• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I've heard of people finding nails in Cowboy, plus aforementioned small pieces. Here's a lump charcoal database

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Briquettes create a lot of ash and may have questionable additives that a ceramic Kamado will absorb. I'll admit that I've added some to lump in my Akron, but won't use it in the other two.

Last edited:
Any recommendation on a butcher in the WS area? I used to go over to the airport/Ogburn Station area when I worked close by, but don't any longer. I know that Fresh Market and other grocery stores will work most of the time, but would like to send my business to a butcher but can't really find one downtown or on the west side of town.

Looking to replace my gas grill.

Mainly down to 3 vs 4 burner Webers. Leaning towards 4—but 3 may be enough?

And between the lower tier genesis II vs upper tier genesis II LX. With the latter you get a grill still made in US, an enclosed cabinet, and a side burner. For about 600 dollars extra (for 4 burner).

Any thoughts?

I think the genesis models used to be made in US but now the lower tier ones are made in China. Still good quality?

Any fans of non-Weber gas grills? I looked briefly at Broil King—made in US and Canada. Seems you get more for your money spec wise—-but maybe not as consistent quality?

Threw down some sweet and savory pizza on the Weber tonight. Used Colorado grown Palisade Peaches on the dessert ‘za. 10/10, would make again

41e8731ccb67966e0baa4c8c79f0da07.jpg

3ae8c18fcb44edc1c954890aef8ea531.jpg

Ugggg the wife’s all in on the grilling causes cancer nonsense

Isn’t it just charring meat that’s been classified as cancer causing? And trump has been eating well done steaks for 60 years.

Uncle bought me a BGE (Large) as a wedding gift. No experience, but seems pretty sweet. What's the need to knows and must buy accessories before I get started?

Also, before I crack this thing open, is large the standard size for home/back patio grilling? It looked big enough to me, but obviously things change once you start throwing the food on

Uncle bought me a BGE (Large) as a wedding gift. No experience, but seems pretty sweet. What's the need to knows and must buy accessories before I get started?

Replace the cast iron top vent with stainless steel. Buy a DigiQ.

Edit to add -DigiQ makes it easy to set and forget. It’s worth spending time knowing how to cook without it first, but in the end this is a worthwhile accessory.

Last edited:
Anybody have a backyard pizza oven they love - would like to hear your experiences, particularly if you have a Uuni or Roccbox.

Trying a Brisket for the first time tomorrow, any last minute tips?

Unless you cook it low and slow, the brisket will most likely be tough. You need enough internal temps for the collagens to break down.

Unless you cook it low and slow, the brisket will most likely be tough. You need enough internal temps for the collagens to break down.

Didn't understand the brisket phrase "Tasty is easy, tender is tough" until my first attempt at smoking one.

Back