• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

While I was at work today, my roommate bought $500 more of garden stuff. Trellises, a ton of wood, chicken wire, and a whole mess of crops. So pumped. He also dug two new planters much bigger than the one we already had. So now we've got a 4X15 and two 6x21 plots. So awesome. Also, the big Yakima hop plant we have has grown 11 inches in 5 days.

Ended up with 1.5" of rain the past two days. It was sorely needed. 3 of my 4 Cabernet vines have started growing, and all of the hops are now coming up. Looking good so far.

So I started this thread and then never updated...sorry.

Today we planted. We decided to only go with 3 4x4 boxes...wanted to take it easy first year.

The box closest has 4 tomato plants on the corners...2 Heirlooms, One German Johnson and one Roma. We also planted cilantro, mint and two basil plants in-between.

Next box has a bell pepper and chocolate pepper along with a cucumber plant

Last box has two cucumber and two zuchinni on a trellis.
574847_3538631877218_1615025207_2618224_754727839_n.jpg

Finally all of my hops plants are growing and the cabernets have come out of dormancy. I'm currently training them to the trellis, but a few are already starting to produce clusters. As tempting as it is to leave them alone and enjoy some grapes this year, they'll be cut off this weekend.

Radishes got pwned by the dill. Dill is like...the lamest plant ever. No idea why we planted it, but it took over the small corner plot real quick.

I know the ground isnt warm enough for my pepper plants to germinate yet, but the anticipation is killing me. I cant wait for some fresh cayennes, jalapenos, and habaneros.

well, i wish i had some pics to post...maybe i will try soon. we have all 5 garden boxes (random sizes - 2 (4x8), 1 (4x16), 2 (approx 6x6)) and all of them are planted and some are already producing. in fact we grew a ton of our tomatoes from seeds from our plants last season and are currently selling the overflow...so far everything is doing well!

most important thing is to set up an automatic watering system!

Voles have eaten 5 heads of a lettuce. Straight out of a cartoon. Nothing left but a one inch glory hole heading straight into the ground. Bastards. Have blossoms on the seedling tomatoes and peppers, and on the seed grown cucumbers and cantelope.

Anybody have any good uses for a shitload of parsley? We have way more than we could ever use, and we season meats 5 or so nights a week.

Planted sweet potato slips and staked tomatoes yesterday. Hopefully we get some rain Friday because I got very little last night.

I'm late to this thread. We have a 5X10 box. We already ate the lettuce crop. We planted cukes, tomatoes (3 heirloom, 3 hybrid), squash, zucchini, carrots, and peas. Apparently some seeds from last year survived the composting process because we have HUGE vines coming up as volunteers. They are now producing fruit that to me looks like some kind of decorative gourd (maybe from Halloween?). My wife is more optimistic and thinks it will be a watermelon. We'll see. The challenge is going to be stopping the mystery gourd, squash and zucchini vines from taking over the rest of the box. I don't particularly like zucchini so it will be the first to meet the trimmers if it encroaches on my tomatoes.

I don't particularly like zucchini so it will be the first to meet the trimmers if it encroaches on my tomatoes.

I'm just the opposite, I love some zucchini, but don't like squash as much. My green beans are growing like wildfire. Still waiting on my peppers to come up. Good news, all my fruit trees have fruit on them. In the past they've always been too young to bear, so I'm looking forward to some peaches, granny smith and red delicious apples and some Bartlett pears later on this summer.

The only way I like zucchini is grilled (i.e., as a delivery vehicle for oil, seasoning, and smoke). Zucchini bread is OK. I don't care for it in salads or any other raw application. cucumber is far superior raw.

We grill most of ours, do some zucchini bread, but we make some killer zucchini stick fries. They're utterly amazing. We made a zucchini parmesan which I wasnt too thrilled with.

Back