• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

After never grilling a day in my life before, we bought a Weber Spirit 310 late last summer and I feel sufficiently proficient using it now. We also recently got a patio put in and our new patio furniture came yesterday, so we're all set for grilling season (yes, I realize that all year round is grilling season...but I'm just specifically noting spring/summer :cool:).

One thing I am pretty excited about is mastering pizza grilling. We've done it a couple of times now and the results have been great! Preheating the grill with a pizza stone inside and then sliding the pizza onto the stone for right around 6 minutes. Perfectly puffy and crisp. Yum.

543017_769953070783_7204697_35451701_419424146_n.jpg

Surf and Turf from last week. 4 months in and I'm still saying getting the Weber was one of the best decisions I've ever made. We were planning on salmon for dinner tonight, and right on cue I get the following email: http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipes/seafood/cedar-planked-salmon-with-coriander-citrus-glaze Its like they were reading my mind man.

I'm going through the history of Weber website that was linked in the email today and came across this. I think I like their comment the best:

weber_grill_1966.png

1966: The Wishing Well
A grill we wish we had never made.

Grilled Peaches:

Half and pit peaches. Drizzle with olive oil. Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes. Just enough to warm the peach and add grill marks.

Once grilled add either a) feta and minced mint for a more savory peach or b) ricotta and a splash of balsamic vinegar for a sweeter peach.

They make great sides or desserts for summer grills.

Don't forget that Pearson Peaches of Ft. Valley, Georgia is owned and run by Deacons.

grilledpeacheswithricotta.jpg

Grilled Peaches:

Half and pit peaches. Drizzle with olive oil. Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes. Just enough to warm the peach and add grill marks.

Once grilled add either a) feta and minced mint for a more savory peach or b) ricotta and a splash of balsamic vinegar for a sweeter peach.

They make great sides or desserts for summer grills.

Don't forget that Pearson Peaches of Ft. Valley, Georgia is owned and run by Deacons.

grilledpeacheswithricotta.jpg

I do this often. Add butter, brown sugar, and brie to the sliced side for some deliciousness.

After watching Bobby Flay last night, I'm throwing out the idea of doing Caribbean Jerk chicken legs. Anyone have a good recipe?

I have a Weber Summit that I do my short cooks on and a Weber Kettle 22.5 long cooks. I was looking at getting a bullet type smoker for extra long cooks (22.5 WSM) but did not want to drop $400 on another grill right now. I did some searching on how to get longer cooks w/o having to add fuel every hour or so. I found this method - I put 2 fire bricks across the lower grate and bank my charcoal against them (the bricks act as a heat sink to help with the temp.). I leave the top vent fully open and the bottom 1/8" open to fully closed. (sorry I do not have a pic)
I have used this method my last couple of smokes and it works very well. The last cook I did was around 6hrs. I started with about 60 unlit Kingsford Blue and put 6 lit coals on one end. I still had fuel left when the meat was done. I feel it could have gone another 2 to 3hrs before adding.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for sending that. Its really similar to the one Flay used from what I remember. Can you substitute a habanero for the scotch bonnet pepper?

Yep. A habanero should work as well.

I have a Weber Summit that I do my short cooks on and a Weber Kettle 22.5 long cooks. I was looking at getting a bullet type smoker for extra long cooks (22.5 WSM) but did not want to drop $400 on another grill right now. I did some searching on how to get longer cooks w/o having to add fuel every hour or so. I found this method - I put 2 fire bricks across the lower grate and bank my charcoal against them (the bricks act as a heat sink to help with the temp.). I leave the top vent fully open and the bottom 1/8" open to fully closed. (sorry I do not have a pic)
I have used this method my last couple of smokes and it works very well. The last cook I did was around 6hrs. I started with about 60 unlit Kingsford Blue and put 6 lit coals on one end. I still had fuel left when the meat was done. I feel it could have gone another 2 to 3hrs before adding.

I've been using the fire brick method for many years on my Weber kettle. Its perfect for mid range smokes like ribs, chicken, pork loin, tri tip, etc....anything but pork butts and brisket. You can really amp up the level of smoke penetration and moisture in your meat, as well as duration of the charcoal, by adding a water pan. I only use my WSM for pork butts and briskets these days. The fire bricks are also very convenient when cooking burgers and steaks and a high heat sear is needed. Block off 1/3 of the bottom grate with the fire bricks and you've created a very hot and insulated direct heat zone.

Awesome. Thanks for sending that. Its really similar to the one Flay used from what I remember. Can you substitute a habanero for the scotch bonnet pepper?

TSY, you may want to make a big correction for the Jerk recipe I sent you. I mistyped while I was on a conference call. It should be 2 teaspoons of salt.

Good deal. A little extra salt never killed nobody did it? :)

Most likely, my wife will insist we change up the recipe slightly. She never does anything by the book.

I've been using the fire brick method for many years on my Weber kettle. Its perfect for mid range smokes like ribs, chicken, pork loin, tri tip, etc....anything but pork butts and brisket. You can really amp up the level of smoke penetration and moisture in your meat, as well as duration of the charcoal, by adding a water pan. I only use my WSM for pork butts and briskets these days. The fire bricks are also very convenient when cooking burgers and steaks and a high heat sear is needed. Block off 1/3 of the bottom grate with the fire bricks and you've created a very hot and insulated direct heat zone.

Why do you say this about pork butts? Mine have turned very tender and nice smoke ring. But at this time the kettle is my only option.

Trying my hand at some Jucy Lucys tonight
Damn those burgers are good. With one of them the cheese oozed completely out of it down into the grill...I definitely won't push the patties down w/ a spatula next time. I tried it with american this time and I'll try some different cheeses next time. :thumbsup:

You definitely dont want to push the burgers down on the grill, that a recipe for a molten explosion. I've found that it works better if you create a small indention in the patties before you put them together. Making sure you crimp the entire outer edge is vital. Next time try it with a peppery cheese. Pepperjack is phenomenal.

So I'm going to be buying a grill in the next two weeks or so and I'm curious what kind y'all recommend. I don't have a tremendous amout of space, so one of the monsters isn't going to work for me. Any suggestions?

If you are looking for charcoal and not the cost is the BGE, the classic Weber Kettle cannot be beat.

Back