• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Gas only (unfortunately) and I plan on using it multiple times a week.

You cant go wrong with a Weber. If you are thinking gas, and wouldnt be cooking for a large number of people, I'd go with one of the portable Webers. We have one of these, the Q-220 and loved it. We used it as our main grill for a couple years until we were in a position to buy our larger grill. It takes up next to no space, is portable, and can be used on a table top. We still use ours for small tailgates and camping. It took longer to cook for larger groups when we'd have parties, but unless you have groups over a couple times a month, its not that much of a hassle.

weber_q.jpg

Why do you say this about pork butts? Mine have turned very tender and nice smoke ring. But at this time the kettle is my only option.

I typically cook at least 2 pork butts at a time (IMO not worth the time/cost/prep to only cook 1), and the kettle can't keep up with the WSM when it comes to keeping charcoal at a steady temp for 12-18 hours. I'm a low and slow guy. No foil on the butts, and minimum size 7# with bone in. I cook at 225F for butts and the kettle always runs hot for me...even with the bottom vents slightly open and two water pans. Ribs, chicken, other cuts of pork and beef can cook indirectly at 350F and still taste great. Not saying cooking a butt in the kettle is wrong, but I prefer to let the magic of turning collagen into gelatin take hours.

Don't want to start a new thread for this and thought maybe y'all could be some help. Wife and I have had an exhausting week which has necessitated some fast food. Just got an email from the local butcher shop and they just got some king crab and lobster tails in. So I'm thinking of preparing a meal with either of these but have never done so. Any ideas on what to do? Prep time needs to be less than an hour.

Don't want to start a new thread for this and thought maybe y'all could be some help. Wife and I have had an exhausting week which has necessitated some fast food. Just got an email from the local butcher shop and they just got some king crab and lobster tails in. So I'm thinking of preparing a meal with either of these but have never done so. Any ideas on what to do? Prep time needs to be less than an hour.

Cut the lobster tails in half and put them on the grill for a few minutes each side. I like to go flesh down first and then flip them over (Shell side) and baste with melted butter. You'll know when they're ready based on feel/look.

I'll give it a shot. What sides do you usually eat with that? 1 lb. of lobster tails enough for two? Medium heat?

Last time I grilled lobster tails I had them with steak and grilled corn on the cob; cooked everything over charcoal. I did the lobster tails last because they took the least amount of time; just a few minutes each side. How many tails are you getting in 1 pound? My wife and I bought two small tails and each had one. In the interest of full disclosure, we were pretty full eating a lobster tail and small steak. Check out the third paragraph in this recipe; it's basically what I did (heat: medium to medium high): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-lobster-tails-with-herb-butter-recipe/index.html

i would poach them not grill them. theyll taste better poached in wine. they end up too tough when grilled imo.

I don't grill lobster tails very often, but have had good luck with steaming them first, then finishing on the grill with the melted butter for the grill marks. My fear is the meat will stick to my cast iron grates b/c they get super hot....which is why I'm not a fan of grilling any fish or shellfish directly on the grate (prefer cedar plank).

I love a simple linguine with white wine/garlic/butter/herb sauce and aspargus to pair with lobster tails.

1. Get seafood
2. Prepare it the way others have described.
3. Invite us all over for a sampling and critique.
4. Profit

It was a good meal; hard to go wrong with lobster and butter. The butter sauce was also good with a side of pasta when added with some olive oil. I might make it again if I ever find lobster tails on sale. I paid $45 for about 1.5 lbs of lobster (two tails) so I'm too cheap to do this again any time soon.

We made pimento cheeseburgers last night, with homemade palmetto style pimento cheese. We grilled the red peppers, chopped them and threw them in. Add on top of that a buttered roll from the breadmaker and it was melt in you mouth good.

We took an ice cream scoop and plopped the pimento cheese on the burgers and let them melt for a few minutes. Pimento cheese burgers are a pretty big thing where I'm from, but a few of my coworkers had never heard of them. We got the Plametto Cheese at Costco and liked it so much that we cloned it. I used to buy jarred pimento in the store when making it, but now that we've started grilling the fresh red peppers, its a gamechanger.

I fucking love pimento cheese. Don't think I have ever had it on a burger, though I expect this to be remedied this weekend. We did a teriyaki port tenderloin on the grill last night. Anything teriyaki on the grill is awesome because of the sugars getting all charred and awesome.

i've been on the pimento cheese burger bandwagon for 10 years probably. i'm a huge fan of them.

tsy, you are spot on wrt palmetto cheese. that shit is so damn good. it's also money on a hotdog FYI.

I fucking love pimento cheese. Don't think I have ever had it on a burger, though I expect this to be remedied this weekend. We did a teriyaki port tenderloin on the grill last night. Anything teriyaki on the grill is awesome because of the sugars getting all charred and awesome.

What. The. Fuck.

I am totally surprised by this.

Back