• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

I went and bought the thing at lunch. Super stoked.

Question for the group - when you grill (not smoke) over charcoal/wood, what type of fuel do you use? if you use something other than the good ol' charcoal briquettes, where do you buy it?

I've enjoyed using real hardwood this year; lights quickly using a chimney smoker and holds heat really well. I will mix in used big chunks with unused chunks as the old stuff will relight.

The last couple of bags I purchased were the Whole Foods brand because I was there for steaks or whatever.

I went and bought the thing at lunch. Super stoked.

Question for the group - when you grill (not smoke) over charcoal/wood, what type of fuel do you use? if you use something other than the good ol' charcoal briquettes, where do you buy it?

I use lump charcoal, but that's just my preference. Never, ever, under any circumstances get presoaked charcoal. I dont even use lighter fluid. Leave a bad taste IMO. Go with one of these:

weber_charcoal_chimney.jpg

I have a natural gas Weber hooked to my residential line. I never have to switchout tanks or wait for charcoal to heat up. I love it. Most things I grill on top of a soaked cedar plank. Woot has incredible deals on cedar planks from time to time. I love placing a sweet potato on the top rack and roasting it for about an hour and a half. So delicious.

Threads like this make me miss my grill dearly. The only real downside to my condo. But I thought I would pass along one of my favorite and easy grilling recipes of all time.

Goose breast
Italian dressing marinade
Jalapenos
cream cheese
shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to shred my own, usuall extra sharp or private stock Cabot)
bacon

[1] marinate goose overnight in italian dressing
[2] cut jalapenos in half, removing seeds
[3] mix cream cheese and shredded cheddar
[4] put cheese mixture into pepper
[5] put slices of goose on top of cheese mixture
[6] wrap with bacon and secure with one or more toothpicks
[7] grill until bacon and goose are cooked

This can be done with chicken as well, and probably duck breast (though I've never tried). So very tasty.

I have a natural gas Weber hooked to my residential line. I never have to switchout tanks or wait for charcoal to heat up. I love it. Most things I grill on top of a soaked cedar plank. Woot has incredible deals on cedar planks from time to time. I love placing a sweet potato on the top rack and roasting it for about an hour and a half. So delicious.

I've always wondered if this was as awesome as it seems. My next house is going to have an outdoor kitchen (fridge, prep area, freezer, cooktop). Having a land gas line would be boss. I have no idea why in the heck gas grill mfr's don't have a more reliable gauge system so you know how low you are at a given time.

I've always wondered if this was as awesome as it seems. My next house is going to have an outdoor kitchen (fridge, prep area, freezer, cooktop). Having a land gas line would be boss. I have no idea why in the heck gas grill mfr's don't have a more reliable gauge system so you know how low you are at a given time.

It's a little effort, but you can pour a pitcher of water on your propane tank while you are grilling. The expansion of the LP chills the tank, and ice will form on the outside. Doing so, you'll always know your current level.

It's a little effort, but you can pour a pitcher of water on your propane tank while you are grilling. The expansion of the LP chills the tank, and ice will form on the outside. Doing so, you'll always know your current level.

Wow, that's good stuff. Thanks.

Tonight was a Moroccan rubbed pork loin, w/ cous-cous (chicken stock; b/c water is for simps) and broccoli.

Tried my hand a some skirt steak and grilled vegetables last night...turned out well.

Marinated the steak in a mixture of EVOO, cilantro, jalapenos, rosemary, vinegar, and lime juice for a couple of hours. On the grill over high direct heat for about 3 minutes a side, came out medium rare for the most part. Cut against the grain and was delicious. Made some semblance of a chimichurri to go with it(included cilantro which I have heard makes it not a real chimichurri).

Also grilled some red potatoes that had been par boiled, cut in half, rubbed with oil and seasoned with Old Bay and broccoli. Probably won't be grilling broccoli again anytime soon...but everything else was great.

biggest mistake of hulk hogans career: not endorsing the now 'george foreman' grill.

Here's an idea:

I watch a lot of foodnetwork, and they are always hustling inexpensive cuts of meat prepared in alternative ways (braising or slow cooking usually).
Pork loin (not tenderloin, but loin) usu. goes for $1.99/lb, and I tried to cook it over indirect heat (much like a pork shoulder). It did fairly well with a rub and plenty of time, and given that you buy way too much, I was contemplating what go do with the leftovers.

Enter: Inspiration.

I took the food processer's slicing attachment, and rev'd that baby up to cruising altitude. In about three seconds, I had razor thin ribbons of pork that turned into an amazing entree meat for some carnitas burritos for the family; topped with a usual blend of canned corn, black beans, salsa, sour cream and jack cheese. Turning one meal into two. If Randy Moss had been at my house, he would have declared they were an unbroken linear shape used for currency, my domesticated friend.

I'm in the market for a new grill. Would like to spend less than $350.

Make my own, although it is tempting to buy premade. It makes a mess.

Helps a lot to have a stand mixer and rolling pin; makes it much easier. Further, you need to start the dough at least 90 minutes ahead of grill time. That said, very doable:

4.5 cups AP Flour
1 Yeast Packet
1.5 cup of water, 90 degrees
2tsp sugar
2 TBSP EVOO
(I add in fresh chopped rosemary and honey; not required).

Mix water, yeast and sugar in stand mixer for five minutes. Slowly sift in flour, rosemary, EVOO and honey until it forms into a solid mass.

Once it is a solid piece, coat it on all sides by moving it around a greased bowl. Let rise for 75 minutes in a warm place (I use an oven top under downlight).

Once it has risen, divide into four even pieces. Roll out in all directions on a floured surface until flat as a dinner plate.

HUGE KEY: Make sure you have a clean grill surface and LIGHTLY brush in EVOO (if you over-oil it, you'll give flare ups). Little goes a long way.

Grill for 3 minutes closed. Flip, and then top heated side with sauce, toppings and cheese. If you can drop the heat, do so and then grill closed (in the logical direction) for five minutes (or until cheese melts).

Looks like I have a lot to learn this spring. I generally use a pizza stone on the grill. Any thoughts on pizza stones?

Last edited:
Biggest issue with gas grills for me is making sure they get hot enough. I have a Jen-Air with 3 burners. Eats gas like crazy and struggles to heat up over 500 degrees, Looks great though, so I have that going for me....

Weber charcoal is the heat. What is the best way to start coals? Isometimes use two of the cylinders with a little vegatable oil poured in to help start....Or should I just use the one starter and puy fresh coals on top after it lights?

Last night I tried slowed cooked RibEyes. Took two RibEyes about 1" thick (season to your liking). Cook on Indirect Heat( Use Charcoal or Gas your choice) 30min. on one side - turn and 10 min on the other side. Then for 5 to 10 min. put directly over heat. Remove from the grill and put some butter on the meat, let it melt in and serve.

see pages 1 and 2 of this thread and come over to my house to see it in real life. not sure when the sale ends.

Oh, I see. That thing looks pretty sweet. This is what I get for not reading the thread.

Last night I tried slowed cooked RibEyes. Took two RibEyes about 1" thick (season to your liking). Cook on Indirect Heat( Use Charcoal or Gas your choice) 30min. on one side - turn and 10 min on the other side. Then for 5 to 10 min. put directly over heat. Remove from the grill and put some butter on the meat, let it melt in and serve.

Interesting, I generally do this the other way - Sear first over direct, then give it some time with indirect. Do you still get the same "crust" when you sear at the end instead of the beginning? What's the advantage of this method?

Anyone have any unique grilled vegetable recommendations? Just about everything is in season as the Teeter, and I'm looking to try something nontraditional on the grill.

Back