• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

I just planted some cleyera shrubs to give privacy from my neighbor. They grow to 8-10ft, look decent and are low maintenance.

Those massive arborvitae bushes grow really large and fast right? They seem to be popular in my 25ish year old neighborhood as privacy barriers and when they’re mature they are taller than the houses and basically let no visibility through.

Guess you’ll have to wear pants while you wait though, bummer

arborvitaes are actually slow growers. If you use these you will need very mature plants to start with or it will take 5-10 years to get desired effect. I think you are thinking of leyland cypress plants, they grow fast...they can get really tall though. you could consider a variety of laurel, they are evergreen shrubs and grow somewhat quick. you can essentially form a green wall of them.

Yup you got it. “Those giant cone green things” seemed too vague so I tried to google it.

Nelly R. Stevens holly

actually this is a good idea. they are evergreen and get the red berries (can get a little messy). having said that, the leaves have really sharp prickles, so it should be an area that you do not need to access (mow around, etc.).

What kind of plants were they? You might be surprised at how fast some shrubs grow back even when cut back massively. Privet, a commonly used hedge plant, can grow two feet per year.

ETA: The existing stumps are from bushes that presumably were healthy. They have 25 year old established root systems. It may be that watering these bushes will be the fastest way to have a replacement hedge.

I cut down a small tree two weeks ago. Already the stump has sprouted new shoots with leaves.

Interesting thought but how long would it take for them to come back in full?

I think we'll probably go privacy fence for a while as we determine what to plant in fall. Maybe whatever we plant we can stagger instead of just putting them side by side.

I say this every year, but I hate squash bugs. I 7 dust, but it still doesn't get them all. Every couple of days, I'm out there squashing damn squash bugs.

Interesting thought but how long would it take for them to come back in full?

I think we'll probably go privacy fence for a while as we determine what to plant in fall. Maybe whatever we plant we can stagger instead of just putting them side by side.

Time for decent regrowth is dependent on plant species. You haven't said what it is.

I say this every year, but I hate squash bugs. I 7 dust, but it still doesn't get them all. Every couple of days, I'm out there squashing damn squash bugs.

Have you ever thought to use Diatomaceous earth? I highly recommend.

After harrowing the hell out of my garden, I finally created my rows yesterday. I'm a little behind with the potatoes, but I quartered them yesterday and will plan to plant them this weekend. I'm also going to try out my Chapin Push Seeder that I was given last year to plant my other seeds. There may be a little too much clay in my soil for it to work correctly at first, but after a few more years of compost adding, I hope to be able to have more loose soil to plant in.

Planted some cucumber squash and watermelon - Should be low maintenance high yield which is my type of gardening

What are you planting other than potatoes?
I've got around a 1/4 acre garden that will also have Roma tomatoes, jalapeños, zucchini and squash, carrots, onions, corn, sunflowers, kohlrabi, beans, watermelon, and eventually pumpkins. A hodge podge of many things.

Other than the regular tomatoes and cucumbers I do each year I was excited to plant Thai basil this year. Will definitely use that in a ton of things.

The stupid deer are already trying to get in my stupid tomatoes. I'm about to drop a g to string up a 10 foot chicken wire fence around my tomatoes, beans and peppers and be done with it.

The deer are the fucking worst, last year one of them just bulldozed my double fence, actually think it jumped the one landed on the other higher one, but didn’t seem to phase it. Need razor blade wire on the top this year or something.

The deer here are like giant idiot rodents who consume anything nice you attempt to put in your yard. Eventually I’ll kill one with my bare hands and spread its guts as a deterrent to others, since fences or other barriers are a joke to them.

Back