• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Grilling Thread

How long was the bead of drool coming out of your dog's jowls

Haha, I'm not an expert on drool consistency but hers is extremely thin. Falls straight to the floor like water drops. So yeah, quite the puddle in the kitchen floor.

That’s a nice stand.

Bought myself some WiFi thermometers for Father’s Day and trying a brisket on Sunday. Welcome any rub suggestions. Will report back.

That’s a nice stand.

Bought myself some WiFi thermometers for Father’s Day and trying a brisket on Sunday. Welcome any rub suggestions. Will report back.

I've never done anything other than 50% course black ground pepper and 50% kosher salt. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Interested to hear how your thermometers do.

I love my WiFi thermo. Really handy. This weekend I'm trying out an infrared grill I bought second hand for our lake house (#humblebrag) never cooked on one before will be interesting to see how it differs from traditional gas grill.

I got tired of ruining perfectly good steaks. I did my first reverse sear a month or so ago and it turned out good. See the pic.
872cfbe030619eae3976a243c0ac20f0.jpg

Then I tried it again and the one I cut up for my kids and my wife’s were medium well but mine was well done. Never again.

Are you measuring internal temp before you sear? I usually pull mine off a few degrees before the lower end of rare then finish for 60 seconds on each side, let rest for 10 minutes. Usually gets me right on MR

Yeah. I measured internal temp before searing but when I didn’t get it to the desired temp after 60 sec on each side, I left it on.

I got tired of ruining perfectly good steaks. I did my first reverse sear a month or so ago and it turned out good. See the pic.

Then I tried it again and the one I cut up for my kids and my wife’s were medium well but mine was well done. Never again.

you should have sent yours to the White House and taken a tax deduction

Haven’t gotten into the WiFi thermometers yet.

I did purchase this instant-read one several months ago and it’s great.

On sale 15 bucks off just now.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Interesting. I have the exact same model and hated mine. Just could never get a consistent reading. Also didn’t work well for me since I had to open the egg every time to measure. Probably not as big of a deal on other cookers.

Glad you are enjoying yours! Here’s what I have now, it’s been excellent IMO: https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wi...r&qid=1560604484&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

This is why I generally sous vide my steaks.

Interesting. I have the exact same model and hated mine. Just could never get a consistent reading. Also didn’t work well for me since I had to open the egg every time to measure. Probably not as big of a deal on other cookers.

Glad you are enjoying yours! Here’s what I have now, it’s been excellent IMO: https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wi...r&qid=1560604484&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Yep, mine’s great. Seems very quick and accurate/consistent. Love that its large, auto lighting, rotating reading is so easy to see.

Of course, prior to this I was using an old analog one with a tiny dial.

Sous vide newbie here. For those that sous vide their steaks, or anything else really, do you use a vacuum sealer or just the immersion displacement method with a ziploc bag? Does that method work well at all or should I spring for a vacuum?

Sous vide newbie here. For those that sous vide their steaks, or anything else really, do you use a vacuum sealer or just the immersion displacement method with a ziploc bag? Does that method work well at all or should I spring for a vacuum?

I have a pretty basic FoodSaver and use it all of the time. Definitely easier for the sous vide stuff, plus it comes in handy for just saving/freezing food. Got big pieces or salmon and halibut at Costco yesterday and now they are in the freezer as 7 vacuum sealed pieces. Also, I'll sous vide some things and then freeze them. We're having turkey burgers tonight that I actually sous vide a month or so ago. They are defrosting in the fridge right now, and then I will throw them on the grill with some apple wood to bring them up to temp and give them a little color. I don;t know that you could get a good enough seal doing the submersion method to go from sous vide to freezer.

We have a Food Saver. Bought it for fishing but similarly we buy big packs of steaks from Costco and break them up.

We have a Food Saver. Bought it for fishing but similarly we buy big packs of steaks from Costco and break them up.

You can save even more money if you buy the whole loin and cut your own steaks. You have much more control over the thickness that way. Its especially good if you want to cut some thinner steaks for kids and the olds.

That’s a nice stand.

add some paprika, garlic powder, maybe a little onion powder, and maybe a little ancho powder. i've read of some people using molasses as a binder and it sounds rather interesting.

add some paprika, garlic powder, maybe a little onion powder, and maybe a little ancho powder. i've read of some people using molasses as a binder and it sounds rather interesting.

not allowing me to edit - but that is in addition to the salt and pepper base.

Back