• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Welcome to the family! My Weber turned 14 years old this month. Make sure that you register your grill with them (just makes things easier if you ever need service or want to buy accessories) and sign up on their website for the "Recipe of the Week" email. This is a pic out of one of my Weber cookbooks, Happy grilling!

14 years? That's a lot of mileage. I've got a 22.5 kettle that is on year #2. I hope I get that much run out of it, but I doubt it. Have you had to replace the grates yet?

Welcome to the family! My Weber turned 14 years old this month. Make sure that you register your grill with them (just makes things easier if you ever need service or want to buy accessories) and sign up on their website for the "Recipe of the Week" email. This is a pic out of one of my Weber cookbooks, Happy grilling!

14 years? That's a lot of mileage. I've got a 22.5 kettle that is on year #2. I hope I get that much run out of it, but I doubt it. Have you had to replace the grates yet?

As long as you keep the kettle out of the elements, it will last as long as you see fit. Its a very simple grill to keep clean and rust/mildew free. I've got a Weber Genesis Silver B that I bought back in 2002 and it still cooks like a champ....I degrease it once a year, flip the grates annually, and keep it covered. If you bought porcelain coated CI grates, there should be no need to replace them.

Bump.

How do your grilling menus change when the weather turns seasons?

I'm a big fan of grilling root vegetables as a stand-alone side. Rosemary, black pepper and EVOO and pretty much any chopped root vegetable in a grilled pan or directly on the grates. I start them about ten minutes before the meat hits the fire, and then I slide them over while the meat cooks.

Any Fall grilling tips out there?

Best Gas Grill For The oney

Pit Bosses, we are looking to get a new grill for our back deck. We've got a propane hard line in, and ideally would like 4 burners and a side burner.

Weber is obviously the top of the line IMO, but I am not looking to spend that kind of money right now. What kind do you have or recommend?

No clue but I am sure as shit firing up my new smoker this weekend.

I hate to say it but in my experience you are better off going ahead and spending the money on the Weber. I resisted at first and after two shitty grills I finally went with the Weber.

Last edited:
3rd vote for the suckiness of gas grills...

In all honesty though, if you're set on gas, then definitely put he money in it for a high quality one (for already stated reasons)

I hate to say it but in my experience you are better off going ahead and spending the money on the Weber. I resisted at first and after two shitty grills and finally went with the Weber.

We did the same thing, replaced a 20 year old Weber that finally wore out with something else, suffered with it for about a year, and bought another Weber. I'd take even a lower end basic Weber over the fancier off brands

Yep, Weber. Just make it happen. You'll end up buying 2 or 3 grills before the Weber is toasted, plus the angled bars and heat dispersion system smoke the drippings from the meat you're grilling. Not quite charcoal, but far better than most other gas grills.

Also, whenever someone says gas grills suck, I immediately assume they must be the least busy person ever if they have time to lay out charcoal, light it, wait until it's burned down, then grill whenever they want to cook something. How do people have that much time? Or do you just barely ever grill stuff? I grill like 3+ times a week...

We did the same thing, replaced a 20 year old Weber that finally wore out with something else, suffered with it for about a year, and bought another Weber. I'd take even a lower end basic Weber over the fancier off brands

I bought a Weber Spirit (the cheaper end) this summer. It has been a really good grill through one year. I also have a Weber kettle that I bought at the same time.

Yep, Weber. Just make it happen. You'll end up buying 2 or 3 grills before the Weber is toasted, plus the angled bars and heat dispersion system smoke the drippings from the meat you're grilling. Not quite charcoal, but far better than most other gas grills.

Also, whenever someone says gas grills suck, I immediately assume they must be the least busy person ever if they have time to lay out charcoal, light it, wait until it's burned down, then grill whenever they want to cook something. How do people have that much time? Or do you just barely ever grill stuff? I grill like 3+ times a week...

Gas grill on weeknights. Charcoal on weekends. I can smoke in my kettle.

Have heard really good things about these Wilmington Grills.

http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/index.php

The propane guys at Ribfest last year were ranting and raving about these grills.

Of course I've got multiple smokers and my charcoal grill, but they don't mix well with wooden decks. I want something quick and easy to fire up, and like someone else mentioned, we grill 3-4 times per week. I just don't have to time to commit to charcoal during most nights.

Yeah, as long as you buy them in the colder months it's still much cheaper. Come March, prices will shoot through the roof.

Best "gas" grill on the market:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_177887-505-...|p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Weber

Small gas burner to get the charcoal going.

As a plus, the great heat control of a Weber kettle means you can smoke a couple racks of ribs, a single butt, a turkey, etc without needing to fire up your larger smoker.

Takes about 10 minutes to get charcoal going between the burner and a charcoal chimney. Not much longer than the typical heat up time of a gas grill. I grill over charcoal all of the time after work, with a 3 year old and 1.5 year old hanging off my leg. It's maybe 5 extra minutes of work (knocking the ash off the unburned charcoal from the last meal and pouring/evening out the charcoal to get a nice 2-3 stage fire) over a gas grill.

Last edited:
Back