• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Down at the Outer Banks this weekend: O'Neal's Sea Harvest on tap.

Bacon-wrapped scallops
Tile fish (butter/lemon/garlic/herbs)
Corn on the cob soaked in a soy-ginger marinade
Peach-halves with melted brown sugar syrup folded into vanilla ice cream.

Blue Rhino, you've been served.

Gonna cook a couple Beer Can Chickens tonight - anybody got a good recipe?

Since you'll only need 1/2 a can of beer, chug the other halves before you put the chickens on there. Dont want to waste it. We always use our poultry dry rub when doing chickens. They're so juicy and flavorful you dont need any type of sauce.

May be able to get to it this coming Monday. Can OSDToy bring them to work tomorrow and I'll pick them up? Should be able to do that and the rivets this weekend :fingerscrossed:

May be able to get to it this coming Monday. Can OSDToy bring them to work tomorrow and I'll pick them up? Should be able to do that and the rivets this weekend :fingerscrossed:

We are both off tomorrow but will be in W-S most of the morning, we can definitely meet you for the exchange.

Since you'll only need 1/2 a can of beer, chug the other halves before you put the chickens on there. Dont want to waste it. We always use our poultry dry rub when doing chickens. They're so juicy and flavorful you dont need any type of sauce.

Sounds like a plan. I'm thinking of doing salt, pepper, and then a dry rub for one and maybe lemon pepper for the other. Will report back with pics.

Also, if you take the pointy end of a can opener and pierce the top of the beer can opposite the mouth it'll help as well.

Haven't checked out the entire thread, but my favorite thing to grill is some Jamaican Jerk Chicken. I get thighs because they're harder to mess up by cooking them too long. Only pain is cleaning 3 jumbo packs of thighs. But just get any old jerk recipe on the net and be sure to marinate the chicken for 2 days. The flavor is unreal - my favorite way to eat chicken.

This Sunday brought a grilled pork shoulder to the jhmd grillatorium. I don't have a "smoker" for such activities, so I used my traditional kettle grill. It always is about 85% perfect, but no matter what I do it is just a little dry.

I'm thinking about brining the shoulder the night before in a salt, water and apple cider vinegar solution (with some diced apples thrown in, just for the aesthetics).

Any ideas (other than the obvious derision of my frugality w/r/to a smoker)?

i'll admit, i've been a pussy when it comes to grilling chicken, sticking mostly to boneless, skinless breasts because they are so easy. last night i grilled some bone-in thighs using indirect heat for the first time. omfg, they were amazing. before putting them on, i grilled 4 ears of corn and the wifey made a black bean/corn salad and a lime cream sauce to go with our chicken. absolute heaven.

Can only quasi post on this thread, but I just made some lamb rib chops on my grill pan tonight and they were spectacular. Coated them in (homemade) ras el hanout (Moroccan spice mix) and served with Harissa and a garlic/dill yogurt sauce. It was perfect.

Can only quasi post on this thread, but I just made some lamb rib chops on my grill pan tonight and they were spectacular. Coated them in (homemade) ras el hanout (Moroccan spice mix) and served with Harissa and a garlic/dill yogurt sauce. It was perfect.

That sounds awesome!

This Sunday brought a grilled pork shoulder to the jhmd grillatorium. I don't have a "smoker" for such activities, so I used my traditional kettle grill. It always is about 85% perfect, but no matter what I do it is just a little dry.

I'm thinking about brining the shoulder the night before in a salt, water and apple cider vinegar solution (with some diced apples thrown in, just for the aesthetics).

Any ideas (other than the obvious derision of my frugality w/r/to a smoker)?

Inject your shoulders with apple juice before and halfway through the cook. Injecting is a trick that most people dont know about or have never thought of attempting, but it'll produce the most moist, succulent bbq you've ever had. Stick with White House or Kirkland and you'll be golden.
64oz-Juice---43600000412.aspx

158996_n1.jpg

i'll admit, i've been a pussy when it comes to grilling chicken, sticking mostly to boneless, skinless breasts because they are so easy. last night i grilled some bone-in thighs using indirect heat for the first time. omfg, they were amazing. before putting them on, i grilled 4 ears of corn and the wifey made a black bean/corn salad and a lime cream sauce to go with our chicken. absolute heaven.

Cooking bone in meats taste better. Most old folks put a hambone in their beans to add flavor, and there's a reason for that. If you cook a bone in right beside a boneless, you can definitely taste the difference.

Grilled a pork tenderloin on Sunday with my 7 Dragons wet rub....it was damn tasty!! Lots of fresh ginger, garlic, scallions, hoisin sauce, Asian chili paste, and a few other ingredients really jazz up a bland cut of pork. Couple of minutes of direct heat/sear and then let it smoke indirectly over lump hardwood coals until 160F. Once again proving the 22.5" Weber OTS kettle is the most versatile grill on the market for less than $90.

Has anyone grilled lobster tails before? I am grilling some tonight and I have done so in the past with great success; however, these tails are just under 1 lb. each and I have usually done 1/2 lb. tails. Any suggestions on cutting (split all the way through and then grill tail halves, skewers, etc...) and also time on the grill? I have always cooked them on direct medium heat, and will definitely brush with clarified butter. Assistance is appreciated.

Back