• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

went to cranes instead — second time there, food has been fantastic both times. the atmosphere is a bit weird (kinda befitting the location). not crazy expensive either, $95 for the six course plus dessert.

Checked out Elcielo a few days ago and thought it was outstanding. The food was all fantastic with really fun presentations and the service was great. It was unique experience in a number of ways compared to the other fine dining places in town. Defs recommend, though it's certainly pricey.

went last weekend -- they are definitely shooting for memorable-ness more than anywhere else i've been. also the bread lives up to the hype.

Where's the watch party on Saturday? Sadly can't make it to Charlotte, but it'd be nice to cheer on the Deacs at a friendly place.

Sad note for the DC dining scene. The original Phillips Crabhouse (in Ocean City, Maryland) is closed. That may be a bad omen for Phillips Seafood in DC. They are part of the same company. If it's not financially viable to sell Mzryland blue crabs in O.C., what is the world coming to?

Oyster Oyster reservations just opened for this month till June. Snagged me one for this Saturday. Excited!

Oyster Oyster reservations just opened for this month till June. Snagged me one for this Saturday. Excited!

noice thanks for the heads up.

related news, maiz64 on 14th street has been a decent pretty casual spiritual successor to poca madre.

noice thanks for the heads up.

related news, maiz64 on 14th street has been a decent pretty casual spiritual successor to poca madre.

I really liked Maiz64 as well and I keep forgetting about it when thinking about getting reservations somewhere. But I really do miss Poca Madre. That place was definitely one of our go-to spots, especially since it was so close to my then office. Heading back to Michele's tomorrow night for the second time. I remember really liking it the last time but holy hell my wife and I got super crunk so the details are a bit fuzzy.

went to michele's for nye and was pretty disappointed. curious about your review to see if its worth another shot.

oyster oyster was really fantastic. they said IG was the best place to find out when reservations open (not on a typical schedule)

i’m almost always a cocktail guy but went with the wine pairing since they don’t have a full bar and it was really awesome as well

went to michele's for nye and was pretty disappointed. curious about your review to see if its worth another shot.

Our dinner at Michele's was fantastic the other night. And while it's the same owner/executive chef, the day-to-day head chef in the kitchen has changed since either you or I were there, so maybe that was a positive change since he wasn't there very long at all.

Rose's tonight for wife's birthday. First time.

Haven't been to Rose's since it opened. I really should check it out again at some point.

they take reservations now, which is nice.

the space is beautiful, i didn't really know what to expect given the exterior and the reputation.

great cocktails, easy but delicious menu. not batshit expensive. worth the hype imo.

Oyster Oyster got a star, well deserved. Two spots in my hood got Bib Gourmand: Honeymoon Fried Chicken and the ramen spot a few doors down also on Upshur.

have only been to rose's once but was slightly underwhelmed, which led me to this hypothesis that "older" dc restaurants don't live up to the hype they earned before dc food culture boomed. but that also might be way off and i just don't like jose andres. didn't realize they were taking reservations now, gotta go back.

thoughts on albi that also got a star? i'm a #99lbweakling with a tree nut allergy so i usually don't love mediterranean that much

Last edited:
Back