• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

Did a beer can chicken on the BGE last night. Fantastic as always.

In related news, just picked up a bigger grill last night. Went with a barrel style smoker-gril. Cast iron grates, chimeny, adjustable charcoal rack. Nothing fancy, but will be a good tool for learning the art of smoking!

Please post pics/summaries on the Smoking Food Thread too kthx! :thumbsup:

Please post pics/summaries on the Smoking Food Thread too kthx! :thumbsup:

Will do TSY.

I need to get it assembled and I need to season the cast iron grates before the first use. I probably won't get to smoking anything for a few weeks, but I will be frequenting the smoking foods thread!

Great appetizer - take some asparagus and just barely blanch them, maybe <30 seconds and then drain and hit with cold water. I do this just long enough to bring out the color. Wrap each piece with a thin layer of prociutto and lightly brush with olive oil. Grill for a few minutes, turning frequently. Remove and immediately sprinkle with shredded Parmesean cheese. Serve and watch disappear.

Threw down some thick cut pork chops and asparagus.

I rubbed a thin layer of deli-style spicy mustard on the pork and applied a spice rub. The mustard carmalized into a nice crust.

The asparagus was marinated in balsamic vinegar, skewered, and grilled about 2 minutes on each side.

I can't wait for big, fresh peaches to be in season. My go-to summer dessert is a grilled peach - cut the peach in half, remove the pit. Generously sprinkle brown suger on the open side of the peach and grill until carmalized/grill marks appear. Put a nice dollop of bourbon-whipped cream in the center when you serve them. Money.

In related news, just picked up a bigger grill last night. Went with a barrel style smoker-gril. Cast iron grates, chimeny, adjustable charcoal rack. Nothing fancy, but will be a good tool for learning the art of smoking!

That sounds awesome. Any secret to the bourbon whipped cream or do you just whip some bourbon in?

That sounds awesome. Any secret to the bourbon whipped cream or do you just whip some bourbon in?

Heavy whipping cream, bourbon to taste. Just start with a small quantity of bourbon and add according to your preference.

did bleu cheese burgers with bacon last night. mixed hamburger meat (~2 lbs) with worchester, a little texas pete, salt, pepper, dry mustard, 4 oz bleu cheese. they were outstanding.

Threw down some thick cut pork chops and asparagus.

I rubbed a thin layer of deli-style spicy mustard on the pork and applied a spice rub. The mustard carmalized into a nice crust.

The asparagus was marinated in balsamic vinegar, skewered, and grilled about 2 minutes on each side.

I can't wait for big, fresh peaches to be in season. My go-to summer dessert is a grilled peach - cut the peach in half, remove the pit. Generously sprinkle brown suger on the open side of the peach and grill until carmalized/grill marks appear. Put a nice dollop of bourbon-whipped cream in the center when you serve them. Money.

marry me?

this sounds amazing.

Great appetizer - take some asparagus and just barely blanch them, maybe <30 seconds and then drain and hit with cold water. I do this just long enough to bring out the color. Wrap each piece with a thin layer of prociutto and lightly brush with olive oil. Grill for a few minutes, turning frequently. Remove and immediately sprinkle with shredded Parmesean cheese. Serve and watch disappear.
Made something similar using the oven (just wrap the asparagus, drizzle and season and cook on 350-375 for 10 min or so).

Waiting to get our fence put in and fix our yard a little bit but need to buy a grill!

my go-to grilling side is brown sugar pineapple. It's pretty tough so follow these directions to a T.

1- get some fresh pineapple slices. This means you slice up a pineapple. Dredge in brown sugar.
2- Grill out whatever meat you love.
3- About time you're taking the meat off the grill and letting it sit, toss on the pineapple slices.
4- After a few minutes on each side, bring them off the grill and eat them.
5- Try to keep your panties from getting too drenched over the goodness in your mouth.

I burned the shit out of a bone-in ribeye last night due to a drip pan grease fire. Fed about half of the steak to the dogs and then had to spend an hour cleaning the grill. Yay.

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...uo 3-Burner Black Gas and Charcoal Grill 5050

$199 delivered to your door.

789792050508lg.jpg

I am a big fan of grilled pizza. Do you make your own crust or purchase it from the grocery?

Make my own, although it is tempting to buy premade. It makes a mess.

Helps a lot to have a stand mixer and rolling pin; makes it much easier. Further, you need to start the dough at least 90 minutes ahead of grill time. That said, very doable:

4.5 cups AP Flour
1 Yeast Packet
1.5 cup of water, 90 degrees
2tsp sugar
2 TBSP EVOO
(I add in fresh chopped rosemary and honey; not required).

Mix water, yeast and sugar in stand mixer for five minutes. Slowly sift in flour, rosemary, EVOO and honey until it forms into a solid mass.

Once it is a solid piece, coat it on all sides by moving it around a greased bowl. Let rise for 75 minutes in a warm place (I use an oven top under downlight).

Once it has risen, divide into four even pieces. Roll out in all directions on a floured surface until flat as a dinner plate.

HUGE KEY: Make sure you have a clean grill surface and LIGHTLY brush in EVOO (if you over-oil it, you'll give flare ups). Little goes a long way.

Grill for 3 minutes closed. Flip, and then top heated side with sauce, toppings and cheese. If you can drop the heat, do so and then grill closed (in the logical direction) for five minutes (or until cheese melts).

My contribution:

Take a fresh tuna steak, lightly brush with olive oil.
Coat the steak with sesame seeds.
Place smothered steak in a hot skillet in a 350 dg oven for 3-4 minutes.
Place on a hot charcoal grill to seer on high for 2 minutes
Cook for 2 additional minutes under medium coal heat

Remove tuna steak(s) and serve with fresh horse radish sauce for dipping and crisp ice berg lettuce.

You'll thank me later. It's absolutely delicious.

Just threw a half dozen hand pattied 1/3 lb burgers on the gas grill.

Received my Weber charcoal chimney from amazon today, so I'm looking forward to getting some charcoal grilling going over the weekend.

My burger recipe (both my family and my wife love them):

80/20 Ground beef (~2 lb for 4 1/2lb burgers. I like the extra flavor from having more fat like this, but these are still good with 93/7)
1 Tbsp BBQ rub or seasoned salt (BBQ rub if I have a homemade one around, or Jack's Burger House seasoning salt from Dallas. Use whatever you like, though)
1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
~1/4 cup ice cold water

Mix well together in a bowl (use your hands, it's messy but it pays off)
Separate into patties, salt and pepper, make a thumb print before putting on the grill (probably assumed for most people reading this thread).

Guaranteed delicious. FWIW, that little bit of water helps keep the burgers super moist. A trick I picked up from http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/ (who I basically got this recipe from, but I've tweaked it slightly for my own use)

Tonight: Grilled Quesedillas

Filling:
Black beans, Jack cheese, Parsley flakes, Canned corn, Jalapenos
Shredded spinach, Sour Cream, Salsa
(Mix all in single bowl; salt & pepper)

Directions:
Simply spread filling inside large tortilla, fold in half, lightly coat with EVOO, grilled four minutes each side over direct medium heat.

Top with homemade guac, s/c, salsa and cheese.

I went and bought the thing at lunch. Super stoked.

Question for the group - when you grill (not smoke) over charcoal/wood, what type of fuel do you use? if you use something other than the good ol' charcoal briquettes, where do you buy it?

Back