• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

This is why I need to move. I'm relegated to a grill pan. My other option is one of those shitty park grills.

LadyDeacToy and I just bought a house at the end of last summer, so we never really got our outside space set up. We're now in the market for a grill and it's probably most practical to head down to Home Depot (it's really close and we live in downtown DC) to buy one in the next week or two.

Any recommendations? I know that is a really broad question. We're not uber grill aficionados, but will likely have people over a handful of times throughout the summer and then grill for ourselves every now and then. I think we'd prefer gas over charcoal just for the ease and quickness. Hoping to not spend too much money if possible.

What brands or models would y'all recommend?

ladydeac, i was original skeptical of the weber grills because of cost. but i bought the absolute smallest/cheapest one they make (spirit 210). while i certainly could have gotten a different brand for cheaper, i have been amazingly happy with the weber. it heats up REALLY fast, and cooks evenly. i haven't had it very long, so it doesn't mean much yet that i haven't had any problems with it. but from what everybody says, i won't have problems with it for a looooooooooong time.

Last night's dinner:

Grilled Stuffed Pork Chops
-Stuffing was fresh basil and oregano from my garden, garlic, a little evoo, salt, peper, blue cheese, feta cheese, parmesan cheese and a little bit of bacon.

Grilled Asparagas
-Tossed in evoo and balsamic vinegar, grilled.

Spinach & Strawberry Salad (not grilled)
Rice (not grilled, obviously)

Was DELICIOUS

There is nothing like homegrown herbs of the culinary strain. Did you "stuff" them (as in, pack the filling in an incision on the cavity), or roll a boneless chop and bind with butcher's twine? I've become a real big fan of the latter lately, since structural integrity is a sure thing.

Any recommendations? I know that is a really broad question. We're not uber grill aficionados, but will likely have people over a handful of times throughout the summer and then grill for ourselves every now and then. I think we'd prefer gas over charcoal just for the ease and quickness. Hoping to not spend too much money if possible.

What brands or models would y'all recommend?

How many people will you have over? We have the large grill on the trailer, but on the back deck we have a Weber Q 140 (see below). We got it for camping trips, but when cooking for just two of us, its easier and more efficient than the larger grill. I can fit a dozen 1/4lb burgers or close to 50 hot dogs on there at a time. Its a table top model that uses the small canisters, but for not much more you can buy the stand and use a regular propane tank. This is what we did. If you are primarily going to be cooking for the two of you, and are concerned about the money, this might be a good option for you.
weber-q-140.jpg

Grill with the stand:
00000120328-WeberQ300GasGrill-large.jpeg

Weber makes the best everything.

This.

How many people will you have over? We have the large grill on the trailer, but on the back deck we have a Weber Q 140 (see below). We got it for camping trips, but when cooking for just two of us, its easier and more efficient than the larger grill. I can fit a dozen 1/4lb burgers or close to 50 hot dogs on there at a time. Its a table top model that uses the small canisters, but for not much more you can buy the stand and use a regular propane tank. This is what we did. If you are primarily going to be cooking for the two of you, and are concerned about the money, this might be a good option for you.
weber-q-140.jpg

Grill with the stand:
00000120328-WeberQ300GasGrill-large.jpeg

This.

@tsy...although I will defer to your opinion on all things related to smoke and fire, the trailer has a normal sized grill...the Weber Summit is a "big grill."

weber-summit-s-670.jpg

There is nothing like homegrown herbs of the culinary strain. Did you "stuff" them (as in, pack the filling in an incision on the cavity), or roll a boneless chop and bind with butcher's twine? I've become a real big fan of the latter lately, since structural integrity is a sure thing.

I used thick cut pork chops and cut an incision in the middle for stuffing them, so it was a true stuffed pork chop. I still chose to tie them with butchers twine, although I don't know if that made any difference.

I put all the ingredients for the stuffing in my food processor to blend it together - forgot to mention that previously.

lol, if you'll donate it, I'll gladly put that big grill on the trailer. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure that I will be donationg the Summit to Chez OSD first...hope that does not get me kicked off the trailer...:eek:

Did you approve of the dog/steak picture? I look at that picture almost evertime before making steak, good karma.

That has to be a photoshopped pic amirite? No way would a dog be able to hold that in their mouth without nomming it in two bites.

I don't think so...it is straight out of a pretty old Weber cookbook, I scanned it at the house last night...there are great pics in that cookbook, along with recipes.

@tsy...can you do small metal work repairs? I noticed on Sunday that the bottom plate of my Weber Steam-N-Chips box has started to deteriorate. I called Weber yesterday and that part has been discontinued :( We use the smoker box quite a bit and I was hoping that you may be able to repair for whatever fee is requred?

I've gotten better smoke results by putting the chips/chunks in an inverted flavorizor bar I set b/t two of the Weber's flavorizor bars. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot for about $10.

That is a good idea, but how do you add wood chips if you are cooking for 4+ hours?

I'll usually only need to have one of the two grates in place, unless I'm cooking alot of food. If I'm using both grates, I'll just use tongs to tilt up one of the grates enough to allow me to toss more chips/chunks in. I don't have to lift the grate too much, as I have the inverted flavorizor bar sitting b/t the two flavorizor bars closest to the front of the grill.

I'll usually only need to have one of the two grates in place, unless I'm cooking alot of food. If I'm using both grates, I'll just use tongs to tilt up one of the grates enough to allow me to toss more chips/chunks in. I don't have to lift the grate too much, as I have the inverted flavorizor bar sitting b/t the two flavorizor bars closest to the front of the grill.

Thanks for the suggestion, will keep that in mind if I can't get mine repaired...I will have to buy a new grate if I go your route, b/c I would toss my smoker box and get the full size grate again...I have found one on ebay for 35 bucks, so we will see.

Back