• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

My tomatoes aren't doing jack squat. I put nets over them which has dissuaded the squirrels but I think it is just too hot for them to bloom. I read that they won't fruit when it's over 90 in the day and over 72 at night (or some such numbers). Makes me mad, fresh tomatoes are about the only reason I have a garden at all, all that other stuff is just to make my wife happy.

My tomatoes aren't doing jack squat. I put nets over them which has dissuaded the squirrels but I think it is just too hot for them to bloom. I read that they won't fruit when it's over 90 in the day and over 72 at night (or some such numbers). Makes me mad, fresh tomatoes are about the only reason I have a garden at all, all that other stuff is just to make my wife happy.

Too much nitrogen in the soil?

I guess it's a bad time to brag about my tomatoes, but I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. Picked 11 pints of cherry tomatoes and 5+ pounds of beefsteak and heirlooms today at lunch. The 11 pints weren't even half of the ones that were ready, and it's only 2 big plants. They just make hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cherry tomatoes. Love em. The leaves are starting to wither a bit with the constant heat and no rain, though I give them plenty of water and compost, but the fruit keeps coming.

616361_795643586783_1373542977_o.jpg

Gardening Gurus. A storm just really fucked up all of my potted plants. Some, the root ball completely exited the pot, and others were just blown around. There are quite a few broken stems on my Basil and Catnip plants. What should I do? Surgery? Splints?

tsy, I see you stalking the forums from Tapatalk. Answer me bro namath.

I was driving through that same storm that rocked your place on my way through southern Ohio. We lucked out, just intense wind/rain/lightning, but no hail. The radar looked pretty intense.

About the only thing you can do is repot them, baby them and hope they make it. Sucks, but the more you play around with them, the more problems you open yourself to.

I had the worst garden this year I've ever had, and I've been planting a garden since I was 6 years old. The drought, followed by brutal heat, then the abundance of rain recently has led to smaller yields and what I have been able to harvest has been rotting way too soon. I bush hogged the big garden, and am replanting some corn and peppers when I get back home. Hopefully the late summer crop will turn out better.

I was driving through that same storm that rocked your place on my way through southern Ohio. We lucked out, just intense wind/rain/lightning, but no hail. The radar looked pretty intense.

About the only thing you can do is repot them, baby them and hope they make it. Sucks, but the more you play around with them, the more problems you open yourself to.

I had the worst garden this year I've ever had, and I've been planting a garden since I was 6 years old. The drought, followed by brutal heat, then the abundance of rain recently has led to smaller yields and what I have been able to harvest has been rotting way too soon. I bush hogged the big garden, and am replanting some corn and peppers when I get back home. Hopefully the late summer crop will turn out better.

You should pump water up from the river.

I've done that in the past, and will end up doing it again next summer. I've got some more grading and landscaping to do on the back hill to make access easier.

Random (perhaps dumb) question...should I be pulling off the dead branches / leaves on my tomato plants?

Once they produce fruit, I snip them. Whether or not it helps, I believe it does. No sense in devoting energy to limbs that won't produce.

You want to pinch suckers early. I go up fiveish as a general rule of thumb. This will promote growth higher off the ground which will prevent disease because air is able to better circulate when the density of the plant is off the ground. It will help with blight and ultimately lead to better yield. Also, you should always be cleaning your plant because again that dead material can be a good host for disease.

We have a few open squares from our peas, spinach, and beans that were finished earlier in the summer (it looks like our cucumbers may be on the way out too) and want to plant some stuff for moving into fall. What do people recommend for August/September planting? I feel like I've heard that spinach is good once it cools down a bit and obviously some of the fall/winter squashes are options.

Email I got from someone at our community garden about just that topic:

Hi Everyone,

There's a nice article in the Post about fall plantings that you might be interested in: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...47b7f2-db42-11e1-bd1f-8f2b57de6d94_story.html.

I had some recommendations to think about too, and was hoping you all might have something. Chris is going to post some information in the shed about planting dates too.

There’s still plenty of time for another succession of new seeding and transplants to produce, and there’s some things you can do with the plants in your garden now to keep the season going and make for a balance of newer and older plants into the fall.

New planting. Into the fall as weather gets much cooler, the pollinators slow down and the length of sun during the day drops, which both affect the hot summer favorites. Another thing to keep in mind with some of the vegetables that take 100 or more days to reach maturity is the oncoming frost in a few months. We’ve had a hot summer and had a mild winter last year, and live in a “heat island” here in the city with all of the pavement around us. October should be frost free, and many things can be planted on into September (lettuce, spinach, collards, kale).

It’s probably too late to start another crop of corn, new okra or pepper plants, storage onions, or potatoes, and probably too late to try putting another squash seed, watermelon, or tomato plant in, but if you want to try and see what happens then you may see some production.

When planning for fall, some of the more reliable choices are collard, cabbage, root vegetables like radishes, turnips, and carrots, and of course greens. Here’s a bigger list of things you could plant in August and expect some good food from in the next few months:

Spinach

Swiss chard & Beets

Radishes

Carrots

Collards (transplants)

Cabbage

Green Onion

Lettuce

Kale

Broccoli (transplants)

Bush beans

Oregano

Cilantro

Don’t forget that garlic should be planted in the fall in order to harvest it next year! Keep in mind that you might need room for this around the end of October.

Some things to do with current plants from looking around the garden:

Tomatoes have bushed out and have gone through several “trusses” of tomatoes, leaving behind spent leaves and branches that are turning brown, grey, and yellow. These should be removed from the garden, trashed-not composted, to avoid spread of disease. Removing these will also open up more of the soil surface to sunlight and allow the soil to dry out during the humid summer. Dense plants can cause mold and other fungus to grow, and these diseases will travel from the ground up.

Harvest. If you harvest your tomatoes, okra, squash, and herbs when they are ready, you’ll encourage more growth and more production out of your current plantings. Wastine on the vine decreases the productive lifespan of the plants.

Watch for “bolting” veggies – when plants like lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, and broccoli reach maturity, they will send out flowing stalks that taste bitter. Once your plants have reached this point, they should be removed and replaced with something else.

Control weeds. Every now and then you look up from the raised bed and realize there’s a four foot tall weed that has escaped. Getting these plants removed before they spread their seed is important to the entire garden community. Also, take a look around your box and pull back the weeds that are growing up in the aisles. If each person takes care of their space, this will go a long way. Each time you check on your garden, consider putting a few minutes into this effort. The garden is pursuing wood chips to put in these areas in the near future.

great. thought you might like that. debating which green sto put in where we just pulled some tomato plants.

my garden has been a @#$#@ disaster this year. No tomatoes (squirrels plus heat), no squash or zukes, a few cucumbers, one random pumpkin from a volunteer vine, a few carrots. Need to plant some fall seeds to try and salvage some return for all the work I put in.

Just to annoy me, one of those squirrels wrapped himself up in the wildlife netting and died. Had to take apart half the garden to extract his carcass because he got the netting all tangled up in everything in his death struggles. I am working up a big hatred of squirrels.

We were a wash with Romas...way more than we could ever eat. I decided to try my hand at canning. I did not get near as many cans as I thought I would (probably through away more good stuff than I was supposed to) but my three cans look good.

304952_3961489208387_988163109_n.jpg

Back