• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

We grill most of ours, do some zucchini bread, but we make some killer zucchini stick fries. They're utterly amazing. We made a zucchini parmesan which I wasnt too thrilled with.

care to share the recipe?

Last edited:
care to share the recipe?

The way she made them, we just cut them into small french fry sized pieces. We've baked them plain with just a little olive oil, but we've also battered them and fried them. The key is cutting them small enough to crisp up all the way through. Cutting them too large, they'll get mushy in the middle.

i spent over 4 hours on saturday doing all sorts of yard work. now i am covered practically head to toe in poison ivy (and when i say "head" i actually mean it. i have poison ivy on my face). i had used lotion that was supposed to protect against poison ivy, but either it just gave me a false sense of security, or it was completely worthless. i am COVERED.

my cousin's wedding is this weekend, and i really, really, really don't want to be in a cocktail dress with my arms and legs looking like this. is there ANY way to make it go away faster? i know how to make it itch less, but it's not the itching i'm worried about. i need it to not look so terrible. any of you gardeners able to help at all?

calagel.jpg

This stuff works wonders. I used to get poison oak/ivy all the time when I was an archeologist, and lived by this stuff religiously. I think I picked it up at either Walmart or Walgreens. I was at a Wal something.

so that actually makes it go away faster? it doesn't just treat the itching?

Both. It stops the itching and dries it up. Usually within like 3 days mine had cleared up. Your only problem will be areas that havent reacted to the oil yet, which may keep popping up in the coming days.

yeah, i'm worried about that. yesterday there were a few spots, and i was already panicking, but it didn't look THAT bad. then overnight a TON more came up. ugh. all of my hiking/camping experience, and i NEVER had trouble with poison ivy. but then my life chills out and i buy a house...and now i can't escape the poison ivy. go figure.

thanks for the help!

i spent over 4 hours on saturday doing all sorts of yard work. now i am covered practically head to toe in poison ivy (and when i say "head" i actually mean it. i have poison ivy on my face). i had used lotion that was supposed to protect against poison ivy, but either it just gave me a false sense of security, or it was completely worthless. i am COVERED.

my cousin's wedding is this weekend, and i really, really, really don't want to be in a cocktail dress with my arms and legs looking like this. is there ANY way to make it go away faster? i know how to make it itch less, but it's not the itching i'm worried about. i need it to not look so terrible. any of you gardeners able to help at all?

Poison ivy is the worst! I somehow never got it growing up, but then, like you, once we bought a house and started doing yard work...bam! I got it really bad on my elbow and knee last year right before a wedding too. Unfortunately I put off going to the doctor and just tried over the counter stuff and nothing helped much.

My advice is to go to a doctor and get a prescription. I just went to one of CVS' minute clinics and it was quick, easy, and relatively cheap. They gave me a topical lotion, but I think the thing that really kicked it were the low dose oral steroids. Huge difference in a day or two.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338939499.129878.jpg

This is what you need. Besides steroids this is your best option. Also you can put this on before you work and it acts as a buffer. Finally, if you think you came in contact with poison ivy use this when you shower and it will prevent a breakout.

View attachment 391

This is what you need. Besides steroids this is your best option. Also you can put this on before you work and it acts as a buffer. Finally, if you think you came in contact with poison ivy use this when you shower and it will prevent a breakout.

the spray version of this is actually what i ended up with (the store didn't have the stuff that tsy recommended). honestly, it's been pretty worthless on the itching aspect. it may be helping on the drying out (i think it's still too early to tell. things look about the same today as they did yesterday). but the itching was so much worse today than yesterday. i'm about to take an antihistamine to help. unfortunately, the antihistamine isn't an option during the workday as it totally knocks me out and makes my mind all fuzzy.

I got it a lot as a teen, but it never bothers me anymore.

the spray version of this is actually what i ended up with (the store didn't have the stuff that tsy recommended). honestly, it's been pretty worthless on the itching aspect. it may be helping on the drying out (i think it's still too early to tell. things look about the same today as they did yesterday). but the itching was so much worse today than yesterday. i'm about to take an antihistamine to help. unfortunately, the antihistamine isn't an option during the workday as it totally knocks me out and makes my mind all fuzzy.

The spray is no good. You need to get the stuff for the shower. It is the real deal. You have to rub it on areas with the rash for like 2 minutes and then rinse. It takes a while if you are covered pretty well but it will dry it up very quickly and help with the itch.

why is the spray no good? i thought it was the same stuff, different (more convenient for me) packaging.

Speaking of rashes, do y'all get any reaction from squash and zucchini plants? Our plants/leaves are starting to get big, so I was moving them around a bit today without gloves on (didn't plan to go out and garden, but just happened to get in there for a short bit) and I came away with itchy hands. The rash seemed to dissipate within maybe 20 min or so, but was very annoying at the time. A quick Google search indicated that this contact dermatitis isn't unusual. Which other plants may cause it?

So many plants can cause this to happen, as it's a natural defense mechanism for them.

sunflowers/chrysanthemum
carrot/celery/dill/parsley/parsnip
artichoke/asparagus

these types can be the worst, but it's not as bad as poison ivy

Again...I am new to this and I am sure this is a ridiculously dumb question but...

My garden center told me that planting spices between my tomato plants is a good use of ground because basil, mint and cilantro don't need that much sunlight. Well, my spices have already exploded. The basil is producing dollar bill sized leaves and the mint is really spreading. Should I prune these back...if so how?

Back