• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

We went to Sushi Ogawa on Friday night and it was amazing. Maybe it's because I haven't sat at a sushi counter in at least 2 years, but it was so much fun. They asked what was our favorites and then brought out seconds. I'm a sucker for soft-shell crab and it might have been the best I've ever had. After saying we liked the beef waygu and scallop, they put the 2 together on a roll and added some truffle oil. 11/10, would recommend.

We went to Sushi Ogawa on Friday night and it was amazing. Maybe it's because I haven't sat at a sushi counter in at least 2 years, but it was so much fun. They asked what was our favorites and then brought out seconds. I'm a sucker for soft-shell crab and it might have been the best I've ever had. After saying we liked the beef waygu and scallop, they put the 2 together on a roll and added some truffle oil. 11/10, would recommend.

Went there a couple years ago and didn't have a great experience. But that doesn't match with the vast majority of reviews, so that could have been an off night. Or maybe I'm just a nit-picky bitch. Equal possibilities.

my fav sushi counter experience has been nakazawa in spite of the location

eta: looks like i just talked about this on the last page. this thread is cyclical.

if anyone wants a couple real recommendations out towards shenandoah, check out either 1/ glen gordon manor (kinda like inn at little washington) or 2/ three blacksmiths, the latter of which is probably my best dining experience ever.

Last edited:
Hit up Imperfecto as well last week but just for the regular menu. I'd put it in the very good but not quite great category, looking at the chef's table rundown I definitely think that looks like the way to go, was fairly pricey either way.

Reservations for Jont in August were released a few hours ago. Still reservations for two available on plenty of days. Friday or Saturday nights have already been filled.

Thanks for the tip, got Jont reservations for my birthday. Will be one of our first legit post-Covid nights out, going big.

Went to Oyster Oyster last night for our anniversary. It was excellent, reminded us of Blue Hill in that it was veg heavy, packed with seasonal, farm or foraged ingredients mixed with lots of tasty pickled and preserved stuff, awesome wine list. Recommend!

Went to Oyster Oyster last night for our anniversary. It was excellent, reminded us of Blue Hill in that it was veg heavy, packed with seasonal, farm or foraged ingredients mixed with lots of tasty pickled and preserved stuff, awesome wine list. Recommend!

I've been wanting to try OO for a while now. I need to make that a priority.

Checked out Elcielo a few days ago and thought it was outstanding. The food was all fantastic with really fun presentations and the service was great. It was unique experience in a number of ways compared to the other fine dining places in town. Defs recommend, though it's certainly pricey.

def want to do that.

went to metier for the first time and was disappointed (although i was kinda expecting to be).

also did the ogawa counter — was very different than the other high-end spots. felt more of an authentic vibe, esp since we were the only people there for much of the time. (definitely did not feel like they were putting on a show at all). and i really did think the food was good (and it was a lot)

my fav sushi counter experience has been nakazawa in spite of the location

eta: looks like i just talked about this on the last page. this thread is cyclical.

if anyone wants a couple real recommendations out towards shenandoah, check out either 1/ glen gordon manor (kinda like inn at little washington) or 2/ three blacksmiths, the latter of which is probably my best dining experience ever.

Weeps for Mellisse

The owners (also the chef) of 3B just sold the place. Some good friends of mine are regulars there and they are devastated.

yeah bummer, the old owners were awesome. have reservations for january, we'll see how it goes.

one of the new owners was executive chef at Osteria Bibiana Enoteca, The Occidental and Marra Forni, none of which i've been to.

getting achilles surgery next week so will be outta commission for a while, so tryna do something nice this weekend.

anyone reviews on masseria if the chefs counter is unavailable? (assume the chef counter is the much better experience which might be false). kinda slim pickings given last minute.

getting achilles surgery next week so will be outta commission for a while, so tryna do something nice this weekend.

anyone reviews on masseria if the chefs counter is unavailable? (assume the chef counter is the much better experience which might be false). kinda slim pickings given last minute.

It's been quite a few years, but I enjoyed it. I think we did wine pairings and got pretty housed on them. The patio for the weather this weekend should be amazing.

Last edited:
Jont was absolutely incredible by the way. Just one lights-out dish after another, everything flawless. Pretty amazing watching how they orchestrate such a complex menu in an open kitchen like that. Also got some free bubbly thanks to a few members of the Michelin team being in attendance along with a few quick speeches and stories about opening such an ambitious restaurant during Covid. Fun stuff.

Finally checked it out last night and absolutely loved it. Thought the food and service were both great. And just a really fun, easy and unique experience. We're defs going back.

So today is the last day ever for the Wendy's at Dave Thomas Circle. I remember when they sold crack out of the drive thru years ago. And while I'm looking for a traffic pattern that makes a lot more sense than the shit-show that's there now, the traffic that the construction is going to create is going to be a nightmare.

didn’t report back on masseria but it was okay, but kinda forgettable honestly.

made a mistake not getting to oyster oyster because apparently they did something right and are now consistently booked weeks and weeks in advance.

prob gonna try imperfectio a la carte tonight.

I was a little disappointed in Imperfecto's a la carte menu to be honest. Just seemed like it was on a much lower level than their tasting menu stuff. Hopefully it's better now.

Back