• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Thinking it's a bogus Craigslist Ad. The Home Depot lists "Item not sold at this store" for all stores within 50 miles of Charlotte, and the 22.5 is listed as "ONLINE EXCLUSIVE".

That said, I may still drop in to a store on my way to a meeting tonight. Need to grab some hardware for putting together my garden beds this weekend anyway.

Last edited:
Thinking it's a bogus Craigslist Ad. The Home Depot lists "Item not sold at this store" for the 18.5 at all Charlotte stores I've checked, and the 22.5 is listed as "ONLINE EXCLUSIVE".

Same for the Charleston and Columbia area stores...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I figured it would be worth a shot to have someone in CLT check it out. There has to be close to a dozen HD's in the greater CLT area though right? Since the post didnt mention a specific store, its got me skeptical.

We decided to bite the bullet and got a 4 burner weber summit.

Great choice. I have had this guy for about 3 years now. With the amount of time you spend smoking and grilling, it wont be a waste.

1303763722_WeberSummitS-420GasGrill-PropaneLP_cmyk_7120001B.jpg

14-weber-summit-s-470-gas.jpg

Its very similar to yours, but they've added the flip up rotisserie, searing burner and devoted smoking burner. I will say this, I used to make fun of Weber snobs, but after owning one for less than a week, I believe the hype. I havent regretted it once. The only complaint I have is that the thermometer is fogging up. After a few minutes of being lit, it clears right up though.

TAB, I assume the previous models came with a smoking box but just didnt include the devoted burner. Do you just use the bagged hardwood chunks, or have you tried throwing some wood found around the yard in there? I've got tons of hickory and oak that is lying around, and I'm thinking about just chipping it up and using it rather than going out and purchasing additional wood.

Last edited:
I have that same Weber as well. I was in the same boat as tsy regarding making fun of Weber snobs but I have had mine for almost a year and I love it. It is a great option when I don't have enough time to cook on the BGE.

I may have to get this:
61Nuup6u18L._SS500_.jpg

For the preorder price of $14, I jumped all over it when I got that email.

Got this in the mail yesterday, and used it for the first time last night. I love the 30" handle, but its a little too tall to fit between the main surface and the warming grate, so I can only clean 3/4 of the grate without removing the upper grate. Not a big deal at all. I might actually take out the warming rack, because I rarely use it.

steven-raichlen-ultimate-grill-brush-03_large.jpg

Its very similar to yours, but they've added the flip up rotisserie, searing burner and devoted smoking burner. I will say this, I used to make fun of Weber snobs, but after owning one for less than a week, I believe the hype. I havent regretted it once. The only complaint I have is that the thermometer is fogging up. After a few minutes of being lit, it clears right up though.

TAB, I assume the previous models came with a smoking box but just didnt include the devoted burner. Do you just use the bagged hardwood chunks, or have you tried throwing some wood found around the yard in there? I've got tons of hickory and oak that is lying around, and I'm thinking about just chipping it up and using it rather than going out and purchasing additional wood.

Mine didn't come with a smoking box or any other accessories. I may have to look into that. If I smoke, its on the Egg. When I bought mine 3+ years ago, the main features that the more pricey models had were the rotisserie and some sort of infrared burner thing. I couldn't see myself really using those, so didnt pay the extra $500 or whatever it was.

Let me know how well the rotisserie performs though if you use it.

Last edited:
Mine didn't come with a smoking box or any other accessories. I may have to look into that. If I smoke, its on the Egg. When I bought mine 3+ years ago, the main features that the more pricey models had were the rotisserie and some sort of infrared burner thing. I couldn't see myself really using those, so didnt pay the extra $500 or whatever it was.

Let me know how well the rotisserie performs though if you use it.
DSCF3401-M.jpg

Here a photo of what the inside looks like. The complaints in the reviews I've read were that the box gets too much air and eventually the wood chips light up, so we'll see how that works this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, because I dont have anything small that I can smoke in. (Maybe I'll get a BGE for Christmas) The reverse flow smoker takes too much fuel to do smaller smokes.

DSCF3401-M.jpg

Here a photo of what the inside looks like. The complaints in the reviews I've read were that the box gets too much air and eventually the wood chips light up, so we'll see how that works this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, because I dont have anything small that I can smoke in. (Maybe I'll get a BGE for Christmas) The reverse flow smoker takes too much fuel to do smaller smokes.

The issue I had w/ the smoker box on my Genesis was that due to the gap where the back of the lid meets the base, and the side placement of the box, most of the smoke seemed to go up the side and out the back gap w/o really doing a good job of enveloping the meat. I stopped using it, and get much better results by placing the wood in a couple of inverted flavorizor bars set b/t the grill's flavorizor bars. This lets the smoke rise up into the meat, and also lets the meat cook over the hot embers.

I've seen that comment from a few others as well. One of the guys modified his by getting a stove gasket. Another interesting modification he did, was create a pizza rack. I might have to look into doing that as well.

Attachments

• P1000775.jpg
    P1000775.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
For the preorder price of $14, I jumped all over it when I got that email.

Got this in the mail yesterday, and used it for the first time last night. I love the 30" handle, but its a little too tall to fit between the main surface and the warming grate, so I can only clean 3/4 of the grate without removing the upper grate. Not a big deal at all. I might actually take out the warming rack, because I rarely use it.

steven-raichlen-ultimate-grill-brush-03_large.jpg

tsy...any clue when the book will ship?

Pork loin has been on for 30 minutes. I'm able to keep it steady at 250 with just the rotisserie burner(on high) and the smoke burner(on low). Jack Daniels cask chips are in the smoke box and we went with our usual pork rub. So far so good.

just got a weber spirit. gimme some tips/recipes almighty pit.

Pork loin has been on for 30 minutes. I'm able to keep it steady at 250 with just the rotisserie burner(on high) and the smoke burner(on low). Jack Daniels cask chips are in the smoke box and we went with our usual pork rub. So far so good.

It turned out well. I had some major problems keeping temperature, but we were also dealing with some pretty severe winds Saturday evening/night. Every 10-15 minutes the wind would blow so hard it would blow the fire out and I'd have to relight. That was annoying, but it got the job done. I had a nice, tiny little smoke ring, but it didnt have the flavor, texture, or color of cooking in the smoker. We sliced it up, and served it on some sandwiches.

Attachments

• 425640_724211137983_7204697_35270439_7540988_n.jpg
    425640_724211137983_7204697_35270439_7540988_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
So now that I have my big grill, my WFU grill cover that I had intended to put on it will not fit. Its never been used, just taken out of the package once and will be free to the 1st person who sends me a PM. The kicker is you have to be able to meet me in Winston to pick it up one afternoon.

Back