• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

Yea prune them by cutting or tearing close to the stalk/stem, and make sure they aren't shading out your other plants. Use the pruned stuff or compost it.

why is the spray no good? i thought it was the same stuff, different (more convenient for me) packaging.

I can't say for sure but I know the process of application is different and for one reason or another it works night and day better.

Had my first zucchini from the garden last night, yummy! The first couple that ripened seemed to stay squishy at one end and never fully developed. I've tried to be more consistent with watering but I can only water in the evening and I know that's not good. Hopefully things keep growing well even with my crappy watering.

View attachment 391

This is what you need. Besides steroids this is your best option. Also you can put this on before you work and it acts as a buffer. Finally, if you think you came in contact with poison ivy use this when you shower and it will prevent a breakout.

so i went to the store and got this stuff tonight. i used it as directed. but even the product itself doesn't actually claim to help it go away faster once you've already got the rash. it claims to get rid of the oils from the poison ivy itself (it's been 4 days and maybe 5-6 showers since i came into contact with it, so i'm sure the oils are gone now). then it lists the other products by the same company that help with the healing, one of which is the spray stuff that i already had. so i don't know that it helped at all, but i used it anyway, just in case. the rash still looks AWFUL, so i'm starting to get really worried about saturday :(

Hoops, I'm sitting here next to my wife who is a family doc and I set the scene for her. She said your only hope of no spots showing whatsoever at this point is prednisone. She said that getting it into your system this far removed from your contact isn't an issue. Right now, you're not fighting oils, you are fighting your own immune response. You can ask for a shot if you want, but an oral dose will do just as well.

Like she said, no guarantees, but this is, in her opinion, your only hope for a Saturday miracle.

I agree with WED's wife. I just had my first case of poison ivy. It was horrible and just kept erupting. After four weeks it finally went away. I tried several OTC creams and one prescription. I wish I had gone to the doctor ASAP. A shot of prednisone would have made this so much shorter. Go see a doc tomorrow, Hoops.

dammit, that's what i was afraid of :(. i was trying so hard to avoid having to go to the doctor. but i guess i'll head over there tomorrow. thanks for the help.

Hoops, if you have the rash on your face, you absolutely must go to the doc. The rash can cause a bad eye infection and restrict your breathing as well. Prednisone can interrupt that reaction. Good luck !! The doctor can help you.

After you get back from the wedding, buy a goat to eat all the poison ivy. Then milk the goat, and drink it. You'll be protected from getting it again. Or so my grandmother used to always swear.

Tha sucks hoops. As bad as you said you have it, I figured you'd go that route. I've only had to take steroids for it once, and man that was a rough case.

the last time i did truly extensive yard work (which was nearly two years ago), i got a case that was just as bad as this one. i went to the doctor after just 1 day where i could just not even remotely function at work because the itching was so bad. they gave me a shot, steroids (pill form), AND antihistamines. and it still took nearly 2 weeks to really go away. that's why i was hoping to avoid it this time. just seemed like an awful lot of money for not a lot of benefit.

the last time i did truly extensive yard work (which was nearly two years ago), i got a case that was just as bad as this one. i went to the doctor after just 1 day where i could just not even remotely function at work because the itching was so bad. they gave me a shot, steroids (pill form), AND antihistamines. and it still took nearly 2 weeks to really go away. that's why i was hoping to avoid it this time. just seemed like an awful lot of money for not a lot of benefit.

Man, deachoops, your yard must really be something. I'm picturing a poison ivy jungle.

Hoops, if you have the rash on your face, you absolutely must go to the doc. The rash can cause a bad eye infection and restrict your breathing as well. Prednisone can interrupt that reaction. Good luck !! The doctor can help you.

Missed two weeks of elementary school when I got poison ivy on my face and my eyes swelled shut. That was rough.

Yeah, and now that I realize it's Thursday already I think it goes without saying that you'll be rocking some spots at the wedding this weekend. Accentuate with a makeup pen and roll with a Native American face paint look.

Man, deachoops, your yard must really be something. I'm picturing a poison ivy jungle.

the thing is, i don't even know where the poison ivy is! i kept an eye out for it this time, AND i used lotion that was supposed to prevent it. in hindsight, i obviously should have worn long pants and long sleeves, but it was HOT last saturday, and i thought the lotion would do the trick. but i have really searched for WHERE this poison ivy is, and i truly can't find it. and that's not because i don't know what poison ivy looks like. i really just don't know how there's SO much that my entire body is covered in it, yet i can't see it.

Yeah, and now that I realize it's Thursday already I think it goes without saying that you'll be rocking some spots at the wedding this weekend. Accentuate with a makeup pen and roll with a Native American face paint look.

the face actually looks fine. regular makeup is doing the trick there. it's very clear based on the blisters where the poison ivy actually came into contact with my skin, and where the oils just kind of got spread out. the places where it just got spread aren't nearly as bad. the face is one of those places. i must have just touched my face at some point without realizing it. it's my legs that i'm really worried about.

finally went to urgent care over lunch. first of all, that place is quite possibly the least efficient place i have ever been (granted, i have never been in an ER). but beyond that, they gave me a shot in the ass (should make sitting down for the rest of the day fun) and 15 days worth of steroids to take. i doubt the pills will really do much before saturday, but hopefully the shot does. thanks for all of the advice through this.

btw, whoever is responsible for the "small balls" tag...out yourself. that one got a good laugh out of me. pos rep.

Squash(yellow, zuchini and spagetti) are doing great. But I think the damn tomato blight is back. No more watering the tomatoes, I'll let the rain handle them.

So my peppers never came up. Oh well, I'll get a few plants and then start some from seed in my mini greenhouse and plant them in a few weeks. Green beans and corn are doing great.

garden is doing great! we are already eating our tomatoes, peppers (various types) and herbs but our cucumbers, squash and eggplant have flowers but not growing anything...interesting. our okra also seems to be a little slow this year also. regardless, i think i will be knee deep in veggies in a few weeks!

has anyone plotted out their tomatoes for seasons so that you have them throughout the season? i didn't do a early girl this season so we are eating our cherry tomatoes and big boys but the rest are taking a lot longer. only my 3rd season, so i am still learning.

For those with lettuce, you may already know this (or have discovered it yourself), but the earlier you pull a leaf, the better it will taste. The bigger it gets, the more bitter it will be. We have an abundance of lettuce, so we just chopped it back. It grows so incredibly quickly.

Back