• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

question for all you experienced gardeners:

i have a set of planters that look kind of like this:
82996809-e2c8-44b4-9010-e2a8baa91c75_300.jpg

they've sat empty for the last two years because i just never got my act together. this year i'm determined to change that. i want to plant SOMETHING. preferably something that actually flowers, rather than something that just stays green all the time. it'd be completely exposed, so it'd have to be something that can handle extreme sun/heat in the middle of the summer (moving the planters is not an option. they weigh a ton. seriously, they will be sold with the house. i cannot move them). and i'm obviously just now getting started, so it'd have to be something that could be planted now.

anybody have any ideas? and if you can give me a recommendation on the plant itself, is there anything else in particular i need to know about potted plants? i honestly have not done anything with potted plants since i moved out of my parent's house, so i have very little experience with/knowledge about the topic.

How big are they? Big enough for a small bush or just flowers? Base on their weight, sounds like they may be pretty big. Something like a blueberry bush might be cool.

i'm not sure exactly how big, but i know i can't wrap my arms all the way around them. so big enough for a small bush, yes (but again, wanting something that flowers).

Blueberry bushes flower...but they are done mid-spring, after which you get lots of good berries to eat.

Some possible suggestions here for things that are good in sun and relatively easy to take care of:
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-shrubs-vines/shrubs/summer-blooming-shrubs/

thanks! i really, REALLY like some of those. i'll go ask around at the store about what type works best in a planter though. the one i looked the most closely at and liked the most is likely too big for a plantar (even though the planters are huge).

Last edited:
Mint really took over the garden at the end of last season, and wouldn't you know, even after turning the soil TWICE, it's already coming up all over. Gotta do some serious work this weekend when we finally transplant the seedlings from indoors.

Carrots grow FAST, btw.

will the planters be outside during the summer and inside for the winter or will they stay outside all year?

will the planters be outside during the summer and inside for the winter or will they stay outside all year?

they'll stay outside all year. but i don't really care if everything in them dies off completely and has to be removed during the winter. (i.e. i don't need perennials).

they'll stay outside all year. but i don't really care if everything in them dies off completely and has to be removed during the winter. (i.e. i don't need perennials).

haha...you have quite a lot to choose from but one of my favorites are Dragon Begonias

004251_Begonia_dragon_wing_red.jpg

Mint really took over the garden at the end of last season, and wouldn't you know, even after turning the soil TWICE, it's already coming up all over. Gotta do some serious work this weekend when we finally transplant the seedlings from indoors.

you could be in trouble, mint will grow like crazy and if you "turned the soil" without removing the mint (i.e. tilled it up) it will be everywhere! always plant mint in containers because the spread like crazy and even a small piece of their vine will grow. it is highly invasive, runners will go everywhere, and you may need to figure out a way to kill it...not sure of the best way.

i would figure it out before you plant anything in the box...it will crowd and kill your plants.

Planted strawberries, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes and corn last weekend in my raised bed (corn along a fence). It seems like green aphids might be enjoying my lettuce. Should I be worried about this? Worth it to get ladybugs or something to spray on it?

Planted strawberries, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes and corn last weekend in my raised bed (corn along a fence). It seems like green aphids might be enjoying my lettuce. Should I be worried about this? Worth it to get ladybugs or something to spray on it?

you should have only planted cold veggies, like lettuce or peas, right now. i know it doesn't seem like it but there could be a late frost. as a rule of thumb, i usually only plant most of my veggies after or around Tax day (4/15). if you do get a late frost you may need all new plants.

i have tried a few things but here is a page for options to kill the green aphids http://www.ehow.com/how_5619315_kill-aphids-green-plants.html

Last edited:
you should have only planted cold veggies, like lettuce or peas, right now. i know it doesn't seem like it but there could be a late frost. as a rule of thumb, i usually only plant most of my veggies after or around Tax day (4/15). if you do get a late frost you may need all new plants.

i have tried a few things but here is a page for options to kill the green aphids http://www.ehow.com/how_5619315_kill-aphids-green-plants.html

I'm in Southern California, chances of a frost is pretty low. We are going to get a bunch of rain this weekend though so hopefully that doesn't hurt the young plants.

I'm in Southern California, chances of a frost is pretty low. We are going to get a bunch of rain this weekend though so hopefully that doesn't hurt the young plants.

Haha, I guess you will be OK. I was thinking you were in NC.

deachoops, I'm really late to the party, but I'm a huge fan of planting flower bulbs. They're easier to control and they come back year after year. We've got thousands of bulbs planted around the house.

deachoops, I'm really late to the party, but I'm a huge fan of planting flower bulbs. They're easier to control and they come back year after year. We've got thousands of bulbs planted around the house.

my mom has several bulbs. but i would have needed to start that months ago, wouldn't i?

my mom has several bulbs. but i would have needed to start that months ago, wouldn't i?

It depends on the bulbs. On the back of the bags there are planting guides. Some you plant in the fall, but the prime spring bulb planting season for our region is March-May. Costco had a huge selection of bulbs a few weeks ago.

It depends on the bulbs. On the back of the bags there are planting guides. Some you plant in the fall, but the prime spring bulb planting season for our region is March-May. Costco had a huge selection of bulbs a few weeks ago.

no costco membership, but i'll check them out at whatever store i end up at (i figure i'll find a small local shop where people are more willing to help me out). thanks!

Back