• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

To be clear, zucchini and squash are easy to grow IF you can avoid the stem borer (they plant their eggs in the stem while the plant is young and kill it just as the plant begins to produce...and by the time you realize they are in there, it's too late). And the stink bug is more of a nuisance than anything. but they reproduce massively fast and can take over the garden. my garden is 30 yards or so from the house. would not want those things much closer to be sure they didn't come inside.

i don't know if you all have heard of surround:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7275-surround-wp-og-25-lb-.aspx

but it is an organic kaolin clay that forms a filmy (white color) barrier around your plants. it is an excellent aide for curcubit growth. i am also surprised that no one's real issue is the striped cucumber beetle:
images

those little shits have always been my main problem with cucurbits. surround does an okay job of helping prevent their damage.

So, all this talk of gardening and treated lumber has reminded me of a story. I once met some old buddies for a weekend of debauchery and race watchin at a campsite near Concord NC, about a stones throw from the legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway, where we were licensed to watch those great athletes practice their craft throughout the entire October weekend. Well, right next to us, a shitty red pickup pulled up, with a bed loaded with wood. We made quick friends with these 2 rednecks who came from somewhere near gatlinburg tennessee. So, we get hammered and party with these dudes all weekend. One of them was the only cotton eye I've ever met. Used to be a carny, and had the scars to prove it. Cussed like a sailor, but his companion couldn't stand the cuss words and was real religious. Strange combo, those 2. Anywho, short story long, we burn the wood from their truck all weekend long to keep warm. On the last day, right before we all head into the UAW/GM 500, a couple of NC state troopers appear out of nowhere and demand we put the fire out and say that they are confiscating all the wood from the red pickup truck. We scatter, but it turns out that the fuzz didn't want to arrest anyone. They said we were burning treated lumber and the fumes were extremely poisonous. I don't see how that could be since we sat there all weekend with no noticeable ill effects, but they said it was bad news. I think Jeff Gordon won that one. After the race we made a big fire with the wood they didnt confiscate. Good times.

How important is direction? Due to the shape and slope of this lot, laying my beds out north-south will be difficult. NW-SE will be the easiest. As long as I place the trellis on the northern side to prevent it from shading everything else, will I be ok?

How important is direction? Due to the shape and slope of this lot, laying my beds out north-south will be difficult. NW-SE will be the easiest. As long as I place the trellis on the northern side to prevent it from shading everything else, will I be ok?

I think the main thing is, as you mention, not allowing the trellis to block anything else.

I was able to get my beds in the ground and filled with topsoil this weekend. It wasn't as laborious as I thought, although I was slightly hungover on Saturday morning which made it not very fun.

How many 8x4 or 8x3 beds are people planting for their family?

We do 2, but that is because that is all of the space our back yard allows. It's honestly plenty. Like I said early, we space our plantings out. We have fresh vegetables throughout the year. In early July for about 2 weeks, we often have too much zucchini and squash, but that is fine because we give it away to our neighbors, who don't have gardens.

We're going to have either 2 or 3 families. I'm thinking 4 boxes for now and will add another 1-2 later if needed.

BTTT. Per FB someone started building theirs this weekend.

Ha. Yeah, got the boxes built. Ended up going with treated 4x4 corners and two rows of treated 2x6's for the sides. Did a lot of research on treated wood, including actual garden box tests to see how far whatever chemicals traveled into the soil, and came away convinced that it's not a big deal. I couldn't certify my veggies as "organic", but as I've learned from a couple farmers I know, that's mostly a BS gov't label anyway. The treated was actually cheaper than untreated, and there was no way I'm spending $$ for cedar.

Hell, it took longer to buy the supplies than it actually took to put them together. Next step is to get them "in" the ground after work sometime this week. I made the 4x4's 7-8 inches long so that they can be anchored down into the existing soil a bit. Then, I'll lay down some weed paper, chicken wire to keep the burrowing pests out, and attach some 1 inch PVC to the insides for use in creating a plastic or net dome over the boxes if needed in the future. Hoping to get the soil this coming weekend.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider, use a sod remover or a shovel to cut out the sod inside the boxes. We have bermuda grass that occasionally still works its way through the weed paper in the uncut areas, but the boxes where we removed the grass beforehand have had no problems at all.

One other thing to consider, use a sod remover or a shovel to cut out the sod inside the boxes. We have bermuda grass that occasionally still works its way through the weed paper in the uncut areas, but the boxes where we removed the grass beforehand have had no problems at all.

The boxes are going on a slight hill anyway, so I'll be digging them into the bank a few inches on one end. Had planned to just take all of the sod out when I did that.

well, we continue to expand every season but i think we are done with our 5 boxes (2 in front and 3 in back). i would like 1 more in back but i may spend my time building a chicken coop...new law in Tenn.(Nashville) i can now have up to 6 chickens.

well, we continue to expand every season but i think we are done with our 5 boxes (2 in front and 3 in back). i would like 1 more in back but i may spend my time building a chicken coop...new law in Tenn.(Nashville) i can now have up to 6 chickens.

Yeah, can have 1 per 4 SF of yard space in Charlotte, but the coop must be 25 feet from property lines and my lot is 50 feet wide. Haven't looked into how that works yet. :wtf: Going to investigate once we get this garden rolling.

I don't care much for eggs though, so I'd probably raise them mostly for slaughter if we do it. Sat through an interesting talk last week on Heritage breeds and modern industrialized poultry farming, which got me thinking about raising my own.

Yeah, can have 1 per 4 SF of yard space in Charlotte, but the coop must be 25 feet from property lines and my lot is 50 feet wide. Haven't looked into how that works yet. :wtf: Going to investigate once we get this garden rolling.

I don't care much for eggs though, so I'd probably raise them mostly for slaughter if we do it. Sat through an interesting talk last week on Heritage breeds and modern industrialized poultry farming, which got me thinking about raising my own.

you may need to check the law...i believe i can't raise them for slaughter, only for eggs and can't have a rooster (not that i want one, they are ornery little fucks). i do like eggs though...

you may need to check the law...i believe i can't raise them for slaughter, only for eggs and can't have a rooster (not that i want one, they are ornery little fucks). i do like eggs though...

Ehh, not too worried about the law. I don't suspect the police will be inspecting the chicken I eat. Plus, I'll eat the eggs until I'm ready to eat the bird. :D

Of course, I need to compare the cost vs just buying chickens off my friend who is about to start raising them for in addition to the cattle and veggies he already produces on his family farm.

Last edited:
Completed the boxes and also installed a 16x16 fenced bed for my neighbor's (who owns the lot) college son to plant in this summer. Also planning to use part of the fenced area for larger items like melons and corn that we didn't want to grow in the raised beds.

Beds are filled with a local mixture of top soil, cow manure, mushroom compost, peat moss, and vermiculite.

Went ahead and planted two beds for a late winter harvest of spinach, broccoli, collards, kale, romaine, and snap peas. The other two are ready for early spring planting.

Pictures are kind of small...guess Tapatalk limits the upload size.

42576d52-c70a-775d.jpg

Installing a rain barrel at the neighbor's house for watering.

42576d52-c72e-bd21.jpg

Two-compartment compost bin is ready. Getting the first load started this weekend.

42576d52-c73b-9727.jpg

Should make for a good spot for a fire pit to celebrate the harvest later this spring.

42576d52-c748-fb3e.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. It should be very productive. I love the fire pit.

Back