• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I am having to refrain from loling in my office at people trying to tell tsy that charcoal is better than gas. You know who he is right? You think he doesn't know that and is looking for a more convenient option that is safer on a wood deck? lolz

I know tsy. We have very similar interests/preferences when it comes to smoking/grilling. It's rare that he's not the first person I see or talk to on a Saturday morning at Groves. I'm sharing my experience because I was thinking along the same lines as he is until I picked up a Performer and my thoughts about the need for a gas grill changed. Actually, if I didn't know Tsy, I wouldn't have brought up the Performer at all.

Now that I see more about his master plan, I wouldn't offer the same advice.

The rest is just an argument with DCDeac.

I know tsy. We have very similar interests/preferences when it comes to smoking/grilling. It's rare that he's not the first person I see or talk to on a Saturday morning at Groves. I'm sharing my experience because I was thinking along the same lines as he is until I picked up a Performer and my thoughts about the need for a gas grill changed. Actually, if I didn't know Tsy, I wouldn't have brought up the Performer at all.

Now that I see more about his master plan, I wouldn't offer the same advice.

The rest is just an argument with DCDeac.

Fair enough. My main point wasn't aimed directly at you, but at advice givers on this thread in general, just used it as an example.

Last edited:
You think the average person can control temps better on a charcoal kettle than a Genesis, more power to you.

And yes, I owned and completely wore out a Weber Kettle for most of my life, and worked steaks and seafood on both a grill and broiler at a restaurant in Buckhead. You may be the Jesus Christ of grilling, but you're coming off as condescending.

Oh, the irony.

Oh, the irony.

I love how you leave anonymous neg rep even though you're a mod.

You stay classy DV7. Lose an argument with someone and then follow them around like a petulant child posting on threads you have no interest in. Bash mods on other board, start your own and be just like them. Nice.

As for the actual thread subject, Racer I'm not arguing with you in general. In the other grilling/smoking threads I don't think I've ever argued with you. I'm arguing based on the advice requested and the situation put forward. You just said that wouldn't be your advice based on the request, so whatever.

While charcoal grills are better, they are a pain in the ass for use during the week and for 'short cook' items.

I have a BGE and a Webber Summit with a dedicated natural gas line on my back porch.

For grilling a simple steak, shellfish or seafood, the Summit is the much better option. Something that sits on the grill for less than 10 mins is not going to garner a huge benefit from charcoal or wood and the resultant smoke.

Also, even if you have one of those hybrid things, it may accelerate the start up time, but the cleanup is still there.

If you already have a great smoker, a reliable gas Weber is a solid investment.

I love how you leave anonymous neg rep even though you're a mod.

You stay classy DV7. Lose an argument with someone and then follow them around like a petulant child posting on threads you have no interest in. Bash mods on other board, start your own and be just like them. Nice.

As for the actual thread subject, Racer I'm not arguing with you in general. In the other grilling/smoking threads I don't think I've ever argued with you. I'm arguing based on the advice requested and the situation put forward. You just said that wouldn't be your advice based on the request, so whatever.

Eh? I signed my rep to you. And it was a pos rep. Nice try, tho.

deacvision7 16:24, 17th Jan 2012 Enough clogging up that thread, but I missed my bet by 1 game. I don't think it was that terrible. And was happy to pay it since it exceeded my expectations.
-dv7

And I have plenty of interest in grilling. I love to grill. You apparently don't know how to use a charcoal grill, however.

And I have plenty of interest in grilling. I love to grill. You apparently don't know how to use a charcoal grill, however.

Yeah, you've really added a lot to this thread. Thanks for sharing. Nothing like a mod mucking shit up and starting fights on threads for no reason.

If you do get a new Weber gas grill, make sure you get the porcelain coated cast iron grates vs. SS or non-PCI. Big big difference in heat retention and searing.

As a Weber man (Genesis Silver B, 22.5" kettle, WSM), you can't go wrong with adding a gas grill to complement your mix. If anything, its stability in retaining heat is critical...especially when grilling in adverse conditions. I'm talking rain, snow, 20F, and wind. I've got my kettle rigged up with all kinds of mods (fire bricks, CI grates, dome and grate thermometers)...its truly one of a kind.... and on an average day can control the internal temps just as well as with my gas grill, but kettles are not perfect. Rain, cold temps, and wind DO adversely impact your heat retention in a kettle. At least the gas grill has a constant heat source that can quickly compensate for any heat fluctuations due to adverse conditions.

It takes me less than 15 minutes to sear a 3" steak from the time I press the ignition button until I'm plating the meat. No residue, no smoke, no smells. Clean hands. Grill cooled off by the time I've finished eating. Cover goes on and I'm done. That's about as perfect for a weeknight with children as I can imagine.

Anyone know much about a Weber Spirit E-210? I need a grill and it has to be propane because I live in an apt complex (before everyone starts arguing again).

Anyone know much about a Weber Spirit E-210? I need a grill and it has to be propane because I live in an apt complex (before everyone starts arguing again).

I have the next line up with 3 burners (330?). It's great. The construction is similar to the genesis, just with some skimping on the frame materials. It is my understanding that the burners are the same.

Yeah, you've really added a lot to this thread. Thanks for sharing. Nothing like a mod mucking shit up and starting fights on threads for no reason.

dude, you act like a condescending prick constantly. don't pucker up when called on it. christ....

dude, you act like a condescending prick constantly. don't pucker up when called on it. christ....

Eh, there's the world of the Dv7's who call people twats, fuckheads, cum stains, and all kinds of other shit that they'd never say to someone's face - in those threads I readily admit to being a condescending prick.

On legit threads though - where some internet tough guy isn't getting personal and it's actually for legit advice - TV buying, gas grill recommendations, refi stuff, helping out with job interviews in DC, etc - no such bullshit. Hell I went back and forth with the board techs when the site was down on Apache config fixes. You think it's worth getting a rise out of someone and then following them around to every thread they post on, more power to you.

Good points, but to his credit (discredit?) Dv7 does say those types of things to people in real life too.

Ever tried searing over top of the chimney before dumping the coals? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I typically get the charcoal going and then head inside to prep whatever food I'm going to be throwing on the grill, the same way I would if I had a gas grill that needed to pre-heat.

I use my chimney to roast peppers before I dump the charcoal out and it is by far the most effective mechanism I have every found to char peppers. It even beats putting them over a direct flame on a gas burner. They char almost immediately because that chimney is like a jet engine when fully roaring.

Good points, but to his credit (discredit?) Dv7 does say those types of things to people in real life too.

I'm sure. And in the past I've given him plenty of credit and sung the praises of the new board. But he doesn't know me, and if he called me a twat to my face we'd have a problem. To say he's highly inflammatory and disrespectful, particularly on threads ripping our basketball program, is something I don't even think he'd argue. He's said as much.

I mean, my fault for stooping to that level, all I'm saying is that, much like getting into partisan arguments on the politics board usually didn't mean you held it against someone on the sports board, all threads are not created equal.

Enough threadjacking, it is what it is. Enough bullshit for one day. Gotta get back to the house and buy beer for my Wake colleagues who are coming over for the Duke game. We're going to need plenty of alcohol, I'm afraid.

Lowe's usually has solid spring deals on Weber/Char-Broil.

Also they always have a BOGO deal for Kingsford charcoal around Memorial Day.

Back