• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I love Del Mar but I'm a sucker for Spanish food. Seafood paella so good. Been wanting to try Nara Ya but haven't made it yet, if you're just craving oysters Hank's is always solid.

Checked out Causa and Bar Amazonia about 10 days ago and man is that place great. The drinks and atmosphere at Bar Amazonia were fantastic (the food up there also looked good) and the food downstairs at Causa was incredible. They are two totally different vibes, but y'all need to check them out stat.

looks like dabney is (deservedly) increasing their prices

"Beginning September 13th The Dabney will be serving a 6-course set menu at $170 per person, highlighting the bounty of the Mid-Atlantic region and our wood-burning hearth."

Checked out Bar Spero on Tuesday night and I think it could be a really good spot. It's super new and there were some kinks, but the food itself was excellent. I definitely recommend checking it out, and while we didn't sit at the bar, I think that might be the best way to do it there. I'd never eaten at his spot Reverie since it's in G'town and I don't fuck with that, but I know people like it.

Hey DC folks; looking for some help in dining recommendations.

Looking at one of these for a 'nice' dinner....any recs?
-Little Pearl
-Kinship
-Rose's
-Rooster & Owl

Also, cheap eats and coffee/cafes around the Mayflower (walking distance).

If you've never been to Rose's, I would start there.

Around the Mayflower:
Duke's Grocery
Sunrise Cafe
The Coffee Bar

Downtown is dead post-covid, but at least you are walking distance to Dupont and Logan areas.

Agree with Fishbelt on both sets of recs. Dabney would be a good option for nice as well.

Put me down for Kinship over Rose's (but Rose's is great). And if you are going all the way up to Rooster & Owl then I would look at Seven Reasons as an alternative. Rooster & Owl is good and all, but I think that SR is far better and more interesting. And along the SR line of thinking, Imperfecto in West End (opposite side of town) is by the same chef and is excellent.

And for reals my DC folks, Causa (with drinks before at Amazonia upstairs). So damn good. Leftcoast, if you can get in there then I would definitely go for that, but it's not a super easy res to get right now.

Oyster Oyster should be an option too, leftcoast

Rooster and Owl won the wine program award at the local restaurant industry awards recently, their list is absolutely killer, especially for unique and interesting stuff.

Hey DC folks; looking for some help in dining recommendations.

Looking at one of these for a 'nice' dinner....any recs?
-Little Pearl
-Kinship
-Rose's
-Rooster & Owl

Also, cheap eats and coffee/cafes around the Mayflower (walking distance).

Rose’s is awesome but pretty casual. Kinship is as good or better and I think a little more on the “nice” side.

smh i had two ubers cancel on me bc biden is eating at red hen and bloomingdale is shut down by the cops, thanks a lot obama.

on the way to takara 14 which apparently is run by sushi nakazawa staffers but different vibe and a lot cheaper.

Staying a couple days at the Wharf this weekend and then Old Town during the week. Any recs that are family friendly in those areas?
Moon Rabbit at the Wharf is good. The rest of the Wharf is overpriced/touristy IMO (cough cough Del Mar). I don't know if Jessie Taylor's Seafood at the Old Municipal Fish Market has cooked to-go options, but that's where I get my seafood.

Are you willing to uber/metro? Any visitor to DC should get Ethiopian. I like Chercher and Elfegne (although I haven't been to Elfegene since it moved a few years ago).

Mi Vida is a reliably safe bet for family friendly options

The Wharf generally is overpriced and touristy for what’s there, though, agreed with Fishbelt

Time for my annual plug for Casey Trees and their flowering tree map. Tulip, Saucer, and Yulan Magnolias going crazy right now. Might still be able to find some plum and Okame cherries.

My wife is very active with Casey Trees, such an awesome organization. They’re up in my neck of the woods next weekend at Old Soldiers Home.

Back