Page 1 of 108 1234561151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2147

Thread: Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

  1. #1

    Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

    Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cool inexpensive restaurant in Chinatown? I am going to the Caps / Pens game tonight and I am flying solo (meeting some friends at the game) and I want a cool place to go where I don't spend a ton of money.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    keep in mind it's restaurant week, so you might have some trouble getting in.

    that said, I love Jaleo and Zaytinya for happy hour because they have some great deals on their small plates. also, check out Graffiato, Mike Isabella's new place. the place is fantastic -- love the bone marrow, the country man pizza, Jersey Shore pizza, and crispy goat with polenta among many others. never had a bad dish there.

    for decent Chinese food, your options are slim pickins, but I do really enjoy Chinatown Express. it's a total dump, but their noodles are fantastic (there's usually a guy in the window hand stretching them). the noodle soup is one of my favorite things in the city -- like $6 for a big bowl of noodles, meat of your choice, veggies and broth. also good are the steamed pork dumplings.

  3. #3
    The Pumpfaker OGBDeacon07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,475
    Nando's Peri Peri... although my ex-gf choked on a chicken bone there pretty bad and wound up in the ER that night. Yea, that sucked. But my food was good!

  4. #4
    yeah I like Nando's too

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    keep in mind it's restaurant week, so you might have some trouble getting in.

    that said, I love Jaleo and Zaytinya for happy hour because they have some great deals on their small plates. also, check out Graffiato, Mike Isabella's new place. the place is fantastic -- love the bone marrow, the country man pizza, Jersey Shore pizza, and crispy goat with polenta among many others. never had a bad dish there.

    for decent Chinese food, your options are slim pickins, but I do really enjoy Chinatown Express. it's a total dump, but their noodles are fantastic (there's usually a guy in the window hand stretching them). the noodle soup is one of my favorite things in the city -- like $6 for a big bowl of noodles, meat of your choice, veggies and broth. also good are the steamed pork dumplings.
    That might be the ticket...do they have alcohol? TVs?

  6. #6
    #ClawsIn #ManUp
    AnonymousDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,975
    I hear there's a Chipotle there.

  7. #7
    The hot shit right now is the Meatball place. It's awesome. Go there.

  8. #8
    #ClawsIn #ManUp
    AnonymousDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,975
    But real talk, go to Corduroy.

    Edit: Damn, didn't read inexpensive. Still keeping the recommendation up for anyone else interested in trying it.

  9. #9
    More bar feel or restaurant?

  10. #10
    theres a Potbellies Sandwiches there thats pretty good....


    #DCchinatownsucks

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinsNDeacs View Post
    That might be the ticket...do they have alcohol? TVs?
    I'm not sure, I always sip on the tea they give you when you sit down. I think there's like 1 or 2 tvs there, but it's a total hole in the wall dive.

  12. #12
    cookout = blabbermouth?
    wfudkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    truxton circle
    Posts
    16,780
    For something different, you could hit up Ping Pong Dim Sum. They've got some pretty tatsy stuff. Don't know if they have TVs at the bar or not.

  13. #13
    cookout = blabbermouth?
    wfudkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    truxton circle
    Posts
    16,780
    Hill Country BBQ is also good. And they do have TVs at the bar.

  14. #14
    If you'll be there during HH (which it sounds like you will), I recommend Zengo, right at 7th and H. I had never been there before, and probably wouldn't recommend it for dinner, but their HH is a good deal. $5 drinks (wine, mojitos, margaritas, etc) and $5 apps (long list that includes empenadas, calamari, pork ribs, etc etc). We went Saturday night for the first time and were pretty impressed (esp for the price). HH is from 5-8pm (HH is also on Saturday nights!). Big, nice bar area on the main floor.

  15. #15
    Ella's over at 9th and F also has a good HH from 4-7pm with $3.50 sangria and $5 pizzas (which are usually $11-13).

  16. #16
    Ur going to the craps game over terps-deacs? come on man.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    But real talk, go to Corduroy.

    Edit: Damn, didn't read inexpensive. Still keeping the recommendation up for anyone else interested in trying it.
    You been there yet? It's amazing.

  18. #18
    The Pumpfaker OGBDeacon07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by rjequalsmj View Post
    Ur going to the craps game over terps-deacs? come on man.
    I second that. WTH, bro?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDeac03 View Post
    Ella's over at 9th and F also has a good HH from 4-7pm with $3.50 sangria and $5 pizzas (which are usually $11-13).
    This is a good call. Almost every restaurant in the Chinatown area is horribly overrated.

  20. #20
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,504
    I like Nando's as well. Greene Turtle is good for the TV situation. Food isn't that great. Pretty diverse selection of wings though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •