• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

traeger (wood pellets) is better than charcoal and nearly as fast as gas. doubles as a smoker too. but $$$$$$$

It is not "5 extra minutes" of work to grill over charcoal versus gas. That is ridiculous.

The light-up time for the coals in the chimney over the Performer burner is usually between 10 and 15 minutes for me. Thanks to the Performer's table, that time can easily be used in food prep. Or sometimes I play with my puppy. Or read. No shortage of ways to use that time.

It is not "5 extra minutes" of work to grill over charcoal versus gas. That is ridiculous.

To borrow from your rant over on this thread:
http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8304&page=10

This is why the board needs a function where you can tag a poster's profile with a little reminder, like "knows absolutely nothing about grilling" or "thinks charcoal takes too long" or "wouldn't know a properly grilled steak from a hole in the ground" so you'll be reminded never to give any credence to their future posts.

But seriously, it's takes almost no time to get charcoal going with the gas starter burner and a charcoal chimney. I had a Weber Performer and a gas grill sitting side by side on my porch. Ended up giving the gas grill to my sister because it never got used once I picked up the Performer. From spring to fall, I probably fire up the grill 4-5 nights a week...hell, I'll fire up the grill and cook some things in cast iron pans on the grill rather than on the stove to add a little smoky flavor. Getting a Performer totally changed my opinion on the convenience of charcoal.

Last edited:
The light-up time for the coals in the chimney over the Performer burner is usually between 10 and 15 minutes for me. Thanks to the Performer's table, that time can easily be used in food prep. Or sometimes I play with my puppy. Or read. No shortage of ways to use that time.

Ever tried searing over top of the chimney before dumping the coals? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I typically get the charcoal going and then head inside to prep whatever food I'm going to be throwing on the grill, the same way I would if I had a gas grill that needed to pre-heat.

Fair enough. I've used the Performer once before and it did seem to move the process into the 10-20 minute range from 20-30 with a standard Weber Kettle. Then again you have to keep buying the disposable gas bottles and such.

The thing about the gas Weber is you can very precisely manage temperature. Most people I know light the charcoal, don't wait long enough, throw meat on too early and screw up the process all the while saying "well that didn't take that long." They struggle with consistency and over/under charring.

In the meantime, if I have a steak ready to go, it's on the grill and seared at 500+ degrees 3 minutes after I turn it on, then flip to the back burners for indirect heat at 400 for 6 minutes a side and I'm done.

There's a reason high end steak places don't grill their steaks. Personally I think outside of smoking meat or using hickory or something for flavoring, just the straight up charcoal versus gas fight on high end grills is overrated. I'll lean temp control plus ease of use every time.

I think having a cheap, solid smoker and a nice gas grill is the way to go, but to each their own. I just think, on average, you're talking an extra 20-30 minutes for normal people on a charcoal grill versus a gas grill for everyday use.

Charcoal is also the more expensive fuel source - about $5 per cookout compared to $.20 for gas.

I'll lean temp control plus ease of use every time.

Doesn't sound like you have used a Weber kettle very much. Temp control is exceptional...one of their biggest praises. I can dial temps in better on my kettle than my father-in-laws Weber Genesis. As much as I love the Weber gas grills, the old burner arrangement (front to back) was awful for creating different grilling zones. I believe they've finally gone to a right-left arrangement on the newer grills? Different grilling zones are simple with charcoal. If I'm doing steaks, I sear on the left and then often throw them into a cast iron pan with a little butter to finish them off on indirect on the other side. Can get a grate temp of 800+ directly over the charcoal for searing while the indirect side is only around 450.

As for the replacable gas bottles, they last forever since it's a tiny burner. But you can easily fit a normal propane bottle or a hard line to it if needed.

tsy - If you're going to go gas, buy Weber if you can. If not, I hear good things about the Wilmington's, but I don't know how they compare price wise. But throw charcoal back into the mix in your considerations. You can often find a used Performer for a great price on Craigslist...I think I paid $150 for mine, barely used. Find one at a good price, and it's too much work, you can probably flip it without losing any $$ at all.

Charcoal is also the more expensive fuel source - about $5 per cookout compared to $.20 for gas.

Charcoal goes on sale at various holidays, and I just buy it 20 bags at a time. I probably spend $1 per cook...less if I've found a really good deal. I only need maybe a 1/2 chimney of coals for each cook.

I am having to refrain from loling in my office at people trying to tell tsy that charcoal is better than gas. You know who he is right? You think he doesn't know that and is looking for a more convenient option that is safer on a wood deck? lolz

As for the original question, we had several growing up and finally settled on a Weber for the reasons others have stated- the others just didn't hold up.

