the older bottle releases. I was a little bummed they were out of merch. I'll miss it.

Townie was recently bemoaning the loss of both these great institutions in the CT. RIP RIP

I think he also went to their last day open and bought as much as he could carry, but they didn't have peppercorn saison because it's not the right season (?)

nah they didn't have lemon citra, which is seasonal. they have loads of peppercorn, which they started distributing wider and canning in 6 packs in teh last couple years.

Got a room at The Line at the end of the month for our wedding anniversary and reservations at Queen’s English

Will be our first overnight without the kid, gonna hit up some of our favorite bars too, Passenger and The Raven

Then Phish at Merriwether the next night, Sunday show

I don’t always love this town but it has a lot to offer

Guy gets a room in Admo, goes to dinner in Petsworth and gets drinks in Shaw, all while Fed Pig and Jack Rose are right there.

i like whiskey but jack rose is a little douchey

:couch:

fed pig is in the regular rotation though. sooo good.

Dinner at Bul, breakfast at the Diner and grab the wife some Narragnaset's at roofer's union. That is how you celebrate a DC anniversary.

But really, you made some good choices, I just used to live on Champlain, so I had plenty of nights in Admo.

i like whiskey but jack rose is a little douchey

:couch:

fed pig is in the regular rotation though. sooo good.

I virtually never go to JR for pretty much that reason. I really only go if I have a hankering for something in particular that I can't get or refuse to pay the outrageous secondary bottle prices for. But it can definitely be a lot to deal with if you are just wanting to go in for a couple of low-key drinks.

I virtually never go to JR for pretty much that reason. I really only go if I have a hankering for something in particular that I can't get or refuse to pay the outrageous secondary bottle prices for. But it can definitely be a lot to deal with if you are just wanting to go in for a couple of low-key drinks.

we used to go to their bar in the basement (don't remember the name) when we were a 5 min walk away. that was p cool.

I lived across the street from Jack Rose/love bourbon and still never really went. Blaguard was more fun.

Since we hardly ever go out, we've been hitting some good spots when we do. Did Xiquet's tasting menu a while back, recently tried Sushi Nakazawa (now that the hotel is no longer a Trump dump). Both were pretty phenomenal. Squab dish at Xiquet was maybe a top 10 dish all-time for me. The care and effort to source the fish at Nakazawa is truly amazing.

And was the JR basement place Dram and Grain?

Since we hardly ever go out, we've been hitting some good spots when we do. Did Xiquet's tasting menu a while back, recently tried Sushi Nakazawa (now that the hotel is no longer a Trump dump). Both were pretty phenomenal. Squab dish at Xiquet was maybe a top 10 dish all-time for me. The care and effort to source the fish at Nakazawa is truly amazing.

Yeah that’s it. I saw the new Eater 38 essential DC restaurants yesterday and there were only like 5 or so I had been to, most opening since we left in 2016.

We're staying at the Waldorf and having dinner at Nakazawa next week for our anniversary and I'm pretty excited. We admittedly did go to Nakazawa a few times when it was still the Trump, and it really is fantastic.

Just saw the guy behind Unsuck DC Metro died. I used to follow that blog and account regularly when I commuted via Metro.

Flavortown is coming to DC with Fieri is opening a spot in the old Green Turtle at the Verizon Center (fuck off Cap One Arena). Say what you will about him (and there is plenty to say), but he's really done a lot to support the restaurant industry and its workers during the pandemic

Heading to DC this week. Doing Friday night at Moon River. Anyone been? Any recs?

Any breweries that are must hits in the area?

Are you staying down near the Wharf/Navy Yard? Blue Jacket and Solace are solid down there. Dacha a nice beer garden. Some solid restaurants down there, though it’s all pretty much upscale/high concept.

Grazie Grazie is super solid as a casual sandwich option down there

Emmy Squared is detroit style pizza down in navy yard

Chloe is great

I recognize basically all my recs are Navy Yard and not the wharf, but easy enough to get over there

Back