• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cool inexpensive restaurant in Chinatown? I am going to the Caps / Pens game tonight and I am flying solo (meeting some friends at the game) and I want a cool place to go where I don't spend a ton of money.

Thoughts?

keep in mind it's restaurant week, so you might have some trouble getting in.

that said, I love Jaleo and Zaytinya for happy hour because they have some great deals on their small plates. also, check out Graffiato, Mike Isabella's new place. the place is fantastic -- love the bone marrow, the country man pizza, Jersey Shore pizza, and crispy goat with polenta among many others. never had a bad dish there.

for decent Chinese food, your options are slim pickins, but I do really enjoy Chinatown Express. it's a total dump, but their noodles are fantastic (there's usually a guy in the window hand stretching them). the noodle soup is one of my favorite things in the city -- like $6 for a big bowl of noodles, meat of your choice, veggies and broth. also good are the steamed pork dumplings.

Nando's Peri Peri... although my ex-gf choked on a chicken bone there pretty bad and wound up in the ER that night. Yea, that sucked. But my food was good!

keep in mind it's restaurant week, so you might have some trouble getting in.

that said, I love Jaleo and Zaytinya for happy hour because they have some great deals on their small plates. also, check out Graffiato, Mike Isabella's new place. the place is fantastic -- love the bone marrow, the country man pizza, Jersey Shore pizza, and crispy goat with polenta among many others. never had a bad dish there.

for decent Chinese food, your options are slim pickins, but I do really enjoy Chinatown Express. it's a total dump, but their noodles are fantastic (there's usually a guy in the window hand stretching them). the noodle soup is one of my favorite things in the city -- like $6 for a big bowl of noodles, meat of your choice, veggies and broth. also good are the steamed pork dumplings.

That might be the ticket...do they have alcohol? TVs?

The hot shit right now is the Meatball place. It's awesome. Go there.

But real talk, go to Corduroy.

Edit: Damn, didn't read inexpensive. Still keeping the recommendation up for anyone else interested in trying it.

More bar feel or restaurant?

theres a Potbellies Sandwiches there thats pretty good....

#DCchinatownsucks

For something different, you could hit up Ping Pong Dim Sum. They've got some pretty tatsy stuff. Don't know if they have TVs at the bar or not.

Hill Country BBQ is also good. And they do have TVs at the bar.

If you'll be there during HH (which it sounds like you will), I recommend Zengo, right at 7th and H. I had never been there before, and probably wouldn't recommend it for dinner, but their HH is a good deal. $5 drinks (wine, mojitos, margaritas, etc) and $5 apps (long list that includes empenadas, calamari, pork ribs, etc etc). We went Saturday night for the first time and were pretty impressed (esp for the price). HH is from 5-8pm (HH is also on Saturday nights!). Big, nice bar area on the main floor.

Ella's over at 9th and F also has a good HH from 4-7pm with $3.50 sangria and $5 pizzas (which are usually $11-13).

Ur going to the craps game over terps-deacs? come on man.

Ella's over at 9th and F also has a good HH from 4-7pm with $3.50 sangria and $5 pizzas (which are usually $11-13).

This is a good call. Almost every restaurant in the Chinatown area is horribly overrated.

I like Nando's as well. Greene Turtle is good for the TV situation. Food isn't that great. Pretty diverse selection of wings though.

Back