ETA: Also a board pet peeve of mine: Person asks for advice on buying something. They have a rational reason for it and explain their situation. Then 20 people come along and tell them that they don't actually want it, they want something else (often times something they already explained, rationally, why they don't want) and how their desires are wrong and inferior. The guy asked for advice on a gas grill and explained that he already owns charcoal and why he is investing in gas. Telling him he wants charcoal is a waste of time.

Last edited:
That and I already have a charcoal grill that I am quite happy with. There are specific reasons I'm looking for a gas grill. It has it's own advantages over the others, plus it's part of my master plan to eventually create an outdoor kitchen complete with a reverse flow smoker, wood fired oven, wood fired grill, charcoal smoker, and gas grill.

Ever tried searing over top of the chimney before dumping the coals? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I typically get the charcoal going and then head inside to prep whatever food I'm going to be throwing on the grill, the same way I would if I had a gas grill that needed to pre-heat.

I haven't, but I'm getting (IMO) really good steaks from using the Weber cast iron insert directly over the charcoal holders in the middle of the grill.

I think most would agree that having both (charcoal and gas) is the best option for the flexibility you get. I have a big green egg and a charbroil professional series gas grill. I very rarely use the BGE during the week but use the gas grill around 2 times a week. I don't think charbroil is all that well built. It's big and does the job, but I don't think it will last forever (had it about 3 years). When this one dies I am likely to go with Weber or Vermont Castings.

Charcoal goes on sale at various holidays, and I just buy it 20 bags at a time. I probably spend $1 per cook...less if I've found a really good deal. I only need maybe a 1/2 chimney of coals for each cook.

I love my performer. Still use my spirit more. I am a charcoal newbie this year though, so that's part of it.

How do you configure your chimney on your Performer? I use the metal baskets on both sides of the burner to light then slide them to the outside and sear over coals and move to the middle. I'm thinking a chimney will save some time.

There's a reason high end steak places don't grill their steaks. Personally I think outside of smoking meat or using hickory or something for flavoring, just the straight up charcoal versus gas fight on high end grills is overrated. I'll lean temp control plus ease of use every time.

I try to cook ribeyes and NY strip steaks at home not infrequently. My current situation (glass cooktop stove) dictates all grilling, all the time, but I think the grill has worked just as well as cast iron, and actually takes less time since I don't have to treat the cast iron nicely and let it gradually come up to super hot temps.

Doesn't sound like you have used a Weber kettle very much. Temp control is exceptional...one of their biggest praises. I can dial temps in better on my kettle than my father-in-laws Weber Genesis. As much as I love the Weber gas grills, the old burner arrangement (front to back) was awful for creating different grilling zones. I believe they've finally gone to a right-left arrangement on the newer grills? Different grilling zones are simple with charcoal. If I'm doing steaks, I sear on the left and then often throw them into a cast iron pan with a little butter to finish them off on indirect on the other side. Can get a grate temp of 800+ directly over the charcoal for searing while the indirect side is only around 450.

As for the replacable gas bottles, they last forever since it's a tiny burner. But you can easily fit a normal propane bottle or a hard line to it if needed.

tsy - If you're going to go gas, buy Weber if you can. If not, I hear good things about the Wilmington's, but I don't know how they compare price wise. But throw charcoal back into the mix in your considerations. You can often find a used Performer for a great price on Craigslist...I think I paid $150 for mine, barely used. Find one at a good price, and it's too much work, you can probably flip it without losing any $$ at all.

You think the average person can control temps better on a charcoal kettle than a Genesis, more power to you.

And yes, I owned and completely wore out a Weber Kettle for most of my life, and worked steaks and seafood on both a grill and broiler at a restaurant in Buckhead. You may be the Jesus Christ of grilling, but you're coming off as condescending.

I love my performer. Still use my spirit more. I am a charcoal newbie this year though, so that's part of it.

How do you configure your chimney on your Performer? I use the metal baskets on both sides of the burner to light then slide them to the outside and sear over coals and move to the middle. I'm thinking a chimney will save some time.

Take the grate off, fill the chimney appropriately, place over the burner. Once lit, pour onto charcoal grate or into baskets, position with long tongs. Am I answering the right question?

You think the average person can control temps better on a charcoal kettle than a Genesis, more power to you.

And yes, I owned and completely wore out a Weber Kettle for most of my life, and worked steaks and seafood on both a grill and broiler at a restaurant in Buckhead. You may be the Jesus Christ of grilling, but you're coming off as condescending.

Not to mention demonstrating a lack of reading what advice was being asked for and the current situation.

It's pretty damn simple. Pile charcoal on one side, gently sloping to the center of the grill. Open the top damper and adjust temp with the bottom damper. Doesn't require Jesus like abilities. Treat the bottom damper just like you treat the knobs on a gas grill.

Back