• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

yeah, don't waste your time weeding. let the mulch do the job for you, should be thicker in the weedy areas.

btw, damn squirrels are stealing all of my damn tomatoes. i wish my hound dog (past last fall) was still around to kill them, but my netting and other things are not working. might need to find the old BB gun from the basement.

Sounds like my brother's garden, the squirrels are relentless there. He's shot at least one with a pellet gun.

Meanwhile I'm getting endless tomatoes from my plants and the squirrels/deer have somehow not located them. Go figure.

You really do need to cleanup the weeds, preferably including roots. If its been a few years the weeds could be perennials. The won't die by being covered in mulch. Mulch is mostly good for preventing sprouting new plants from getting to sunlight so they die.

put a couple of cucumber and pepper plants in the ground this weekend; we're usually a couple months behind you guys in terms of things bearing their fruits/veggies, so hopefully these do something. garden center was selling them for a dollar b/c they were basically plants (no longer starts), so... yeah. fingers crossed. already looking forward to doing tomatoes next year.

Spring is here officially, even if there is snow on the ground and gardening needs to start, so bumping this up.

I put in early snow peas before the last snow. Let's see how they do. Parsley and basil seed started indoors. Should be ready to plant outside once the weather gets sufficiently warm.

Built 3 raised beds for my first veggie garden experiment. Got the cold weather garden going right now with seeds sprouting indoors to fill in where I expect to fail in direct sowing.

Built 3 raised beds for my first veggie garden experiment. Got the cold weather garden going right now with seeds sprouting indoors to fill in where I expect to fail in direct sowing.

So what do you have going so far?

Got the lettuces, kales, chard, and broccolis transplanted. Seeds in for vining peas, carrots, spinach, plus planted way more onions than I could ever practically consume.

Got the lettuces, kales, chard, and broccolis transplanted. Seeds in for vining peas, carrots, spinach, plus planted way more onions than I could ever practically consume.

Sounds like a good start.
Onions can keep a long time in the refrigerator. Like 9 month long.

Well peas took a long time to get going because of all the cold weather. Now if it gets too warm too fast they won't be happy.

Got the garden tilled and ready for the warm weather stuff to go in.

Tomato cage/ bird screen support built over the long weekend. Tomatoes in the ground. Maybe a little late this year, but the rain really made is hard to do stuff in the garden the last few weeks.

Onions, beets, peas growing nicely.

Peas harvested. All the warm season stuff in and growing nicely.

All the rain has given a nice crop of lettuce so far. Also, sweet onion plants make for some yummy scallions. Thats how they get thinned out.

Time to resurrect this for the 2019 gardening season. Who is doing a backyard garden this year?

Ive got lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, beans, onions, eggplant, cucumbers and squash growing this year.

I finally got my garden in the ground on Saturday. Going very small this year in hope for higher yields with the plants having more space. 6 tomato plants, 3 habanero plants and 3 yellow squash plants. 3 pots filled with basil, celantro and mint.

my garden is in full swing...usually you should get everything in by tax day (4/15) and earlier for spring vegies

10 tomato plants, a number of peppers (poblano, tobacco, red, green, banana, jalapeno, etc.), Chinese eggplant, spaghetti squash, pumpkin, cucumbers, carrots, swiss chard, beets, edamame, okra and potatoes (sweet and purple)

already letting sprout for seeds - broccoli, leeks, red onions, asparagus

herb garden doing great also!

Last edited:
Weather conditions on the weekends and real life killed my garden time this spring. Hoping for a better early summer.

Back