• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

OSD, I wanted to let you know we used your wing recipe/method with some slight variations to cook up some drumsticks this past weekend. They were phenominal. Tasty, more meaty, and less trouble eating than regular sized wings. IIRC, the price was comparable as well.

OSD, I wanted to let you know we used your wing recipe/method with some slight variations to cook up some drumsticks this past weekend. They were phenominal. Tasty, more meaty, and less trouble eating than regular sized wings. IIRC, the price was comparable as well.

AWESOME!!! I am glad that the OSD's contributed to your celebration. Does this mean that your restuarant will now feature OSD Shrimp, OSD Wings, and OSD Style Drumsticks?

Would have to choose between the wings and drumsticks, but IMO the nod would go to the sticks. Easier to eat, and much easier to prepare. The wings would fall apart on the grill due to being so tender. We didnt have the same problem with the drumsticks.

Get the grill hot, clean, and lubricated. Put the meat on, after 3-4 minutes give the meat a 1/4 turn and place them on a virgin spot on the grill. You'll come out with perfect crosshashes.

Get the grill hot, clean, and lubricated. Put the meat on, after 3-4 minutes give the meat a 1/4 turn and place them on a virgin spot on the grill. You'll come out with perfect crosshashes.

Hot seems easy enough; I use a charcoal starter and get them going pretty good before I dump them. I usually give the fire about five minutes to heat the grates; is that enough time?

As far as "clean", I usually wash the grate once a week with a wet cloth and use a steel brush to brush off anything charred on once the heat has had a chance to do its work prior to.

I don't typically lubricate the grates unless I'm doing fish. What do you use? Olive oil?

Thanks for the feedback. I never seem to have a problem on vegetables (red-skinned potatoes are having a good summer on my grill), but for some reason, meat doesn't seem to pick up the marks as well.

It could be that you aren't getting your grill quite hot enough. I don't ever wash my grate, but I do get it as hot as possible and scrub it hard with the grill brush. To lubricate it, you can use spray Pam, but I prefer a paper towel dipped in EVOO. Can you try to add more charcoal to your pile or lower the grate to get some additional heat?

It could be that you aren't getting your grill quite hot enough. I don't ever wash my grate, but I do get it as hot as possible and scrub it hard with the grill brush. To lubricate it, you can use spray Pam, but I prefer a paper towel dipped in EVOO. Can you try to add more charcoal to your pile or lower the grate to get some additional heat?

I think I need to add some more charcoal. For charcoal grilling, I use a 22.5 Webber kettle grill, so WYSIWYG on grill distance.

On a related note, I had the occasion to be the grillmaster at a cookout at Tanglewood this past weekend. They had some sweet grills for a public shelter (featuring floating grates).

Additional charcoal should help, but adding airflow will also increase the temp. I'm not familiar with those grills, but are there dampers at the bottom of the grill to increase/decrease flow?

made kabobs brushed with mixture of evoo, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and parsley. sirloin steak with zucchini, onion, and mushrooms. served with aioli made with mayo, garlic, lemon juice, and smoked paprika. wifey whipped up some Parmesan risotto. really tasty.

Recipes for the grill

This is my favioret time of the year to grill...the evenings are not sweltering and there is still enough day light to do a full meal.

Lets have it!

Here is my first offering (from the other thread):

4 limes
2 jalapeno Peppers (seeded and gutted if you don't want it hot)
3-4 chunks of ginger root
5 cloves of garlic
3 tbs honey
4 tbs balsamic
4 tbs olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
3 chicken breasts

Squeeze the juice out of the 4 limes
Run the peppers, garlic and ginger in a food processor and add to the juice
Add the honey, balsamic, oil and cumin
Pound the chicken breast and salt and pepper to taste
Add all ingredient to a freezer bag and marinate the chicken for no more than 2 hrs
Grill

I like to serve it with black beans and rice. Tasty summer dish.
SkinsNDeacs is online now Add to SkinsNDeacs's Reputation Edit/Delete Message

Ripe bananas. Cut them in half (long). Grill them. They are awesome for dessert. They go great with ice cream. Grilled apples were nothing to write home about. Cherries were very good.

I'm getting ready to do the foil-wrapped brick on a whole chicken for the first time. Anyone tried this technique?

Finally got a grill yesterday and we're the proud new owners of a Weber Spirit 310!

Looking forward to breaking it in tonight with some sesame ginger pork chops, veggies and grilled pineapple for dessert!

bump

Looking for some new ideas for tailgating with a Weber Q120. Typically we roll out the smoker or charcoal kettle, but I won't have it with me for Charlotte game. Outside of the standard burgers/brats/dogs, any suggestions? I'll have all the time in the world to prep and prepare. Grilling with a flat cast iron grate more than 10 min is tricky b/c it gets really hot and meat tends to scorch with little space for the grease to drain. Thinking about cooking something eccentric like Chimichurri style hanger steaks.

Back