• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

My MIL suggested we check out Holland Grills. From briefly looking them up, they look pretty nice. Anyone heard anything about them?
http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

I used one for many years. They offer certain advantages as well as disadvantages. Mainly, there's a huge drip pan that covers the burners, so never is there any chance for a flare up. You can plug up the drip pan and fill it with water/etc. to steam stuff. Or you can throw hardwood chips onto the pan and it becomes a semi-smoker.

Mainly, it's not a high-heat grill and tends to cook things slowly and it's almost impossible to burn stuff on. That can be an advantage for the casual chef more interested in easy than good. Obviously, however, if you want to use high heat for searing, etc. then this is not the grill for you. Unless they've changed some things in recent years.

We decided to bite the bullet and got a 4 burner weber summit.

:thumbsup: Gotta like a guy who starts out looking to spend less $$ and ends up with a top of the line Weber.

Report back on the SS grates after your first big grill. I've heard some love them and some miss the porcelain coated cast iron. Trade off between easy of cleanup and heat retention I guess.

I guess you could always buy one of the cast iron inserts for a Weber kettle and lay it on your normal grates for searing purposes. Best of both worlds.

The place I got it has a Weber rep assigned to it, so I can call him with any problems and he makes free house calls. I've never had porcelain grates before so can't compare.

To celebrate we've got some NY Strips and Tiger Prawns. I'm doing the initial burnout now, and only a couple minutes in, I'm at 700 degrees and rising. This thing has so many bells and whistles.

Good points, but to his credit (discredit?) Dv7 does say those types of things to people in real life too.

Well, he clearly has never blown that smoke in my grill, as it were.

That would result in some shit getting burnt... as the old Louisiana cook used to say "and on dat I Guaranteeeeee!!!" :)

Oh, and Coleman makes a solid gas grill.

tsy, did you get it at Casual Furniture World?

Yep.

After one use, I'm sold. Well worth the hefty price tag IMO. We rationalized either spending $400 and getting a new grill every 5 to 7 years or spending what we did and getting one that will last us 20+. Once we get around to building the outdoor kitchen, we can remove the grill from the base and it'll slide right into a custom outdoor cabinet. 25 year warranty on the shell, 14 and 10 years on the components, and a Weber rep who makes warranty related house calls free of charge ended up tipping the scale. Plus, the majority of it is made in America.

Yep.

After one use, I'm sold. Well worth the hefty price tag IMO. We rationalized either spending $400 and getting a new grill every 5 to 7 years or spending what we did and getting one that will last us 20+. Once we get around to building the outdoor kitchen, we can remove the grill from the base and it'll slide right into a custom outdoor cabinet. 25 year warranty on the shell, 14 and 10 years on the components, and a Weber rep who makes warranty related house calls free of charge ended up tipping the scale. Plus, the majority of it is made in America.

And some of the BEST customer service on the planet (if you ever need it.) I am hoping to get the 6 burner Summit after we finish our patio.

We debated between the 6 and 4 burner. Since there are only two of us and most cooks will be for a small gathering of people, we went with the 4. I thought it was excessive for everyday use, mainly because of the extra area you'd have to heat up each cook. You can't go wrong with either of them though.

I should clarify, I have 4 main burners, a smoker burner, a searing burner in the middle, and the rotisserie burner up top. Technically, my 4 burner grill has 7.

BTTT. Saw this on Craigslist. Can anyone in Charlotte confirm it? It was posted 1/14/12.

18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain's new in box at Home Depot. The 22.5" models are on clearance for $54. I found one at a local HD store by them searching another store's inventory.

Don't over pay on a new one!!!!!

Report back on the SS grates after your first big grill. I've heard some love them and some miss the porcelain coated cast iron. Trade off between easy of cleanup and heat retention I guess.

I've cooked 3 times on the grill since Friday, and love the stainless steel. I oil them up before throwing the meat on there, and afterwards use a spray water bottle to steam clean them. I cooked a couple steaks the first night, cooked 30 chicken breasts and 4 flank steaks the second night, and a bone in chicken breast/thigh last night. I havent had a problem with heat retention at all. Obviously opening the lid drops the temperature down, but it pops back up 30 seconds after closing the lid.

BTTT. Saw this on Craigslist. Can anyone in Charlotte confirm it? It was posted 1/14/12.

18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain's new in box at Home Depot. The 22.5" models are on clearance for $54. I found one at a local HD store by them searching another store's inventory.

I'll try to confirm today. :eek:

Wait...as in the WSM that's normally a couple hundred?

Back