• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Michelin Bib Gourmands out today:

https://s26552.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/D.C.-Bib-Gourmands.pdf

6 new ones

Elle is deserving, I love that place. Really need to make it to Queen's English.

But I'm extremely surprised at Hitching Post. I've gotten takeout from there a couple times during the pandemic and it's been fine. I guess I need to try the fried chicken.

New stars awarded Thursday.

Jônt (Two Star)

This anticipated opening by Chef Ryan Ratino of Bresca is a showstopper with impeccable technique and pristine ingredients.

Cranes (One Star)

Spanish kaiseki is a unique concept for Washington, D.C. Chef Pepe Moncayo’s menu is delightful and “unbound by geography.”

Elcielo D.C. (One Star)

With locations in Medallín and Bogotá, this star-worthy tasting menu arrives to Washington D.C. courtesy of Chef Juan Manuel Barrientos. The level of showmanship and flair is admirable.

Rooster & Owl (One Star)

Chef/owner Yuan Tang runs this delightful new venture in partnership with his wife Carey Tang. The menu is contemporary with global influences from Asia to Europe and everywhere in between.

Xiquet (One Star)

Chef Danny Lledo crafts an outstanding paella, but that is only a small part of the menu that focuses on a contemporary take of the Valencia region of Spain. The kitchen cooks with confidence, touches of elegance, subtlety and, of course, flavor.

went to bresca for the first time for easter brunch and loved their cocktails but wasn't blown away by the food. will have to try again.

have been trying to go to xiquet since they opened, sounds really interesting

Really like Bresca and have been excited to try Jont since it was announced a while back but pandemic has gotten in the way. Glad to see Cranes make the list. Their omakase during the pandemic has been great. Only made it in there once before the pandemic and it was really good and interesting and different.

personal biggest bummer is poca madre shutting down and doesn't look like the owner is re-opening it or anything similar any time soon

Poca Madre was the shit. I'm going to miss that place so hard. Their taco omakase was one of my favorite things. And yeah, their cocktails were awesome.

So we've been doing that Summer Long Supper Club thing and while the first delivery from Sushi Taro was a complete disaster, the deliveries from Albi and Cane were both awesome. I've always liked Sushi Taro (particularly the baller back room omakase), but the fish either started out bad or it just didn't travel well and was gross by the time we got it, and I definitely got sick and was having some stomach issues for the next few days. That could have been coincidental, but still not a good experience. That said, Albi and Cane definitely made up for it and I'm excited for Centrolina next week.

Got my five year wedding anniversary coming up this summer--if you could eat one meal in DC, what would it be?

I guess it depends on what you like and how fancy/$$$$ you want to go. I think that P&P or Minibar are the most fun experiences in terms of unique dishes. Gravitas is also a great choice for interesting and really good food (and we know the chef there really well and get the mega hookup every time). But I don't think either P&P or Minibar are open (who knows if they will be by your anniversary), but Gravitas is already. Barmini is open and you can certainly get enough food there to constitute a meal, and the drinks are always fun. If you like sushi and can get past the Trump factor, Sushi Nakazawa is absolutely incredible. But I'm guessing you won't be able to get past the Trump thing, so you can probably move along.

anniversary is 7/31, hoping most places that are gonna return will do so by mid-summer

don't think we'll do inn at little washington any time soon now that we've got a baby

have been to Tail Up Goat, Bresca, Dabney, Kinship, Little Pearl, and Rose's on the Michelin list

gravitas looks like a great suggestion, and i know you have brought it up several times dkn, so it's gotta be good

Poca Madre was the shit. I'm going to miss that place so hard. Their taco omakase was one of my favorite things. And yeah, their cocktails were awesome.

So sad that Poca Madre closed.

During COVID times we've absolutely loved Tres by the same folks (Taco Bamba crew). Some of the best food we've had all year has been from the Tres menus. Plus they travel well - a lot of the takeout we've done from nicer places loses too much in the transfer.

And as a Rose's devotee, Pineapple and Pearl would my go-to meal in DC.

+1 on the nakazawa sushi counter. technically you go in through the back, not through the hotel if that makes it better.

also if a reco for an alternative to inn at little wash is https://glengordonmanor.com/ slightly more casual but kinda in a good way (ended up staying up late drinking from their bar for free w/ the owners kids last time)

We did our August anniversary this past summer at Gravitas' "patio" seating, which was basically the garage-type opening/indoor space. I think we both enjoyed it (it was also first time eating "indoors" during the pandemic), the food was great, but I'm not sure it was worth the money (Texa$).

Can't go wrong with Red Hen (assuming they open by then). Masseria is another awesome Italian place with an amazing patio setup. Tiger Fork is delicious with great drinks. Along the same lines we've enjoyed take out from Queen's English, so I imagine in-person is only better.

If you've never been to minibar and truly want to splurge, I think it is a unique and valuable experience.

I forgot to say I think Rasika and St. Anselm's are two places where you can't go wrong.

Back